The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT 2014 (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
This is great, a possible 4 magic acts in the final 12. WOW. And the Houdini Mini Series Tonight. A lot of magic on TV which I love. I watch all the shows.
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
Last nights two magicians were great. The best two magic acts I have ever seen on AGT. We'll see tonight if they get through. I think they will, the performances were that good.
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
First of all I thought all Mike Super's stuff was lame. He didn't do one thing that took any skill. Smoothini and Mat Franco were great! Smoothini takes some basic magic, and makes it great with his personality (I'm just messin with you, I'm just messin with you)). I know the old shoelaces through the pocket and down the leg trick, but that's usually used for tied/untied shoelaces. Howies ring on the shoelaces was a brilliant touch. Matt Franco's routine with Mel B's phone was phenomenal! He had to have assistants on that one. He took two pictures of the cards, so I guessed duplicate phones, but one still had to be loaded in the seat 642 or 462 therefore also a force with three different cards involved. Brilliant
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, TCB wrote:
First of all I thought all Mike Super's stuff was lame. He didn't do one thing that took any skill. Smoothini and Mat Franco were great! Smoothini takes some basic magic, and makes it great with his personality (I'm just messin with you, I'm just messin with you)). I know the old shoelaces through the pocket and down the leg trick, but that's usually used for tied/untied shoelaces. Howies ring on the shoelaces was a brilliant touch. Matt Franco's routine with Mel B's phone was phenomenal! He had to have assistants on that one. He took two pictures of the cards, so I guessed duplicate phones, but one still had to be loaded in the seat 642 or 462 therefore also a force with three different cards involved. Brilliant

I agree MikeSuper's act was merely a force (not a very well done one) and a reveal. I was blown away by Smoothini but when I watched it a second time I saw all that what he did. It was still a lot to pull all that off on camera and he was cleaner than last time. The one with the seat really fooled me. That is a good point about the two pictures.

Smoothini did not make it through. I think he messed up by complete ignoring Howard Stern all three times. Howard's ego cannot handle that and he probably lobbied hard to get rid of him even though he was very good the night before.
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Howard was absolutely right.Smoothini needed illusions that play much bigger for this juncture of the competition. Mat Franco understood this, and that's why he is in the final 12
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Well, the results are in. One of the three magician acts made it through to the final round next week. A magician now has a one in six chance. It's a long shot, but good exposure for the top three.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Four vocal acts made the final six. That is a bit much and kind of disappointing. AGT is not The Voice nor American Idol, and the primary reason I watch AGT is because all sorts of variety acts are included in the competition. The only two non-vocal acts in next weeks finals competition are Acro Army and Mat Franco.

I will be rooting for Mat Franco, but would not be disappointed if vocalist Emily West wins...IMO she is fantastic.

"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
I have a paltry
121 Posts

Profile of Inviso
I think Howard could be right, the 4 great singing acts may water down the votes and give Mat an outside chance. I do think it will be Emily West that wins.

BTW, Mat made a great save on that last performance without skipping a beat.
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
Once again proving how effective an ACR is to laymen! Smile
Mike.Hankins

Instagram: MHMagic77

Twitter: @HankinsMagic

FaceBook: Yup!
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
I am glad Matt made it through. All of the magicians were top level this year and I was rooting for them all.
On a side note. for Matt's last performance, do you think the judges missed the fact that when he did his ambitious card bit for Heidi he had the wrong card in his mouth?
Also, though I doubt the judges caught it because of misdirection, but how many lay people in the TV audience caught the switch with the tin and card that was seemed so blatant on TV. Or would it only be obvious to magicians? I mean I know I've noticed when the switch happens with many top level magicians, but only because I know when and how it does happen. As such I can't turn off my mind enough to be fooled. I can see the move is flawless, but I know it. Like knowing the hype in 3 card monte.

Good luck Matt!! I hope you win!! Smile Smile
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Question about Matt's last performance, S9 Ep22. This is the performance that got him into the final 6. His opener he used a card force I have seen many times and seems very popular when a TV magician wants to force a card on his TV audience. I have no idea what it is called, I call it visible retention force. He riffles the deck at the camera, we see all the different cards fly by, but one stands out. Usually the flow is smoother than his was, the cards seemed to stop at the force, most times it just kind blurs by, but still stands out.
Is it a gaff one buys? Or a gaff one makes? I am NOT asking the secret, I just want sources to buy or research. Thanks
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2501 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
There are gaffed and ungaffed methods
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Should all these methods of this and that really be discussed in this thread? Just sayin', some things are being discussed in more detail than they should be, don't you think?
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
47 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
Congrats to Matt Franco for making it to the finals! Your magic is smart, amazing, and fun. Good luck.

I also really enjoyed David and Leeman. Kudos to all the magicians who performed this year. Smile
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Tomorrow night will be Mat's last chance to perform and get votes. Whether he wins or not, he's done well as a magician on AGT. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the top 12 acts go on a tour? If so, then there will be three magic acts on the tour. Not bad...
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3007 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Hope they don't punt and just give it to a singer again.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4973 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Hope they don't punt and just give it to a singer again.

I suspect that at least some of the producers get a cut from the subsequent pennies that winners make. Probably more likely that a singer will bring in the coin in greater quantity than a magish would.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3007 Posts

Good point. That explains a lot.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3007 Posts

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Nice!

Magician Mat Franco is the winner!

Top Six Order:

6 - Miguel Dakota
5 - Quintavious Johnson
4 - Sons of Serendip
3 - Acro Army
2 - Emily West
1 - Mat Franco

Congrats to Mat Franco!

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT 2014 (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL