We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic - Is there an alternative? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a lot of pictures, but they really don't make a lot of sense without the instructions.

I might order a copy and put my English version up on eBay.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Sorry dude, Garcia's sponge ball book is awesome. I got mine in 1976 with my first set of sponge balls.
If I didn't own it I would aquire it.
Think of it this way... the book won't go down in price.
Aside from e-bay try contacting the publisher or Frank's Garcia's Estate.

Kregg
POOF!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. If you read the earlier threads on this, I was one of the people who recommended this book over any other source. What I meant was that the German book would be of little value to most of the people on this forum, because without the English text, the pictures will not suffice to teach sponge ball magic.

I have no problem reading German. If you have Paramiracles or Sheherazade you have work that I have translated from German into English. So, if the German version has all the material from the English version, I would find it as useful to me as the English version. And putting mine on eBay wouldn't limit me at all.

But it would cost me a personal autograph from my late friend, Frank Garcia.

I would never say anything against this book.

BTW, this book was self-published. So if there is to be any further printings of it, they will have to be done by permission of his estate.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Sorry Bill I should have been clearer. I only meant to agree that the book is worth every dollar. You could probably fetch $350 plus for an autographed copy in pristine condition.
I recently purchased Cards as Weapons at a whopping price. I couldn't figure out why I didn't buy it when it first came out? Then, I opened the book and saw the nude photographs.
Oh yeah, I was only sixteen.

Kregg
POOF!
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
For those of you who own a copy of Garcia's book hold on to your hats...I just found a site (biblio.com) with a copy for sale. Get this, it's priced at $500! I'm glad I got my copy for $20 when I did.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Kregg:

Thanks for clearing that up!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TXKEVIN
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TXKEVIN
Oli-
I speak German and appreciated the tip. Ordered a copy today.
Vielen Dank
ostadler
View Profile
New user
Munich, Germany
59 Posts

Profile of ostadler
Hello TXKEVIN,

You are welcome and I´m sure you will love it! The encyclopedia is purely awesome.

Have fun,

Greetings from Munich,

Oli
poppa
View Profile
New user
Austin, Tx.
73 Posts

Profile of poppa
Is there any one book that deals mostly with Sleights, Palms, vanishes, etc... instead of routines?
~Poppa Jim Mitchell
http://www.AVisitWithSanta.com
MarcDominic
View Profile
New user
U.K.
12 Posts

Profile of MarcDominic
Garcia's book is exellent but there a number of DVD's on the market now which cover many of the slights and some of the newer moves.

When I put together my routine I spent time looking a billard ball manipulation - many of the vanishes and productions work well with sponge balls and Pat Page gave me some novel ideas on using a standard dye tube with sponges used both with and without silks.
Childrens Entertainer of the Year 2005 - Finalist
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 15:01, ostadler wrote:
Hello all,

I have just started with Sponge ball magic and found this thread. As I come from Germany I want to draw your attention to a German translation of Frank Garcia's Sponge Ball Encyclopedia. I found this title in a German magic shop Check out and needless to say I just ordered myself a copy Smile . The price is about 20 Euro.
Maybe some of you will find this hint usefull. Personally I think that a German translation (even for a non German speaker) is a good alternative to the original book for hundreds of dollars....

I hope that helped ;-)

Greetings from Germany,

Oli

My German is poor buy I read French reasonably well. Does anyone know of a French version of Garcia's book?

ME
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
398 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
The free market at an auction is interesting,

At a tremendous personal sacrificee, I am willing to sell my copy of Garcia's "Encyclopedia" for $500.

... any takers ?
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Also I would hate it and it would hurt me hard, my copy/mint condition, goes for the measly sum of 1000 $.

Please don't overflow my mailbox re that favourite offer, I've only one copy..first come, first serve Smile Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
ljgrant
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of ljgrant
Quote:
On 2004-08-06 21:02, Mitch Schneiter wrote:
For those of you who own a copy of Garcia's book hold on to your hats...I just found a site (biblio.com) with a copy for sale. Get this, it's priced at $500!

This makes my $200 purchase of it as a rare book on eBay seem like a bargain!
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
398 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Is this book still going for such high prices? I am tempted to put mine up for sale. Does anyone have an idea of how much this is going for these days ?
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
It would seem the copyright owner has a goldmine should he or she desire to publish a reprint. You could charge twice or more what a book of that size would retail for at todays book prices and still be considered reasonable.

If the copyright has expired then lets hope an enterprising magic publisher will print it, or would we rather have Dover books buy it up and put it into the hands of every kid who browses a local bookstore. Remember Bobo's Coin Magic?

(Wow - almost a year later and this thread still lives!)
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Frank..don't know about a "Goldmine", how many copies do you think would be sold Worldwide?

Hardly Harry Potter dimensions!

Howard
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I sold my mint copy just several minutes ago.
... not that anyone cares.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
You are right Howard, no one gets rich selling magic or even publishing books, Just ask Richard Kaufman. I let my enthusiasm get away from me. Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Frank, I think we all bet carried away in "our " little world.
I keep saying.....look at the number of people on line here..World Wide..the proverbial "drop in the Ocean".

Thats why it makes me laugh when things get a little heated on here and the thread gets locked/deleted/removed...who is bothered what is said ..hardly going to cause World war 3 is it.

Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic - Is there an alternative? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL