The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Wesley James Book is out. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
peterdgr8
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of peterdgr8
I lifted this off the Hermetic Press site. This book could be a winner. (Albeit, at $55 list, a very expensive one.)

Available January 26

With Wesley James's Enchantments you will find yourself confronting one of the largest volumes of original card magic ever conceived by one man—500 pages of shrewd and sophisticated material by a modern creator and performer who has repeatedly shown his ability to make important and lasting contributions to the field. Wesley James has been a palpable presence for many years on the cutting edge of New York City's card scene and magic underground. During more than fifty years in magic, twenty-five as a full-time professional, he performed nearly every variety of magic from close-up to illusions, from kid shows to corporate parties, and everything between. For many years he refused to lecture for magicians, reserving his original material to enable him to earn his living. Now retired, he shares his professional secrets freely.

Enchantments is an important testament to Mr. James's devotion, cunning and expertise in a world in which he rubbed shoulders and traded thoughts with the twentieth century's finest cardmen, from Vernon to Marlo, from Krenzel to Dingle. These personal involvements, amplified by a thorough study of the literature of card magic, have produced a body of work rare in the quality of its thought and innovation.

Enchantments collects and presents in illuminating detail the fruits of Wesley James's intense involvement with the invention and perfection of card magic from the 1960's right up to yesterday. Within the covers of this volume you will find fresh plots playing neighbor to new presentations and combinations of past classics and overlooked gems. You will find effects with Aces and packets, presentations of visual magic and mental magic; and you will find a wealth of new sleights and tools, with far-reaching possibilities for application, including in-depth studies of false shuffles and deals, multiple lifts, passes and palming. Enchantments is a milestone from one of card magic's most innovative and persistent thinkers. Its contents benefit from a rare combination of technical knowledge and performing experience. To read this book is to share with Mr. James in a breadth of thought, a depth of understanding and an enchantment in the presentation of quality card magic!

Here is a sampling of topics explored in Enchantments—

"Forgery," the innovative plot that, though unpublished, spawned an entire generation of "fusion" effects, in which two signed cards magically merge to form one.

A variety of strong Ace effects, from card sandwiches to assemblies, including "progressive" assembly sequences.

Packet effects and exciting new false displays, done with ordinary cards--and a couple with less ordinary ones.

"Card Warp" hyper-warped—not only do you visibly turn a card inside out, you make it into an impossible object that is given to the spectators to keep.

Mental presentations and beautifully disguised mathematical principles capable of wide and varied application.

These topics only begin to suggest the breadth of information and the amount of performance-tested material presented with painstaking care by Wesley James in what must be considered a major new work in the field of card magic, opening a door on a world of true Enchantments!
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Could be? Anything from Wes deserves the serious attention of any student of magic. Though it's early in the year, I have a strong feeling that this will be one of the best releases of 2004. It's certainly the one I'm most looking forward to. Wes is one of the few people whose stuff I will buy sight-unseen.

$55 is cheap for the quality of material you'll find in this book.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Agreed. I'll be snapping it up in the near future and posting a review of it when I do.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
As usuall Scott, when it come to books, we think almost the same. I have preordered "Enchantments" allready, as I purchace ANYTHING that comes out from Hermetic Press unseen.
As Richard Kaufamn seems to devote most of his time with Genii, and not writing any more books, Hermetic Press has now become my number one book source.
Also in my oppinion I have always thought that Stephen Minch is a far better writer than Richard.

Richard is of course a better illustrator Smile

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Peo,

I can fully understand you. Hermetic press stuff is top notch. I have been tempeted to buy their books on many occasions and was never disappointed, something I can't say for other publications.

Nir
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I have long admired the work of Wesley James through various magazines and booklets he has published. I spoke to Stephen Minch some time ago and Stephen advised he was completing the large hard back book of Wesley's entitled Enchantments. Honestly, my very first inclination though was "another book all on card magic?". Well, Stephen sent me a galley copy and all I can say is this is an absolute MUST HAVE. This is one of the best magic books I have read in a LONG time with some simply superb material. As mentioned, I've been a fan of Wesley's thinking in the past but I found the material in this book to be amazingly even a notch up which I did not know was possible. Wesley really CARES and THINKS about his magic and the combination of Wesley and Stephen working on this book makes it spectacular. This is one book that will stay in my library as a constant reference source with some excellent material I will be working on. Great book! Great job Wesley and Stephen.

Tim
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
Thanks for the insider info on this book, Tim. Sounds like a great endorsement. I'm also a BIG fan of the stuff that Hermetic is publishing these days. A class act all around.

For what it's worth, I see that Martin Joyal is doing a pre-release discount on this book like he did with Hermetic's James in Print (which inspired me to take the plunge on THAT volume. I wasn't sorry. Different James, of course. Smile ) http://www.joyalstack.com At least it gets the retail price down into slightly more do-able territory.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Wes will be offering the book on his website as soon as he has them in his hands -- most likely by the end of the week. I'd recommend buying direct from him. It's always nice to support the creator directly. I'll post a link once he has it up.

As I said earlier, $55 is cheap for the quality and quantity of material you're getting in this book.

I've had the pleasure of meeting with Wes on a semi-regular basis in NYC. He has a unique talent for cutting direct to the heart of an effect and maximizing its impact in an very entertaining manner. This book is not one to be passed up.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
What is Wes' website address?

Dan
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Magical Tools: http://www.pipeline.com/~magicaltools

As soon as the book is available, I'll post a direct link to it.

-Jim
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Thanks Jim...
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
89 Posts

Profile of shahin
WOW, just read the contents of the book on Wesleys website, sounds very promising!

Shahin
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
The book is now posted on Wes's website. As Shahin mentioned, you can see the full contents here:

http://www.pipeline.com/~magicaltools/itemse03.htm

Enjoy!
-Jim

The books are now available!

I just got word from Wes that he has the books in his hands and is ready to ship. You can order direct from him at the link I posted above.

I should have my copy by early next week -- I'll give a review once I'm done (which could take a while, given the amount of material and Wes's attention to detail).

-Jim
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Does anyone know what the status of these books is? I ordered mine over a week ago and it said they were available on the 26th. I ordered mine through Hank Lee's priority mail and still haven't recieved it. Does anyone know how these orders are being handled? I'm not upset or anything as I trust and believe in the places I placed my order, I just want to know the status of and how these orders are being handled... Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Every since buying his lecture notes decades ago I've been waiting for him to publish a book. Buying this is a no-brainer.

Larry D.
Zach Allen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Zach Allen
Bumbleface,
This is merely spectulation, but perhaps Wes was shipping them out to distributors/dealers after he received them. If he got them on the 26th or thereabouts, Hank's might not have them yet. I know things like that have happened before, so that might be the case.

Zach
Check out all 6 of my e-books!
The Magic of Zach Allen

Also, here is a free PDF of ideas:
Starlit Circles
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Wes had the books in his hands on the 28th (, as I stated in my last post. I doubt anyone else received them prior to that date. I can't tell you for certain who has them and when they will be shipped. All I do know is that Wes has his copies and is shipping them now. I would expect that, since you have order yours from Hank Lee, you could have it by this time next week. However, I would recommend that if you want to know about their shipment, you contact Hank Lee.

I just picked up my copy from Wes in person today. It looks great! There's a ton of material here, several of which I already know are winners.

-Jim
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I took a sneak peek at this book yesterday, and I almost fainted. I was in card magic heaven. If you are a card guy, this is a must have. For $55 you are getting a beautiful 500 page book. I'm amazed at the detail in the writing and the production quality of the book. It looks like it must have taken 10 years to write! It will be in my collection very soon!
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Frank, you'll probably be interested in this then, since I know you've attended some of these events in the past. Wes will be doing a book signing as well as a workshop (limited to about 15 people) at Michael Canick's on Feb 15th. Details will be on the website sometime this week.

If you're available on Saturday's, you should stop by at Café Rustico and meet Wes in person -- he's a great guy.

As far as material in the book goes, Forgery has been one of my main effects for about a year now, and Brownian Movement was added to my repertoire several months ago. Both are absolutely fantastic effects -- don't pass them up because they are "simple". Some other effects I'll be working on: Hyperwarp, his Ambitious Card routine, I'll Put Money On It, Chameleon Cards Revisited, Divine Miraskill, and Watch the Wild Ace. And that's all just after my first, initial read-through.

Try out the Two-Step Double lift -- it's very deceptive. And The Unload Subtlety was something I immediately incorporated after he showed it to me about a year ago. The Coughlin Palm Replacement is a great technique that's not too difficult to do.

Can you tell I like the book? Smile

-Jim
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Wait, I have a question: Does anyone know when Hank Lee's got the books in to ship out? I ask because if Mr. James got the books on the 28th and shipped them to Boston by Friday...then that means that by priority mail I should get the book by tomorrow at the latest? Anyone know about this? Better yet, has anyone in Boston gotten their book yet? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Wesley James Book is out. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL