We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Book Tests: "The Mysterious Affair" by Jim Kleefeld (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10431 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Many of you may be familar by now with the creative mind of Mr. Jim Kleefeld - creator of Cinema Verite (which I use often).

This past week Jim just quietly released a beautiful new set of 2 beautufully clothbound books(or three with the deluxe version).

The set seems to offer quite a bit of latitude to get either words or images. If anyone gets this I would love to hear a review!

I just bought MOABT yesterday from Craig and so I am saving my sheckels to perhaps get this set at a later date.

The concept sounds like something that Earle & Becker might have done - I have no idea as to the workings.

Here is the ad copy and link (I'm assuming Stevens Magic will carry this soon):

A book test of extraordinary quality.

They choose either book. They open to any page. They choose to concentrate on either words or illustrations.

You tell them exactly what they are thinking.

No fishing. No outs. No anagrams. No extra props. No lengthy memorization. No force. No crib sheets. You never ask the page number.

The Regular version contains two hardcover Hercule Poirot novels written by Agatha Christie, the world's best-selling author. Both books are different with different characters and locations throughout. Both books contain a complete novel and can be read from beginning to end without suspicion. Clothbound, fully illustrated, signature sewn, gold stamped with full laminated dust jackets and ISBN numbers, exactly as you would buy in any trade book store. Both can be read cover to cover without discovering the subtle secret. You could give either to a librarian, editor or publisher to examine and they would swear the books are legitimate and normal.

No duplicate pages or sections, no short pages, no bizarre vocabulary or nonsense sentences of any kind.

Yet, amazingly, this effect is still very easy to do.

The Mysterious Affair Standard Version comes with two hardcover books, The Mysterious Affair at Styles and The Cavendish Poisoning. Includes a clearly written instruction book with directions, additional routines, tips and suggestions for other effects. A solid mentalist effect for the working pro, and also a very high quality product for the discerning collector.

The Deluxe version of The Mysterious Affair comes with three Agatha Christie books in a published series.

You get The Mysterious Affair at Styles, The Cavendish Poisoning and The Body in the Library. Each is hardbound, sewn in signatures, with a full laminated dust jacket.

All three books are different, with different characters and locations, although all three are Hercule Poirot stories. Each book is complete and can be read all the way through as an exciting mystery novel without discerning the subtle secret. The three books are varied colors with distinct art design, just like regular novels in a mystery series. Carry all three and give any spectator a free choice of any one of the books
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10431 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Thanks for the link, just had a look at the site and found some very nice things.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1590 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I have ordered the deluxe version. Looks promising.

Jim Kleefeld, in an email exchange, tells me that the performer is reading the thought in a sentence more than a specific word. The performer can also communicate the sense in a visual illustration on the page the spectator has chosen.

George
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
491 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
I'm very interested to see reviews from people who buy this book test.

I really like the idea that it uses REAL books by a well-known author.

To me, that is much less suspicious than MOABT, even though everyone raves about it.

I don't own any gimmicked book tests right now, I've been thinking about picking up the pocket edition of MOABT,
but this one looks like something that would work better for me since I'm a big classic murder mystery fan.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I've never heard of the author of these books and it really doesn't matter. Earlier this year I performed the mother and the participant told me that he recognized the book and the author. Reason being? Because it looks like a real book as that's the way I treat it and that's the way it is.

There are so many books by so many authors that if a participant ever said that that isn't a real author, I'd be shocked and amazed. I do however like the look and idea of Jim's test, maybe in the future I'll pick it up but at the moment, I just don't have a use for it in my show.

All the best on his release.
Twitter @darjames
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1590 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
The author of the three novels is Agatha Christie, who is one of the very top selling fiction writers in the English-speaking world. I can identify with Jamie D; there are probably prominent authors that I have not heard of.

But, in most any audience, there will be people who have heard of Christie and some who have read her, which (with a few other book tests like the Tossed Out Book Test) gives Jim's new effect a leg up in plausibility. When I perform this, I am hoping to involve spectators who have read at least one Agatha Christie novel.

George
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
841 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Just bought the deluxe version and expect it soon. Excited for arrival! I have been a lifelong fan of all kinds of detective/ mystery movies, some writers, and especially love the UK and Masterpiece theatre TV series, including Hercule Poirot in these Agatha Christie books. Can't wait to get it and try it out as most of my friends know my intedests and will just assume that I have had these copies in my "real" book collection for awhile (as do they with my Dopps collection)...!
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2649 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I'll chime in and say that I've got this, and I've used it. I use only the one book, but it looks - at least to an American - like a perfectly normal book that might be associated with the series on PBS.

You can read the book. It is fully examinable and I've got no qualms at all about letting someone handle it. It is convincing. I'd have preferred that the font was justified to the edge of the page, but the book does look pretty authentic.

Now, the thing that I find particularly striking about this method is that there is no pumping involved whatsoever. You can go right into your reveal. It is improbably simple, and slots perfectly into a show that I am working on with another performer at the moment. I'm genuinely impressed with the originality behind this and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys this plot.

Best,

Atlas
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Just my 2 cents - I got this and immediatly can see this is one of the cleverest book test I have ever seen. I will be adding this in to my show very soon as it's direct and startling!
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Book Tests: "The Mysterious Affair" by Jim Kleefeld (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL