The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billets, Business Cards, and Playing Cards (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17584 Posts

Profile of Slim King
OF COURSE TOM IS 100% RIGHT! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Bottom line- mentalism isn't something you can present just by buying tricks. And, sorry, but reading is fundamental to learning the art properly. If you have problems reading maybe you should take some remedial courses there before venturing into mentalism. Most decent mentalists are pretty well-educated people and I'd say a large percentage of them are voracious readers, not only of mentalism books, but of literature and non-fiction as well. It's all part of creating the persona needed to present mentalism credibly.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3158 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Hi Raven13,

Given your posts above, I honestly don't think mentalism is right for you.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I especially liked atoms comments and advice.

Being good at mental magic, mentalism or even magic requires knowledge not just of the methods but even more more significantly the psychology and understanding the tools of presentation.

So far what I'm reading from you makes me less inclined to be helpful as you seem to want short cuts and you seem proud that you are making that crystal clear.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Sorry Toms advice lol. Typing on my iPhone.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12100 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Sorry Toms advice lol. Typing on my iPhone.

Atom Ant always has good advice.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3661 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Raven13 regardless of whether you wish to perform professionally or make a living from the art, the only way to transcend beyond "cheesy tricks" is to develop and cultivate a real love and respect for the art. Once you cultivate that deep respect for the art then you will find that the required study becomes fun rather than a chore and the journey becomes satisfying in its own right, not just because people whoop, cheer and marvel at your abilities. If you truly love what you do that will come across to your spectators, that enthusiasm becomes infectious and you are on the road to creating art and wonder rather than merely doing tricks.

However the other half of the puzzle to going beyond merely doing tricks is rather than seeking out new things to try out around town, look at what you already do that works well and hone it to perfection. If you have been doing magic for 6 years the reality is that you probably know all the tricks you need to know, the answer isn't new tricks it is getting the technique so perfect that you don't even have to think about it. From that point you need to focus on how to make those effects connect with the audience. If your goal is to interact with people on the streets then one book that will be worth it's weight in gold is Dale Carnegie's How to win friends and influence people. Absorb the contents of that book, select your favourite effects that you already know and work them to perfection and then apply the lessons you learn from Dale's book and you will not go too far wrong.

Consider these words from Bruce Lee “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3899 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I find the OPs request interesting. It's starkly honest, isn't it? Wouldn't it be cool to not have to work TOO hard and yet perform some KILLER material? Maybe something that isn't too bulky or hard to carry around. Why didn't I think of this before frittering away hundreds of hours on books...and frowning my way through instructions...and bothering my head with all that THINKING?

Maybe Bob is right and this really is what mentalism is turning into. Gee. How sad...still a question is a question.

That's why I'm suggesting you're on the right track with billets. Good job. Throw in a pendulum too. Both pack small and play HUGE. There you go. Knock yourself out. You're welcome.

David

PS: take a second and re-read Tom and Bob's comments here, okay? At least get some foundation on what mentalism is...and how it differs from magic. Bob's Fundamentals 2 is a great start. It's a book...but it's very focussed in all it teaches. Great effects and great teaching.

The difference between magic and mental magic has been discussed here literally dozens of times. Search these threads out.

Try presenting some of the magic tricks you do (Invisibl@ Deck, for example) as mentalism effects instead on magic tricks. Check mentalism effects on line and find one that resonates with you. Work with it. People can't really recommend effects to you because what you choose yo perform in mentalism has to start with what works for you. Hopefully that makes sense.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billets, Business Cards, and Playing Cards (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL