The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
You know what would make a really good television show? Celebrity magician death match. Made out of clay likenesses of the real person. Just like MTV's version. That way, we can settle all disputes in the ring using our magical powers! Or how about I just shut up. Smile
Brian
TOBIAS
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle Magic
221 Posts

Profile of TOBIAS
Why can't we all just get along?
HEY! does anyone know anything about an appearing dancing cane? I have seen the German appearing canes and they are the best for me do to how tall I am. Smile
Be true to your art, and it will be true to you
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I don't think me and Craig were fighting with each other, we were simply just stating each others opinions and that's what make's this board great. I misunderstood and Darmoe explained himself and his reasoning behind his opinion.
Which I appreciate!

Thanks Craig.
P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I think it would still make for good television though... Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-07-27 05:54, Brian wrote:
I think it would still make for good television though... Smile

Problem is, the rating would be incredibly low in that the public recognizes (maybe) five names total when it comes to magic; Copperfield, Burton, the dynamic duo (Sigfred & Roy)... they might identify with the name of Blackstone and David Blain and a few may even remember Mark Wilson and Dante. Outside that about the only other magician the average person would "recall" is Houdini.

Our industry is big, but we have very few publically recognized celebrities.

Now, if you were to take this idea and make a special video/DVD for the industry itself... you might just make some bucks off of it... I know Harry Anderson did great with the first issue of WINNIE Magazine Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
I have a Creekmore, and an 18$ 2-piece cane. If used as a cane, the Creekmore has it hands down. However, once I adjusted the balance and dressed it up a little, the 18$ cane flies real well, packs in my briefcase, and looks great!

It is my opening routine. 1 minute 36 seconds for the whole thing (flying 50 seconds). Anyone who was at Legends of Magic last November(Mt Charleston) on Saturday night, we had a mini dancing cane session with Jeff McBride and he liked my set-up. The cane's action is all about set-up and balance, coupled with a lot of practice/skill.

I take nothing away from the quality of a Creekmore. It works great right out of the box. It's a great cane. I needed something that looked a little more "Merlinish" to fit my persona and I wasn't about to start hacking up my Creekmore. What I am saying is the cane had to be suitable to my act. I am an advocate of the best quality, and teachers. In this case, as usual, the teacher, is again, more valuable than the prop.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Telemus
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
This goes back over 50 years. At that time there was a featured male dancer playing the Empire Room in Chicago. He wandered into National Magic Company which, like the Empire Room, was in the Palmer House hotel. After seeing the dancing cane demonstrated, he bought one and played around with it for a week or so. Then he came back and bought eight more. A week later he had a big hit by performing the cane in front of a chorus line of female dancers also doing a simple cane routine. Two points here. One, if you want to look good doing the cane, a few basic dance lessons couldn't hurt. Secondly, if you have a couple of assistants, you have the basis of a novel staging bit.

Sid Mayer

P.S. Both the Empire Room as a nightclub and the National Magic Company no longer exist and I don't feel all that good myself.
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-08-09 18:12, Sid Mayer wrote:
This goes back over 50 years. At that time there was a featured male dancer playing the Empire Room in Chicago. He wandered into National Magic Company which, like the Empire Room, was in the Palmer House hotel. After seeing the dancing cane demonstrated, he bought one and played around with it for a week or so. Then he came back and bought eight more. A week later he had a big hit by performing the cane in front of a chorus line of female dancers also doing a simple cane routine. Two points here. One, if you want to look good doing the cane, a few basic dance lessons couldn't hurt. Secondly, if you have a couple of assistants, you have the basis of a novel staging bit.

Sid Mayer

P.S. Both the Empire Room as a nightclub and the National Magic Company no longer exist and I don't feel all that good myself.

That's funny... I thought I was the first to put multiple canes in a production number Smile

We did a bit in L.A. years ago to the tune of "La Jazz Hot" from "Victor Victoria" in which 8 boys were doing the cane in the background as I set up an illusion... the audience went nuts!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2002-07-26 16:40, TOBIAS wrote:
Why can't we all just get along?
HEY! does anyone know anything about an appearing dancing cane? I have seen the German appearing canes and they are the best for me do to how tall I am. Smile

I saw an appearing dancing cane on ebay several months ago for about $50 or so as I recall. I'll look again.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jimo
View Profile
New user
Bristol
18 Posts

Profile of Jimo
I guess someone SHOULD mention that while a lot of the greats use the Fantasio vanishing cane they DON'T use it for the DANCING cane....CHEERS!----Jimo
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
That's because my version just came out Jimo! But I don't beleive I need to defend it anymore as enough reptuble magicians are now using it! See it, then you be the judge! Anyway Its doing well and I have had nothing but rave reviews about it so far, And most of the Café menbers seem to be happy for me! Thanks for all the nice comments from those of you that have tried it out, I appreciate it!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Quote:
On 2002-06-19 14:24, DenDowhy wrote:
I understand there is a video of Peter Pit doing the Dancing Cane. Has anybody seen it? Does it really exist? If so, what is the name and where can I get one?

I heard he was supposed to make one but then he died, is that true?

I have not seen a video; but I do know that Peter Pit had contacted me about making duplicates of his dancing cane for him to sell. His untimely death put an end to that - I thought. But some time later a guy named Hugo approached me on the project as he had read my correspondence with Peter Pit. Any way, Hugo brought Peter's cane over for me to examine and take detailed measurements to better give him a price quote. I worked out all the required materials and came up with a price. I guess he wanted it made for nothing! I never heard back from him; but I do still have the measurements/drawings. I state this for historical purposes only. I am not showing the plans, selling them, nor making/selling his version of the dancing cane. So, please do not ask me - I'll just trash any email asking about this. It was and still is Peter's. It is a VERY nice cane design!
Jim
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
Dirk Losander has a good one for sale: http://www.losander.com
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
If you guys havn't seen Precision Magic's Dancing Cane then you are really missing out. Look for my Teaching Video on the Dancing Cane. It's called Dancing Cane 101. It will soon be reviewed in Genii Magazine. Also, I tried to include Mr. Pitt in my Dancing Cane DVD but he can never be in any videos due to licensing problems, but his student Hugo Wei contributed to Dancing Cane 101. If you want to see a Demo of Dancing Cane 101 go to: http://www.store.yahoo.com/magicmusicand......aca.html
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Dmann

Who is doing the demo on the link you posted as that is a lovely performance.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Why thank you very much Paula Jay ! I have to confess it is me David Mann.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
It's wonderful to see so many great moves with the dancing cane. For years, I've used it in my shows.

Dancing in the key here, and some of us are klutzey.

David, I ordered the DVD to add to my collection. The demo sold me hands down.

Rick
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Thanks for the encouraging words Rick and I hope you enjoy the DVD,
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Dmann that is one heck of a performance and some cool moves with the hat in hand. Great job man I am buying the DVD.
cheers
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Dsilverfield,
I don't think that you will be disappointed with the DVD. And again... thanks for the kind words.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL