The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Ralph Adams Hindu Sword Basket (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hello everybody,

I would like to build or have build a Ralph Adams Hindu Sword Basket, but I'm having some "trouble". I own his book with the plans, but they don't really explain how to build it. Specially the way how to hold the basket walls together. I would like to have it sturdy enough to step on the top edge to enter the basket.

The other problem is that the angles aren't explained either...

Could somebody give me some help and hints please ?

If I'm right Chalet build a great version of it, but they're out of business...

If needed please feel free to PM, since it would involve some secrets.

Thank you very much in advance.

Oliver.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do a search in the "Workshop" topic, as this has been discussed extensively on the things you have questions about. As far as 'how to build', no plans tell you how to be a carpenter or cabinet maker. You have to obtain those skills on your own. Their are many adult and shop classes offered in many schools that you can gain knowledge of how to work with materials. The measurements, you have to work out mathematically on your own, or again a good math class will assists you in how to calculate the missing measurements.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thank you very much Bill for your help and hints. I always appreciate them.

I'll have look at the workshop topics and post the message over there aswell. And I'll see my metal art worker, who could help me to calculate this, since I'm not that good in math even though I enjoyed geometrics a lot at school. Smile

Oliver.
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
I have two of them. The original. Then I had a replica made by Thom Rubino!
It is the best sword basket ever.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Why would you ever need to step on the top edge of the basket? I've never seen it done and don't see why it would ever be necessary.

There are a ton of reasons, both in materials, and in the slant and leverage why this wouldn't be recommended or easily done.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I know Michael, but I thought it would be necessary to exit the basket easier downstage : One quick step on the edge of the basket before jumping on the stage floor, since the table-platform isn't large enough on the front side to step on it with the whole foot.

And it will be difficult aswell, since the basket will be in the way to step on the tabletop.

That's the reason why I asked aswell for the reinforcement parts of the basket which will hold the pannels together, since they aren't notified in the book, nor in picture, neither in the text.

I think it will look nicer to exit the basket downstage, then to the side centerstage or even upstage.

Thanks again Michael.

Oliver.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
No reason to exit upstage for a single, The audience might think she's hiding something. (Some of them will) NOW, if you had 5 assistants exit... then they could all exit upstage because they would form a semicircle.

Pick your assistant up and carry her off
Use steps from a side or front (they are removed while the actual routine is in play)
Have her jump (forward not up) using your hand or shoulder as a guide
Make the table shorter
Add a skirt but make sure the legs are further out or she'll tip it over.

The top can be used to steady an assistant as she puts one foot there for effect but standing statically serves no purpose. What goes up must gp down and the higher she stands the higher she must jump down.

Besides, having your assistant standing 3 feet above you makes a tewrriblr photo. Keep it in-frame.

Film your performance and see how it looks before commiting to anything.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thank you for your input Jay !

Actually I forgot to mention, that I'm talking about me jumping out and off the basket. I thought of getting into the basket myself, once my assistant has been penetrated by all four swords and the spear in the middle. After standing in it, I would crouch down and then stand up and exit the basket.

I don't want to have any other person on stage then my assistant and me for the act, distracting from the action and I've never seen a Sword Basket been presented using steps next to it.

Oliver
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I have one built by Chalet. I always put my foot on the upper edge of the basket to give myself a little boost when jumping off. I don't put all my weight on it but just enough to get going. (2:55)

http://youtu.be/q0ZYk9SuNF4
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Scott, I've never enjoyed the sword basket.
Maybe because it always seemed too obvious
for me and naturally I presumed the audience
as well, but your presentation kept me entertained.

The funny business with the money and
cutting off the hand was brilliant. I now
enjoy the sword basket from just one magician.

I used Andrew Mayne's 'Voodoo Box' in
exchange of the sword basket, until I
ran out of boxes.
Smile
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Ralph Adams Hindu Sword Basket (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL