The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Tools that Changed Your Magic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
Hello everybody
So some years ago I worked for a friend of my father's in air conditioning during the summer, I hated that job but that friend helped our family a lot after my father passed away so I stuck through, I didn't want to ditch him in the midst of the summer, his peak time.
Driving around in his car, we spoke a lot, and I remember one time, after I ruined one of his tools, it was a "diamond hole saw", we had to stop our work immediately and drive all the way to the store to get a new one right away. on our way to the store he told me about that saw, he said that this saw has changed the way he worked, and it is one of two of the most significant tools he had, the other was a patent ladder, these two tools changed his work forever.
I thought about that conversation a lot, in regarding to tools that I have that changed my work, and I don't mean just physical tools, also "work" can mean anything from magic, to your ability to handle situations in real life, etc.
So what tools have changed your coin magic?
For me, the first one is a way to easily get a stack of coins into classic palm that David Stone teaches as a bonus in his Basic Coin Magic vol.2 DVD, since I've learnt this little move I do a lot more tricks with more than one coin, as I can now just reach into my pocket and come out with four coins in classic palm.
The second tool is something I read by Michael Rubinstein about not doing a hand-wash sequence after a coin vanish, because it makes it clear that you're using sleight of hand, and not "magic", that idea changed the way I think and look at sleights.
What are yours'?
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Learning how to do moves on the offbeat, having read about this in Leading With Your Head by Gary Kurtz
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Classic Palm.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
In the midst of all the coin magic technique and methodolgy, by far and away the most useful SOH (tool) I use is the plain, old, kinda boring old Finger Palm and its permutations. I never anticipated this would be the case when I started years ago. Kinda weird because its learnable in less than a minute, with no struggles like with muscle passing, edge grips and other stylin SOH.

Knowing its value and when and how to apply however, did take some time.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Tenkai Palm aka Goshman pinch with both hands.

Doing moves with different sized coins.

Connecting with my audiences based on other things going on.

Knowing when to approach a group and when to leave.

Harris
Still too old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
What I can do and use often: CP
What I wish I could master: Tenkai Palm aka Goshman pinch with both hands. (as quoted from Harris). Although the CP is, in my opinion, the most important 'tool' needed in one's magical toolkit, a good backclip is not far down the list.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2014, CarpetShark wrote:
What I can do and use often: CP
What I wish I could master: Tenkai Palm aka Goshman pinch with both hands. (as quoted from Harris). Although the CP is, in my opinion, the most important 'tool' needed in one's magical toolkit, a good backclip is not far down the list.

I do all sorts of things with these two moves…They are giants as to coin magic! Smile I'd say the basic sleights are what have been the most important and helpful to me, learned a lot of what I can do from them. And add in a step beyond using a "Pitch" and you're really humming! Smile

I did a trick I thought of today, about 4-5 times for different people, something made of just a few basic moves that I'd never thought to try before, and it was a big hit…People couldn't believe their eyes, and were checking my hands and arms for "extra skin." Smile

And I believe it is the continuing better/deeper understanding of these basic tools (including myself) that has changed my magic the most, all that and a good growing dose of confidence. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Cp......

Toss vanish to classic. .....
Repeat 4 to 5 times into various directions or
Opened spectator hats.

Repeat in reverse producing and rolling coin and then finding an other coin

By accident
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Videotaping what are you doing has help.me out a lot and looking at the reactions you get from your spectators.Misdirection having them look where you look.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Paul.

Watching and listening, live or taped. Nice. Thanks for the reminder. That's still very important for me.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Thanks. Harris.

I would videotape myself and I would go to fast. I like to end a coin routine with a jumbo coin.The spectators eyes pop out of the heads when the see the jumbo coin.

Paul
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
The realization that the "story told after" is the most important part of an effect -- and can surpass anything you actually did. Creating the conditions under which magic will be the hero in each spectator's mind/memory has been my focus in creating new effects for 50 years.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
In coin magic it's an easy answer for me. I had trouble learning to CP a single coin. I was in a guitar shop one day and saw some stuff called 'Gorilla Snot' and found out that it is a temporary adhesive that some rock guitarists put on their fingers so that they won't lose their guitar picks as easily. I bought some and put a dab on my palm mans that made the CP finally work for me. Yes, I had to eventually stop using the Gorilla Snot, but I had no problems with the CP after that.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Realizing what my learning curve with coin sleights looks like.

It stops me from getting discouraged too early.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I think the most important tools were realizations.

a. The realization that what I see in the mirror is not always what the audience sees. Not remembers, actually experiences.

b. The realization that an audience of strangers can have very different concerns from an audience of friends and family.

c. The realization that the audience is actually listening to what I say, if I'm saying something interesting. And with that, I can control what they think is important.

d. The realization that the audience tends to learn from trick to trick. I might think that I'm showing them separate tricks, but for them, it's all one experience.

e. The realization that people who say they know how it's done are only guessing, even when they're right.

f. The realization that people who ask "How'd you do that?" Don't really want to know how it's done.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
Very interesting Curtis!
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, Curtis Kam wrote:
I think the most important tools were realizations.

a. The realization that what I see in the mirror is not always what the audience sees. Not remembers, actually experiences.

Hi Curtis

What do you mean by this?

Thanks
Chris
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I would think something like Someone saying something like this " Wow I say you put a half in my hand, I saw it IN MY HAND, And then closed my hand. And when I opened My hand It was a Chinese Coin!!! " That's not what happen! But it's what they Remember !!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Chris, the easiest example is the Goshman toss retention pass. When I do it, people see a coin fall into my receiving hand. But there's no coin there. I look in the mirror, and I sometimes see it, sometimes I don't. But it is there for the audience. Not that they remember seeing it, they actually do see it. They create the illusion in their minds.

Now, we have to be careful not to go too far with this. Misused, the idea is an excuse for sloppy handling, and worse. (It's so easy to say, 'sure, the magicians all see my move, but laymen all miss it!')However, it's also a shortcoming not to realize that when you do things right, the audience believes things are as you claim they are.

That caveat aside, the toss retention tells us that the audience sees a coin where there isn't one. So consider the Bobo switch. They aren't expecting a different coin. The coin they see fall is the coin you showed them. So the goal in the Bobo switch is not to toss the coin so fast that they can't see that it's been switched; the trick is to toss the coin slowly enough so that they can "see" that there's no switch.

On both of those, you know you've got it working when kids start looking for alternative methods. I have dropped a coin into my hand, and caused it to disappear. The children watching did not even consider looking in the other hand. They're smarter than that, they saw where the coin went. They immediately looked up my sleeve, and then wanted to check my pockets.

Once you appreciate the level of conviction that's possible, then you start to understand what the audience is thinking. That's the first step towards seeing things the way the audience sees them, which is different from what you see in the mirror.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Curtis, this is perhaps your most insightful post ever. I will quote it in my writings if you would allow.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Tools that Changed Your Magic (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL