We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My new favorite singer (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Had the pleasure of performing at Erika Larson's and Bob Self's "Beyond Brookledge" at The Mission Inn in Riverside California just before my engagement at the Magic Castle last week.

That's where I met and marveled at fellow performer Janet Klein, who, with her "Parlour Boys" brought down the house at a late night party.

She's rather unique in that she specializes in music from the 1910s, 20s and 30s. But she doesn't just sing it, she embodies it:

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Janet and her husband, Robert Loveless, stopped by the Castle later in the week and caught my show:

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Great! I love it. Thanks Bob.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

You're welcome. It was great watching an entire audience (half of whom were performers themselves) swaying back and forth and dancing to her music. When she asked me how I liked her set I told her I was mad at her. She asked why. I replied, "Because you're married!"

Staying perfectly in character, she coquettishly rolled her eyes upward and responded with an "Ooooh!"
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I can see why you love her! She radiates happiness when she sings.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
What a wonderful 'throwback' to an earlier musical genre. I really enjoyed it! I believe my parents would have gotten up and started dancing. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

When she sings with her band, trust me, people of ALL ages get up and dance. She's very popular in jazz clubs as well as festivals, etc.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1225 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
How fun!!! That was great Bob, Thank you!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Here's some more- Janet and her Parlour Boys at the Cicada Club in Los Angeles.

george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Great music and her personality just shines through. One of my favourite singers is Elaine Bouttie, but very difficult to find any footage of her.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
Thank you for sharing this Mr. Cassidy. I absoultely adore music like this and I will definately check out more of her music. Watching those two videos, it was almost like time traveling.

It must've been amazing to hear this live!

I'm going to go listen to the Ink Spots now and then listen to some more of Janet.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Kinda like Tiny Tim only with, y'know, talent!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My new favorite singer (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL