The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Longboards (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
One of my stepsons wants a longboard. I don't believe in saving money by buying low-quality crap.

Do any of you have any advice?

OK, I know that most of us who post regularly here are a bit over the forty-year-old mark. But hey, a lot of you live in California! Don't you have to know about these things to live in California?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I can answer the last question, but not the first: I was born & bred in California, and I've never surfed. :o
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Actually, I sometimes forget that I myself was born in California.

Also, just in case it wasn't clear: by "longboard" I mean a longboard with wheels, not waves. The surfing isn't particularly good here in Germany.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
LOL....oh, THAT!

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I can answer the first question.

Spend a lot of money and don't buy crap.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I want one of these. Saw a few of them when I was back at school last year- have been considering a skateboard for decades now, but I see longboards are the way to travel and I'm not terribly interested in skateboard tricks. For what it's worth since it's been nearly a couple years since this thread was started, any recommendations? A cool wild animal art deck might be a requirement... Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5783 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Lived here (California) my whole life. Longboards... Not sure where you put the demarcation between low quality crap and what is acceptable to you, Stone. I do know this is a class company started by and run mostly by one family in Huntington Beach. Their trucks are proprietary and supposedly give a smoother ride.

http://hamboards.com

Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Interesting that this old thread popped up.

Both of my stepsons have boards now. I bought one for myself, but only used it once: I nearly killed myself! I bought a German-made board from Mike Jucker. Nice board. But I thought I could ride a longboard like a skateboard. The board I bought, however, has exposed wheels, and while kicking for speed I occasionally (four times!) kicked the wheel instead of the ground and popped the board out from under me. Once I nearly sent the board into my wife, who was following by bike.

I suppose that I should put some time into getting the hang of riding while not kicking the wheel. Maybe this summer.

Tom: those Hamboards look tight! And I would be willing to pay for the boards. But not shipping.

(It's another topic for another thread, but those of us who live outside the States seldom buy stuff from the States anymore. I wonder if anyone has calculated how much the economy was affected by eliminating surface mail?)
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5783 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It's only a matter of time until they start pushing into the euro market.

Funny, I didn't check the dates in my rush to share what I knew.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Got really interested, and checked into actually buying a Hamboard (they don't have exposed wheels) for the family. But: they don't ship outside the USA, and their European distributor wants nearly a thousand dollars for a board that costs 449$ in the US.

To be specific: €820 for the "classic".

I wanna move to California.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
S2000 and I want you to move to California, too!!

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I don't authorize Lobo to testify on my behalf, but this time he's right.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
What are the specs on the board you do have, Jeff? Aside from the exposed wheels, duly noted. Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Specs? Copied from the website:

Length: 1067 mm / 42 inch
Width: 229 mm / 9 inch
Material: 5 layers of cold pressed, Canadian maple and 2 layers of bamboo (outer layers)
Innerhole wheelbase: 705 mm
Kicktail
Truckmount: Topmount, Newschool
Cleargrip

The exposed wheels wouldn't necessarily cause a problem for those who have never skateboarded. I'm 52 years old. It's hard to re-learn things. Someone who has never ridden a board might not have a problem at all.

What I'm thinking right now (as I type) is: the bigger the better. A "longboard" isn't a skateboard.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thank you. Cool. I was looking around last night and learned alot. Topmount, pintail, exposed wheels are recommended re. wider, larger... kicktail for curbs... and I found a Landyachtz board I like that's 41 inches but I don't think it's got a kicktail- not necessarily a big deal since it does have some nice art Smile. Fiberglass. Still looking...

I agree if it's called a longboard I want it to be long, so I want 40+ inches, which I think I also saw recommended. Wide's wise, too. But I think something like those 6' + hamboards would be pushing it around here unless I want to start my own bus service. Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Landyachtz was an alternative that I missed. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a Landyachtz Bigfoot. I wanted a cruiser to use going to work. The exposed wheel problem ended up being very disappointing--not just a "danger" issue. I wanted to use the board for transportation, not just for fun.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Hey for sure, Jeff. I think you'll be able to work around those wheels eventually, though.
I want the board for transportation, too. I think a lot of people are keen on them for that reason. I'm sure it will be fun transportation, though. Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Sunday was a beautiful day in Hamburg, so my wife and I went out to the garage and got out all three boards to play around with them. We only rode around the communal driveway to the garages (in Germany, most garages are grouped together, kind of like storage areas in the States).

She played around with my Jucker, while I tried out the boys' boards. Both of those boards come from Mindless, and both are on the small side--28 and 31 inches. One is a drop-down, the other is a normal cruiser with a kicktail.

We only rode around for 30 minutes, but the long and short of it remains: longer is better. The boards roll easier and faster, and feel more stable--less jittery and less "trick" oriented. I think 40 inches is about right.

I'm 6'2" and 180, so that might also make a difference.

The one negative of length is this: if you are going downhill, unless you learn to carve--skiing style--you gain too much speed, and it's harder to simply jump off or kick off to the side than a skateboard. This is obvious, of course, but I hadn't really thought about it: bigger, longer, heavier = more momentum. This isn't a problem either in Hamburg or Goettingen. But San Francisco might limit longboard riders to the young and nimble and courageous. I myself and neither young nor nimble nor courageous, so I'd go for a smaller board if I lived somewhere with lots of hills.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
The other day we were in Tenerife and almost got washed away off a rock by a huge wave as we stood watching the surfers there. The sand was black where we were there but it is a nice place for young folk in particular and not expensive. I have never had go it myself but it looks cool.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Longboards (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL