The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Bannon's DvDs Smoke and Mirrors and Impossibila Good Purchase ? or Hold Off ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I'm considering picking up John Bannons 2 DvD's over at MagicProShop but I've never encountered any of Bannon's material. From what I hear it's good, but some people exaggerate. On the other hand, Osterlinds DvDs deserve every bit of compliments with 4 great DvDs. So to those of you familiar with Bannon's stuff, are these 2 DvDs worth it ?

Thanks !

Matt
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
John's Impossibilia book is fantastic and these DVD's are awesome. John is kind of a corny performer, but a brillaint performer/inventor. There's something for everyone on these.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Smoke and Mirrors is arguably a better book than Impossibilia. If the I DVD has the same material as the I VHS video, then it has material from both books, it provides a better presentation for Return of the Magnificent Seven than the one in the book, and is quite good. I've never seen the S & M DVD, but it seems a good risk actuarially.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Bannon's stuff is terrific.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
From my little knowledge about Bannon, his materials are so good! Get both of them and you will enjoy learning and performing them!

Alex
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Both of the tapes are very good. The otherone, that has also close-up material is slightly better. the other tape has just card tricks. The only problem with these tapes are the spectators. There is just two spectator and they are magicians wifes who are totally bored seeing tricks and they don´t have any reactions to any tricks, really... The tricks are very very strong in real world situations.
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
I liked the S&M DVD better than Impossibilia. Tattoo You and New Jack City seem worth the price on their own.

Bannon is a good developer of tricks, but his performing style is... laid back, to be generous. I'm a David Regal kind of guy who appreciates energy and enthusiasm in the patter.

If you're still considering whether to buy, I would suggest buying one and seeing if you like it first.

-Dave
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Let's just say that Lee Asher's favorite video is "Impossibilia". 'Nuff said. Smile
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Go for'em.
Ricky B
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
172 Posts

Profile of Ricky B
I have both tapes and both books. I am thinking about buying the DVDs and selling the tapes.

--Rick
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of shahin
Good solid card magic,"Timely Departure" and "Play it straight" are my favorite Bannon effects!

Shahin
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hello!

Yep, me too! Got both VHS, and would buy the DVD's in a heartbeat...classic stuff done his way, plus Tattoo You...man...that's reason alone to carry a d/b, if ya know whudda mean... Smile

Vacuum Packed...great one...New Jack City...well, just get 'em, and you can be sure you won't waste your money!

Doug
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Impossibilia has my favorite Triumph routine.
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
I agree that Bannon comes up with great material. Most (if not all of his stuff) is very strong, practical material for the real world. I own both VHS tapes and both of his books (when is he ever going to come out with another?). Personally, I like the element of variety that is found in Impossibilia (both the tape and book), but Smoke and Mirrors is also good. If you prefer more focus on card material then try Smoke and Mirrors (31 effects, of which 27 are cards).
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Now if they could only reprint smoke and mirrors!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bannon's DVD's contain KILLER material. Don't hesitate to get them.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
The best thing that I can say about Impossibilia is that it was the first video I ever saw where I finished watching the material and thought to myself- "I want to perform every trick that I just saw".

To be fair, I was somewhat dissapointed with Smoke and Mirrors. I loved the book, and the video was mostly solid, but I couldn't help feeling a little let down considering that Mr. Bannon had recently railed against the overabundance of sandwich routines in the into to the book, but then proceeded to include TWO sandwich routines on the video. There is still some killer material on the set, but I feel like Impossibilia is the true 'must-have'.
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Killer stuff !
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have seen Johns videos and they are full with quality card magic.
Johns web:
http://www.johnbannonmagic.com/

I hope he will release a new DVD with effects from his new book:
Dear Mr. Fantasy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Bannon's DvDs Smoke and Mirrors and Impossibila Good Purchase ? or Hold Off ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL