The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » First success with hypnosis (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9561 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, MatthewSims wrote:
I pull out a swam* and say...

It was this I was referring to.

I'd say it is the "mighty lack of observation" you suffer from.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1569 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
On the contrary, it is your "observation skills" that are awry. I wasn't even answering your post, rather,it was my reply to TonyB - hence me quoting him with my reply.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My post was not aimed at anyone specifically. Just the general !@#$%iness that is a feature of these pages, where everyone knows everything and puts down the newbies. The Café is supposed to be about magicians helping magicians, but this section seems to be about hypnotists sneering at hypnotists.

Hypnosis is more and more popular, but this section sees very little activity. Read the typical replies to posts and you will know why.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, MatthewSims wrote:
I pull out a swam* and say...

It was this I was referring to.

I'd say it is the "mighty lack of observation" you suffer from.

What lack of observation am I suffering from?
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
And the fighting starts, good job Seamagu keep going soon it will be second nature.
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
I'm not trying to "fight", more of a fencing, if you will. Just intellectual conversation in which our thoughts my be brought to light a little better is all I'm looking for.

I would like to see where my observation has failed me, as Mindpro says.

Kindly
Matthew
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9561 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Take your pick - believing sticking someone hand to anything is hypnosis, or using a swam*.

There is a difference between actual performance hypnosis and claiming something is hypnosis when its not but rather a magic or mentalsim trick. I go back to my original sentiments - there are no outs in hypnosis, outs are in magic.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
There is a difference between actual performance hypnosis and claiming something is hypnosis when its not but rather a magic or mentalsim trick. I go back to my original sentiments - there are no outs in hypnosis, outs are in magic.

If you are doing a stage show - as you and I prefer to do - then there are no outs. But if you are doing impromptu hypnosis to learn the ropes, it is easy to create routines that can go into hypnosis if that is working, and that can go a different direction if the hypnosis is not working.

I learned hypnosis by taking the plunge and doing stage shows, but the modern way seems to be to start with street hypnosis and one on one stuff. And that leads to inevitable failures. So it is no harm to build in a safety net. Once you begin doing stage shows, the safety net has to disappear.

I remember one of my first stage shows, in a small pub. The room was bad, the sound system was bad, and I was not expected, so I knew it would be a very tough night. So I prepared an hour of solid mentalism as a fall back. As I was leaving the house, I looked at the mentalism show, and knew that if I brought it, I would use it. So I left it at home.

The show was tougher than I imagined. But I got a panel hypnotised, and I gave the crowd a good laugh. That would not have happened with a safety net. Still, I see no harm in a safety net for beginners doing one on one stuff.

The very first time I did one on one hypnosis I had an invisible deck in my pocket. When I failed to get as far as I wanted, I told the subject that this was all part of a process of tuning our minds into each other, and I moved into the invisible deck routine. After the experience I sat down and figured out what went wrong, and I have not needed an out since. It is just part of the learning process, like stabilizers on a bicycle.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
So far I have not used an out, I've been keeping my mentalism and my hypnosis experiments very seperate. if it does not work I just discuss the experience and the participant agrees that they were very relaxed and that it was a pleasant experience. I tell them that that is the main thing and maybe next time they will experience an even deeper level of relaxation
I love post its Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:

If you are doing a stage show - as you and I prefer to do - then there are no outs. But if you are doing impromptu hypnosis to learn the ropes, it is easy to create routines that can go into hypnosis if that is working, and that can go a different direction if the hypnosis is not working.

I learned hypnosis by taking the plunge and doing stage shows, but the modern way seems to be to start with street hypnosis and one on one stuff. And that leads to inevitable failures. So it is no harm to build in a safety net. Once you begin doing stage shows, the safety net has to disappear.

I remember one of my first stage shows, in a small pub. The room was bad, the sound system was bad, and I was not expected, so I knew it would be a very tough night. So I prepared an hour of solid mentalism as a fall back. As I was leaving the house, I looked at the mentalism show, and knew that if I brought it, I would use it. So I left it at home.

The show was tougher than I imagined. But I got a panel hypnotised, and I gave the crowd a good laugh. That would not have happened with a safety net. Still, I see no harm in a safety net for beginners doing one on one stuff.

The very first time I did one on one hypnosis I had an invisible deck in my pocket. When I failed to get as far as I wanted, I told the subject that this was all part of a process of tuning our minds into each other, and I moved into the invisible deck routine. After the experience I sat down and figured out what went wrong, and I have not needed an out since. It is just part of the learning process, like stabilizers on a bicycle.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
My very first success at hypnosis was rather strange.
I tried an induction on someone in a pub. Went through all the classic induction speel... count back from 5 to 1... open your eyes.. won't think you've been hypnotised.. but if I say the word SLEEP you will close you eyes and return to this deep level of sleep.

I counted back and she woke up and giggled... it had not worked (again)
For a laugh I said SLEEP, clicked my fingers and no response from her... but her friend suddenly fell deeply asleep.
I somehow hypnotised the wrong person without even realising. I thought the other person was just having a laugh, but no it was a real deep hypnotic trance.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Quote:
Take your pick - believing sticking someone hand to anything is hypnosis, or using a swam*.

I'm not saying swam* work is hypnosis. I don't perform with a swam* and present it as hypnosis. Of course there is a difference there. I'm saying such tools can be used as an out for when first beginning the learning curve. It keeps you from standing there with you know what in your hand.

As for saying "there are no outs in hypnosis, only in magic" is a subjective statement. That's along the same lines as "mentalism shouldn't be mixed with magic". I just don't understand for the life of me where these "rules" come from. Is there some man behind a desk with a feathered fountain pen writing these? The beauty of hypnosis is that it has an ability to, at any time...take flight into a new direction.

Unlike singing and music, where there must be organization and structured rhythm to follow along with it, hypnosis is much like a bird. It hops from branch to branch. It can fly off, change directions, come back again. Enrique would call this the "language of the birds".

I now go back to eating my ice cream with a fork.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Good post, Matthew.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I used to practice inducing arm catalepsy while doing palm readings. The sitter never knew I was even doing it. I used to practice conversational hypnosis that way too.

But it wasn't stage hypnosis I get what Mindpro is saying. I also get what Mathew is saying.

In my opinion "outs" are ok for practicing certain things. But for using hypnosis as a full on performing medium outs are no good. Unless your a magician but that's another subject.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
MP, I am with you. On a stage you should have no outs. In different settings, different rules apply though.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I understand the "annoyance" of some hypnotists though when magicians try and turn hypnosis into a cheap trick. Or tell the public they have been hypnotized to forget a card when in fact all it was was a double lift etc. I doubt most of the public buy into these types of routines as being hypnosis anyway.

These types of "outs" should really be in another forum.

Personally these days I couldn't care less I am taking hypnosis in a completely different direction its unlikely I will be doing any stage work.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Well, as you're usually one of the first to tell people they shouldn't be posting here if they don't do stage hypnosis, I guess you won't be around here for much longer.

Quote:
On Jul 12, 2014, mindpunisher wrote:
Personally these days I couldn't care less I am taking hypnosis in a completely different direction its unlikely I will be doing any stage work.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In reality you haven't been doing much stage work at all have you?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
That's right Reg Im hardly around here at all these days as it is. And yes Danny I do very little stage work these days. It is very unlikely I will do stage work again I don't need to. Ive moved on to something a lot more interesting....and a lot more lucrative at least for me. Still using hypnosis though. Although those years doing stage were a good grounding I wouldn't change them

Still its nice to drop in and see the lovely people in here on the very odd occasion..

Still as charming as ever..

Not many people about to sell courses to on here these days eh Reg? Still I guess its worth hanging around to make the odd piece of pocket money... everything adds up I suppose.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
MP, some of us appreciate your acerbic wit, and miss you when you are not here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » First success with hypnosis (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL