The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pen/pencil for tommy pad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
248 Posts

Profile of greerj
Has anyone found a big difference in using pens or pencils for tommy pads? Some pens seem to work better than others, as do some pencils. Other than try a large number of each, any advice?

Thanks.

John
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I use a short pencil.... people tend to press harder with a short pencil. Make sure the point is dulled down a little with just by running it back and forth on a piece of paper until the point is rounded a little. This will produce a bolder text as they write or draw. All of this is mentioned in the DVD I believe. As the pad is used these "shorties" will tend to leave a better image where anything with a sharper tip will not. Ink pens are not good for 2 reasons; because people tend to have a lighter touch with a pen and the tips vary in diameter. People tend to have a lighter touch with a full length, sharp pencil as well because it is more fragile and likely to break the lead I suppose due to the increased leverage.
Something like a golf pencil with no eraser or one you might find at a lottery ticket stand for filling in the little circles on the tickets is what I use. The lack of an eraser makes it look more natural than one you would just sharpen down and with an eraser on it... plus it's easier to carry in your pocket. I hope this helps....
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I agree with the above but some cheap pens, where the ink flow is not necessarily good, can make the spectator press harder or rewrite certain letters.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2130 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Carrying the short pencil in the coil of the pad also enhances its acceptability as a natural item.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
248 Posts

Profile of greerj
Thanks for the replies. I use a notepad with an orange cover. Have any of you used pads with colored covers as opposed to clear ones? I couldn't find a clear cover, but found a brand of color covered notepads that seem to work pretty well.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Yes. Coloured covers are just as effective, perhaps even being a bit easier to read.

I very much like Doug's idea about keeping the pencil in the coil. A great and natural touch.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1524 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
I agree with NeilS and find a cheap biro works pretty well with this pad.

That said, even a light touch will produce an impression, in my experience.

Are we possibly edging into Inner Secrets territory with this?

T.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pen/pencil for tommy pad (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL