The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Invisible deck in stack order anyone? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just a little advertisement for The Invisible Card in Try the Impossible. Not quite the same effect as the Invisible Deck, but it will be remembered as the same by the spec. No gaffs, just a memdeck, and pretty darn easy.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1504 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2014, nlokers wrote:
Has anyone tried making the pairs either add up to 53 or be 26 apart? I switched over to the 53 one because I thought that there were some noticeable patterns with the Aronson stack in the even/odd pairing.


Nobody will notice.

ETA: Or perhaps I should say, No lay person will notice.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2014, landmark wrote:
Just a little advertisement for The Invisible Card in Try the Impossible. Not quite the same effect as the Invisible Deck, but it will be remembered as the same by the spec. No gaffs, just a memdeck, and pretty darn easy.



Awesome effect--and indeed one of Aronson's simplest memdeck bafflers. And stack-independent too, for those of us who memorized Mnemonica.

Les
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I'm with landmark and lcwright1964 on this one.

Simon's "The Invisible Card" effect is stunning and seems inexplicable and as having no reasonable explanation. The effect is quite easy to perform, and, the effect is "stack independent". What more could you ask for in a mem deck effect? Definitely in my top 5 mem deck effects.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2014, Turk wrote:
I'm with landmark and lcwright1964 on this one.

Simon's "The Invisible Card" effect is stunning and seems inexplicable and as having no reasonable explanation. The effect is quite easy to perform, and, the effect is "stack independent". What more could you ask for in a mem deck effect? Definitely in my top 5 mem deck effects.


I have concluded that given a choice of performing the Close effect or Aronson's Invisible Card, the latter is a definite win for me. The outcome from a spectator's vantage point is the same in both cases. Moreover, the single move in Invisible Card is so simple and completely invisible that I even manage to fool myself, and the deck can be spread out and shown front to back as completely ordinary at the outset. The deck looks normal and shuffled to muggles, and even magicians might not suspect anything unless they are fellow memdeck fetishists and see arrangements they know. This preliminary prover of course cannot be done with Close's effect. Close's trick is a little knackier, with the core move requiring more boldness and cover, and one needs to be careful not to flash the selection before reveal time. Aronson's trick is more forgiving in my hands and allows for much easier handling and as such is baffling.

I know in this forum there is a lot of debate about whether memorizing a stack is worth the trouble. Part of me wants to keep it cloistered among select aficionados and not make it widespread. But still it is tricks like these that make it worth the while, and I think all cardicians should consider it. Even if I never did Aronson's mathematically complicated routines or Tamariz's knuckle busters, the Invisible Card effect alone has made the (modest) efforts to learn a stack cold more than worth it. The Open Index is an awesome thing, and it it is something that civilians and even a few magicians never think of.

Les
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2014, Turk wrote:
I'm with landmark and lcwright1964 on this one.

Simon's "The Invisible Card" effect is stunning and seems inexplicable and as having no reasonable explanation. The effect is quite easy to perform, and, the effect is "stack independent". What more could you ask for in a mem deck effect? Definitely in my top 5 mem deck effects.

Mike


OOPS! My bad for mentioning that the effect required a mem deck. My apologies. I was confusing Simon's "The Invisible Card" effect (using the "Head over Heels" move) with another effect that did require a mem deck. When I got out "Sessions with Simon", volume 2, and re-watched "Head over Heels", it became clear that the effect does not use a mem deck and, in fact, you can use an ordinary borrowed (incomplete) deck shuffled by the spectator. It really doesn't get much better than that!

Again, my apologies.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2507 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
It's nice that Mike Ince got the ball rolling on Close's ID routine. I believe Close's material is based on Ackerman's Impromptu Ultra-Mental handling.

This is something I've been using with a modified handling for a while now. A month ago someone asked me to show them a quick look at this handling so I obliged. The angles aren't ideal and I recorded it in one go, as such it is NOT representative of how good it can look. On the upside, this is showing the worst case scenario.

Quick points:

  • Unlike Close's handling the cards are always face down
  • The ability to get two (or more) cards together in the dead center of the deck is something that I don't remember having seen before though I doubt I'm the first to do it


The demo is here: http://vimeo.com/94212590
Password is Doofus99
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Password is Doofus99"

Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much.
Anything by Steve is going to be good Smile .
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2014, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2014, Turk wrote:
I'm with landmark and lcwright1964 on this one.

Simon's "The Invisible Card" effect is stunning and seems inexplicable and as having no reasonable explanation. The effect is quite easy to perform, and, the effect is "stack independent". What more could you ask for in a mem deck effect? Definitely in my top 5 mem deck effects.

Mike


OOPS! My bad for mentioning that the effect required a mem deck. My apologies. I was confusing Simon's "The Invisible Card" effect (using the "Head over Heels" move) with another effect that did require a mem deck. When I got out "Sessions with Simon", volume 2, and re-watched "Head over Heels", it became clear that the effect does not use a mem deck and, in fact, you can use an ordinary borrowed (incomplete) deck shuffled by the spectator. It really doesn't get much better than that!

Again, my apologies.

Mike



No apologies needed.

In Try the Impossible there are TWO handlings for the Invisible Card effect.

One requires that the card only be named. The method of reversing the named card is bulletproof but requires a memdeck. This is the trick call The Invisible Card in the Eccen-Tricks section of the book.

In the Head over Heels chapter, Aronson gives a short paragraph to a FASDIU version, but here the selection is touched and shown, not named, and the reverse and reveal are achieved by the move. In the memdeck version memorization is needed since the face is never seen, till the end, so the performer must have a way to find the card. In the Head over Heels version, the spec locates the card by actually choosing it.

Both great effects, but I prefer the memdeck version, since the move required there really takes little skill (provided that one memorizes one's stack and can count) and is baffling. The Head over Heals move is a little knacky and takes some practice. Mine is still pretty rough.

Les
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2014, Steven Keyl wrote:
It's nice that Mike Ince got the ball rolling on Close's ID routine. I believe Close's material is based on Ackerman's Impromptu Ultra-Mental handling.

This is something I've been using with a modified handling for a while now. A month ago someone asked me to show them a quick look at this handling so I obliged. The angles aren't ideal and I recorded it in one go, as such it is NOT representative of how good it can look. On the upside, this is showing the worst case scenario.

Quick points:

  • Unlike Close's handling the cards are always face down
  • The ability to get two (or more) cards together in the dead center of the deck is something that I don't remember having seen before though I doubt I'm the first to do it


The demo is here: http://vimeo.com/94212590
Password is Doofus99



That is AWESOME. Protest the angles if you must, but I had to watch the video a few times before I could figure out what was happening, and even still I am not sure if I have it right. I commend your ability to count and "patter" at the same time.

Les
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
What the--no clue here. Fantastic Steve.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
That was awesome, thanks for sharing it. I literally loled when you winked.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2507 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Thanks, gents! Much appreciated. And Les, you're right. Counting while looking like you're not counting is the toughest bit.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2014, Steven Keyl wrote:
Thanks, gents! Much appreciated. And Les, you're right. Counting while looking like you're not counting is the toughest bit.


And thank you for the PM to discuss specifics. I love your version!

Les
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Invisible deck in stack order anyone? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL