The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » College education worth it? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
One doesn't HAVE to go to college to make friends. Or at least, one doesn't have to pay tuition. Smile

Or join a fraternity or soriety. Nobody should ever have to pay to have friends.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2014, MobilityBundle wrote:
I wonder whether that's just what one does as an 18-22 year old in (almost) any setting.

That's about right, I think.

Yet...I was exposed to ideas at college: books, art, music, culture, history. Those things shaped me, and I am grateful for them.

What I would wish for my own children is something like a mix. Finish high school, go off to some foreign country and explore. Afterward, learn a trade--learn something someone does with their hands. Plumbing, carpentry, tinkering with engines, whatever. (And I'd love my step-daughter to do this, too. Too few women learn how to use hammers and wrenches; yet they complain that men are sexists. But that's another story.) Then, around 21 to 24 or 25, try out college. If they don't like it, they don't like it. If they do, they do. But they will be more experienced, more mature, more skeptical, and more appreciative of what's being offered than those who are only a few years younger than they are.

That would be my advice if they ask. How much do you want to bet that they won't even ask?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Yet...I was exposed to ideas at college: books, art, music, culture, history. Those things shaped me, and I am grateful for them.

Yes, that's really important. Ideas are important, and teachers even more so I think. The first college I attended (an Ivy League) had plenty of ideas; when I transferred to a public university though, I met the teacher who changed my life. Now we meet teachers all along in life--but it's nice to find a place where there are a whole lot of them, one of whom just might be the one.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2014, MobilityBundle wrote:
I wonder whether that's just what one does as an 18-22 year old in (almost) any setting.

That's about right, I think.

What I would wish for my own children is something like a mix. Finish high school, go off to some foreign country and explore. Afterward, learn a trade--learn something someone does with their hands. Plumbing, carpentry, tinkering with engines, whatever. (And I'd love my step-daughter to do this, too. Too few women learn how to use hammers and wrenches; yet they complain that men are sexists. But that's another story.) Then, around 21 to 24 or 25, try out college. If they don't like it, they don't like it. If they do, they do. But they will be more experienced, more mature, more skeptical, and more appreciative of what's being offered than those who are only a few years younger than they are.

That would be my advice if they ask. How much do you want to bet that they won't even ask?

Send her to Alberta. If she learns a trade and is willing to work, she can out-earn many MDs. Oil is a blessing and a curse. But the blessing is that anyone who is willing and able to work can be very successful.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I agree 100% with everything stoneunhinged said including his last statement!
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
My memory is not that good.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is only really worth it if you are invited to join the Skull and Bones club.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » College education worth it? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL