The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lybrary or self release (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1109 Posts

Profile of Chris
A few bits of information to add. Mike has outlined the Lybrary offering very well. But there are a couple of additional points to consider:

1) Lybrary.com has been in business since 2000, that means more than 14 years. And we have focused on magic ebooks from the very beginning. Most other retailers who offer magic ebooks do this as an add on. It is not their primary focus. That means the level of expertise and service you get from Lybrary.com is beyond what others can offer. There is nobody as experienced in this business than Lybrary.com is.

2) Lybrary.com has the only transparent and independently verifiable sales reporting and royalty accounting. You get real time data, monthly and yearly PDF reports, and with one click of a button you can move your royalties to your Paypal account whenever you like and as often as you like. Important here is VERIFIABLE. I have a system that allows you to independently check that my royalty accounting is accurate. With all other retailers you have to trust what they are telling you, but you have no way to actually check if their accounting is accurate.

3) I provide a personal service. I am available online pretty much any time. I post here on the Café and other forums, I reply to my emails and PMs, I listen to customers and authors, and do improve and implement features that are being suggested. I have a stellar track record and reputation. I do what I say and I am not hiding. I have never stiffed an author or not payed their royalties, which as you can imagine is not the norm in magic. In the contrary, you can ask around and you will find that I have personally helped many authors, be it financially, or with advice, connections and other important information that made a huge difference to them. I love magic and my goal is to support magic authors and provide the best content and fair prices to customers. My track record speaks for itself.

4) Lybrary.com is the only magic business with a GoogleRank of 5. If you know a bit about SEO you will understand that this is a huge advantage when it comes to organic search traffic. This means that we can attract a lot more traffic to Lybrary.com which directly benefits all authors we represent. Some authors who sell through different retailers have told me things like: "Chris, you sell 10x what all other retailers sell combined." Or: "Lybrary.com produces by far the largest amount of sales for me." Of course, this will differ from case to case, but from what I can see this is true in many cases. Yes, we do not offer the highest royalty rates. You can get higher rates somewhere else. But given the service, sales and experience we provide it will be for most the best option. What good are higher rates if the retailer cannot produce sales, or if he cheats on the royalties he is reporting?

One note on creating your personal website and selling through it. If you like and enjoy all the technical and marketing work that goes into doing this successfully then I say go for it. But I have seen time and time again, even with top names that everybody knows here, that it fails in most cases. The reasons are many. But generally speaking it comes down to overhead. For me Lybrary.com is a daily 10-12 hour effort. I update and improve the website. I work on SEO and marketing. I keep up with the latest developments. I forge business alliances that help drive traffic or benefit the Lybrary name in other ways. I keep bringing customers back to the site regularly. All of these activities benefit my authors. They will sell more without having to do anything. I can afford to do these things because of size. I can spend a couple of thousand dollars on print ads if I think it will help me. Or place a few strategic banners online, or run a Google Ad Word Campaign. All of these things an individual operator cannot, because it would mean he would run a loss rather than a profit. So it depends on what your goals are. If it is a hobby and you enjoy the work, like to interact with your customers and don't mind working through technicalities, stemming off hackers, credit card scammers, and disgruntled customers, then do it on your own. When you change your mind email me.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18576 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've retired a few things recently, and have always just used lulu's online shop - having just released something this weekend (a new CT of sorts, with routines) I have never really felt comfortable releasing ecopies of things, and I like the process of creating a booklet from scratch...i know I am missing out on revenue, but that's not the prime driver behind sharing anything (for me)...maybe I should change my view, I dunno - I am soon to be working with steven's magic emporium, who have kindly offered to release some of my work...i'm excited about that...

and though I have put out ecopies of stuff, I've never felt fully comfortable with it...i think I just like books, and its nice to have something tangible I suppose...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lybrary or self release (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL