The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Sponge Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I like sponge balls, but they don't seem too organic to me. Is there a way I can perform it to where it makes sense to have sponge balls in my pocket? I have spent a while thinking about this, but I can't come up with much. Has anyone else thought of this?
thanks,
Zach
Reality is a real killjoy.
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
I don't really put to much emphasis on things that are "organic". I hear and see that word being thrown around a lot now and days, but what does "organic" actually mean?

There are many other ways to produce sponge balls.

Al Goshman, Steve Darci, and many others produce them from a purse frame that has no actual purse, just a frame.

In a Mark Leveridge sponge routine I once saw, he introduced a little red mat, calling it a "dust bunny collecter" and using the dust to form the first sponge ball, then magically spliting another one from that one.

Hope this helps!

David
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Organic means that it looks as though it not a prop. Production is not the problem it is justifying my having sponge balls.
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
I don't think it's possible then, to do a sponge ball routine and make the audience believe for a second that the balls are organic. Sponge Balls are an oddity, definately not something you see in everyday life.

Nevertheless, it's still a favorite for laymen, and it's a fantastic piece of magic.

Now, Jay Sankey has a take on Sponge Balls that he marketed called Earplugs, that has a more orgainc feel to it.

David
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Thanks! This is what I was looking for. Should have known Sankey had the answer! Smile
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
No problem Zach! Smile

But a word of warning from personal experiences with this one. When you practice it, and get it performance ready; if you have any desire to do a routine with them where you cause one to vanish from your hand into the spectators hand, just think twice about producing them from your ear.

I've learned this fact the hard way and I just wanted to tell you this, in hopes of preventing a potentailly embrassing situation for you.

David
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Thanks. May I ask why?
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
Again, this is strictly from personal experience, but when I produced the Earplugs from my ears, it got a great reaction! I did a ten count, great stuff!

Then...I asked them to hold out there hand, they did. I reached for an Earplug to place in their hand and the very quickly drew their hand back and exclaimed, "WHY THE **** WOULD I WANT TO HOLD THAT!!! THAT WAS JUST IN YOUR ******* EAR!!!

Yeah...so a lesson learned, you know? I haven't done the Earplugs in awhile, but from that moment forward I was careful about how I routined this effect.

This might not happen to you, but you never know. I just thought I'd share this with you because it was really embrassing.

David
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Pull one from their ear and it won't be a problem...and make sure you pull it from Behind their ear.

But as for your original comment: nobody cares whether they are organic, natural, or anything else. They're magic. Only you care. Just do them.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Zach,

I'm with you. I have been doing magic for many years and I've always had the same problem with sponge balls. While people do just enjoy the magic, when you create a purpose for the magic, it just flows better, even if the purpose is just humor.

I have worked out a few ways around this.

1. If you perform for adults, you can make humorous references around a routine with two balls and have them change colors from yellow to red.

2. If you perform for kids or families, then you can have fun pretending one of the kids has balls in their ears. They become organic because they are not your balls, but coming from a kids ears. You can start by asking a kid if they like playing with balls.

3. I am still working on another approach. I've always wanted to do a routine with sponge balls where the audience doesn't ever know they are sponge balls. I'm thinking the routine would start and end with a small rubber solid ball and use sponge balls in between. I could use some suggestions on this one.

KJ
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Most effects we perform are less than "organic"...
Now, if you want to keep it real and use everyday items you could find anywhere, just roll up toilet paper, paper towels or bar napkins into balls and proceed as planned. Have one or two preloaded if you want to be ahead of the game...otherwise don't over-analyze a situation that nobody else knows exists Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
There are some situations (and audiences) where you don't want anyone touching the sponge balls. Even plucking them out of your ear as ear plugs doesn't keep them from grabbing for the balls. My solution is boogers. The first sponge ball is expelled from my nose and is called a giant booger (yellow works best). From then on, I do magic with my boogers and have yet had anyone desire to examine them. Afterwards, I use some "hand sanitizer" to get accepted back into polite society. The sanitizer is real, but I just pretend to be squirting it on my hands and rubbing it in for the placebo effect it has on the audience after my work with boogers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Sponge Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL