The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close-up or stage (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karsten9400
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of karsten9400
Hey

I have a job to a private party with 40 - 50 adult spectators, what kind of magic will you recommend stage or close-up?
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
PArlor and Close up would be my recomendation. What kind of effects are you doing? Mental, card. coin, silk, production, rope or what? That would help if we knew what your planning. And, are you being featured as the entertainment or is it just a mixer type party that you were asked to do some stuff?
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
To be able to help we need to know a lot more about you. How long have you been performing, what kind of magic do you normally do etc. Also where will this show be held, is there a stage available, what is the age group and so on.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I've done both for crowds of that size (as well as much bigger and much smaller). Go with what you're good at and what the client requires.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I agree with all post above. But I am going to add a little on how I would think about. First up I would speak to the client and gauge from them what they want. You might need to educate the client a bit to get the best answer. I would also want to know if there all going to turn up at once like a coach party or arrive in small groups individually. There is a chance you go and the group would of been there already for a lecture or a convention. Also what kind of time frame do you have.

if there turning up all at once I would do a show. I would basically do it like a street show but that just me. I would also carry a few close up set as well.

If there turning up in small groups I would go for 3 sets of 3 close ups.

If I was going in to them as paart of a lecture or training thing I would a palour show.

Pretty much every gig I do I carry my 3 sets of 3 which I store in a small doctors bag. and the set iam using in my pockets. I also caryy in my bag my street show which becomes a palour. lso what I use in my close up also lends it self to palour settings as well.

I would think about timing to do this as a close up would break it down to 10 groups of 5 people. you will spend 5-8 min per group so that about a hour your need.

Just some thought on how I would think about it but you need to speak to you client about it. Or just put something your comfortable doing and offer it to them.

Hope this helps good luck
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Welcome to the Café.

What tricks do you.already have and I would do things that your comfortable with.
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
103 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
Close up might be more forgiving if you are new to the business. If you are confident in your ability to nail the performance every time and the host is in need of it, stage work it is.
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
103 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
Obviously sawing a woman in half may prove tricky for table hopping. As others have stated, it all depends on your personal style.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2014, Ben Seatreader wrote:
Close up might be more forgiving if you are new to the business. If you are confident in your ability to nail the performance every time and the host is in need of it, stage work it is.

I've never found that to be the case at all. Close-up is easier to get into because it doesn't require expensive props, theatre space, and a cast of two-dozen people. But you still need to be confident in your ability to nail the performance every time. We owe our audiences the best show we can give them, whether we're up close or on a stage. And though I'm not sure that's what you intend, it sounds like you're saying stage is preferable. Sometimes it is, to be sure, but not in every case. I have several shows that I do, both on stage and close-up, and you'd be surprised the number of times a client who I would think wants a stage show because of the size of the audience actually wants me to do close-up work instead, because they find it more impressive. That gives me a challenge to rise to, in order to make sure everyone gets to see my magic, but I'm a believer in giving the audience what they want, as long as I'm able to do so while still giving them the best show I possibly can.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close-up or stage (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL