The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Hydrostatic Glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22443 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2015, JonathanB wrote:
Digging this old thread up, but has anyone tried making the gimmick with an empty laminated pouch? Just a thought...

Have no idea what a laminated pouch is. Don't know why a pouch would be used. Is the pouch clear so you can see the water while upside down?

Try it and let us know your results.
JonathanB
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
64 Posts

Profile of JonathanB
I mean a plastic wallet that you normally put paper in and put through a laminating machine which heats and sets it. Sometimes called encapsulating. Used by teachers a lot! You can put a pouch through the machine with no paper in it and it comes out clear and reasonably rigid.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22443 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
I mean a plastic wallet that you normally put paper in and put through a laminating machine which heats and sets it. Sometimes called encapsulating. Used by teachers a lot! You can put a pouch through the machine with no paper in it and it comes out clear and reasonably rigid.

Interesting idea, although, I think it would have to be 4 layers to be rigid enough. Although, thinking about it, that might work for the Tommy Wonder gimmick. He uses two sheets of thin plastic, the problem I am having is locating a glue that will hold the plastic sheets together. With the laminated sheet, something could be used to attach the sheets together, and not worry about the glue spot not holding.
JonathanB
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
64 Posts

Profile of JonathanB
Well, I did an initial test of double-layering the laminating pouches and I think it will work. However my laminator isn't that great so the sheet isn't quite as flat as it needs to be, you can get some thicker pouches which may work better, or once an inner circle is glued on it may be better. For the moment it holds on on my polycarbonate picnic type tumbler for just a few seconds.

Another option I'm looking at is getting some acrylic/plexiglass later cut to the right size, would folk recommend 2mm thick acrylic, or is that too thick?

What is the Tommy Wonder gimmick? Smile
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
114 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
The Tommy wonder Gimmick is in the first volume of the books of Wonder titled the improved hydrostatic glass. It uses a different thinner plastic material that creates a better seal.
cowboy5
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of cowboy5
You can spend a lot of time trying this and trying that. Making trips to the store. Just buy Pop Haydn's version and you will be satisfied.
magicjluc
View Profile
New user
australia
37 Posts

Profile of magicjluc
Now there is the Hydrostatic wine glass par Alan Wong et Jeimin Lee (Tenyo). Does anyone have it?

www.zatanna.fr
Zatanna Queen of Illusion, 2007,2008 & 2009 WA's Magician of the year, 2011 Fringe Festival magic slam winner
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22443 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
Digging this old thread up, but has anyone tried making the gimmick with an empty laminated pouch? Just a thought...

What is an empty laminated Pouch?
Most-likely will be to flexible and not seal correctly.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
I have made a couple of Hydro glasses but has anybody tried an aerostatic glass?....Much easier to make..I have made a few out of nice glass tumblers and wine glasses from thrift shops for under a dollar, total cost for glass and materials about $3.00. Works on the same principle as hydro glass but no extra gimmick required and no drilling required..To release takes a tap on the glass....if anyone wants details on how to make one you can PM me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Hydrostatic Glass (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL