The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Astronomical Compendium (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Until the late XVIIIth century (and even later), medecine was mainly Bloodletting, Purgation and Enema. Those treatments were applied under strict astrological calculation, the signs were associated with different parts of the body.

Quote:
Selecting a time for bleeding usually depended on the nature of the disease and the patient’s ability to withstand the process. Galen’s scheme, in contrast to the Hippocratic doctrine, recommended no specific days. Hippocrates worked out an elaborate schedule, based on the onset and type of disease, to which the physician was instructed to adhere regardless of the patient’s condition.
“Medicina astrologica” exerted a great influence on bloodletting. Determining the best time to bleed reached a high degree of perfection in the late fourteenth and fifteenth centuries with the use of volvella or calculating devices adopted from astronomy and navigation. These were carried on a belt worn around the waist for easy consultation. Used in conjunction with a table and a vein-man drawing, the volvella contained movable circular calculators for determining the accuracy, time, amount, and site to bleed for an illness. The dangers of bloodletting elicited both civic and national concern and control. Statutes were enacted that required every physician to consult these tables before opening a vein to minimize the chance of bleeding improperly and unnecessarily. Consultation of the volvella and vein-man was more important than an examination of the patient.

One of the small treasures (among many) of the Surnatéum is this late XVIIIth Century Astronomical Compendium for calculating phases of the Moon.

The Surgeon – Barber – Dentist did the Bloodletting with this kind of tools.

And Medals giving the Eclipses, Full and New Moons of years 1798 and 1804.

george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
You certainly know how to make us drool ;-)
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Louis Cypher
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of Louis Cypher
Beautiful finds Mr. Curator. You are the Daddy of the curious cornucopia that is bizarre.

Best regards
Louis
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2014, Louis Cypher wrote:
Beautiful finds Mr. Curator. You are the Daddy of the curious cornucopia that is bizarre.

Best regards
Louis

Most of the objects were already in the Collection, but I didn't know, with enough precision, what was their purpose. Until a few days ago,...

Also, I was rearranging the Surnateum this afternoon, and decide to re-work one of the Cabinet of Medals.

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The Astronomical Compendium is incredible looking.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
George is right, I'm wiping my chin as I type. Need windscreen wipers on this screen.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
All these wonderful items are displayed in the Vampire Collection at the Surnateum.
Themes are: Vampyre Hysteria in the XVIIIth century, Medical Astrology during the XVIth-XIXth century era, Plague and the Vampire, Proto-Vampires in Greece and Egypt and cursed archaeology, Vampire litterature in the XIXth century, Apotropaic weapons, Bizarre cases of vampirism, the Dhampire...

"Booking a Dhampire" is the main vampiric show at the Surnateum.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I have a chin cup....
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
...and I forgot to mention the new 'Dracula Section' displaying a rare 1902 American edition of Dracula , an original letter by Bram Stoker written on Lyceum Theatre letter(signed by Irving), original portraits portrait of Irving and Stoker, and a second new section dedicated to Dr Seward (an XIXth Century X-Mentalism).
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Outstanding collection!

As an aside, it is thought by those who have studied George Washington's life and death, he may have be "bled to death" in an attempt to save his life. Nothing malicious, just the misinformation of the era.

Another aside. We are being bled by the government, following the Father of Our Country?

Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The catch of the day was really needed at the Surnateum: a XIXth Century English Mahogany Commode with Ceramic Potty and a huge Enema...
Very useful in a Museum. Smile Smile

Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Ah-the reading system of the Huntsman. The invention of the commode made it easier, of course.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
My other catch was a very nice bronze sculpture of the Pied Piper of Hamelin.
I need now to find a rat-charming flute.

The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
My other catch was a very nice bronze sculpture of the Pied Piper of Hamelin.
I need now to find a rat-charming flute.

Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, The Curator wrote:
The catch of the day was really needed at the Surnateum: a XIXth Century English Mahogany Commode with Ceramic Potty and a huge Enema...
Very useful in a Museum. Smile Smile

The Spooky Forum, has gone to the Crapper lately... Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Gaunt
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Gaunt
Fantastic collection!!! The Pied Piper sculpture is very, very cool. Please tell us about the devious looking art displayed behind the sculpture.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
It's an illustration by Arthur Rackham from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream: Fairies fighting Bats.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Arthur Rackham always a favorite of mine.
Love his Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens illustrations.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Today's catch?
A wonderful Taino Bat Zemi (XIV/XVth Century), another Bat Spirit for the Collection.

Quote:
The souls of the dead live in the otherworld. They are ruled by the Zemi Maquetaurie Guayaba, Lord of the Land of the Dead. The Zemis of the underworld are often made in the form of night flying creatures, such as bats or owls. (The second Zemi, found at the Cinnamon Bay site, bears the image of a bat.) These creatures are regarded as the messengers of the Dead.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
And another clyster found today, for the XVIII / XIXth Century medical set (with the Astronomical Compendium).

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Astronomical Compendium (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL