The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Pickpocket Passport Wallet by Alan Wong and Gregory Wilson (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
The wallet is nicely made by Alan Wong and Greg Wilson's routine allows you to focus on presentation, not mechanics. The audience will give you major credit as a "master pick-pocket" for very little work! Keep true to Greg's advise by not watering it down to the level of a simple "magic trick". Audiences will find you more interesting once they glimpse a touch of larceny in you!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Does anyone here know what comes with the wallet?

I would imagine that you'll need two "passports" to get the job done. I don't even own one. So does it come with two fake passports for my $75?
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Shades of Tommy Wonder!
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I received mine today...To answer your question, the package does include two "fake" USA Passports. The product is exactly as you'd expect it to be (a good thing). There were no disappointing surprises in the package Smile
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Thanks, Jared.

I almost posted a stupid reply to your statement because I misread it. I'm glad that I read it again before posting this!

I have 4 legitimate driver's licenses (one current and 3 expired) just for this kind of thing, so I think that I like this.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2014, Jared wrote:
I received mine today...To answer your question, the package does include two "fake" USA Passports. The product is exactly as you'd expect it to be (a good thing). There were no disappointing surprises in the package Smile

So if you are not from the US you need to have your own passports which is not possible in the UK as you have to return the old to get a new one Smile
DavidMac
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
81 Posts

Profile of DavidMac
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2014, rowland wrote:
So if you are not from the US you need to have your own passports which is not possible in the UK as you have to return the old to get a new one Smile

I've just, in the last 2 months, renewed my UK passport and they sent the old one back with the corner cut off the back of it.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Rowland, maybe you can claim dual citizenship LOL. All kidding aside, this detail should be taken into consideration for the European release.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2014, DavidMac wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2014, rowland wrote:

I've just, in the last 2 months, renewed my UK passport and they sent the old one back with the corner cut off the back of it.

But would you really want to use your real passport for something like this and you would have to cut the corner off. I think the answer as someone has said would be a European release. That would be awsome.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
What's the quality of the wallet like?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
The quality isn't bad. It's a functional H..ber but with the addition of credit card slots, a cash pocket, and large enough to accept a Passport. IMO this wallet is perfectly fine to perform Greg's routine...it's a "one and done" wallet so to speak. To summarize, buy this if you wish to perform the pickpocket routine. For a regular h..ber, stay with a JOL or similar brand.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Received this today and...

The credit card slots have a depth that all go to the bottom of the wallet and so the bottom one is fine to put a card in, the next one the card sinks almost to where you can't see it anymore and the top one the card will sink so low you'll never see it again. Why couldn't they make them all the same depth so you don't have to worry about slipping the cards too low into the slots? I like to take out the cards and show them as I'm talking so they know it's not just half cards that could slip down into the pockets to hide themselves, which might be an explanation for laymen as to how you "stole" them. There are ways of fixing this issue, but it should have been manufactured properly.

The passport is completely useless as it says "United Fakes of America"... Enough said.

I don't own a passport and so I assume that the fake passport is the same size as a real one, which is a problem because the fake passport is almost as long as the space allowed for it to hide when it's "stolen" and so you can actually see it from top and bottom when it's not supposed to be there.

The handling is a little weird and discrepant when you place the wallet in their pocket and I fear that you would get caught by the guy on stage looking right at the wallet from above?!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2014, Jared wrote:
The quality isn't bad. It's a functional H..ber but with the addition of credit card slots, a cash pocket, and large enough to accept a Passport. IMO this wallet is perfectly fine to perform Greg's routine...it's a "one and done" wallet so to speak. To summarize, buy this if you wish to perform the pickpocket routine. For a regular h..ber, stay with a JOL or similar brand.

Thanks Jared
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2014, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Received this today and...

The credit card slots have a depth that all go to the bottom of the wallet and so the bottom one is fine to put a card in, the next one the card sinks almost to where you can't see it anymore and the top one the card will sink so low you'll never see it again. Why couldn't they make them all the same depth so you don't have to worry about slipping the cards too low into the slots? I like to take out the cards and show them as I'm talking so they know it's not just half cards that could slip down into the pockets to hide themselves, which might be an explanation for laymen as to how you "stole" them. There are ways of fixing this issue, but it should have been manufactured properly.

The passport is completely useless as it says "United Fakes of America"... Enough said.

I don't own a passport and so I assume that the fake passport is the same size as a real one, which is a problem because the fake passport is almost as long as the space allowed for it to hide when it's "stolen" and so you can actually see it from top and bottom when it's not supposed to be there.

The handling is a little weird and discrepant when you place the wallet in their pocket and I fear that you would get caught by the guy on stage looking right at the wallet from above?!
those are some interesting points. Anyone else have the same issues?
– Karl Germain
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Patrick Gregorie noted in a post above:
"The passport is completely useless as it says "United Fakes of America"... Enough said."

I'm sure there must be a LEGAL reason why you cannot replicate USA Passports but honestly it's such a simple matter of partially obscuring the word "fake" with your finger during the casual display of the contents. This is truly a non-issue. As for the credit card slots, take one of your business cards, trim it to size and wedge it into the compartment. Be creative- everything can't be perfect!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Every day this week I came close to hitting the purchase button, but now I'm glad I didn't.

Patrick's review changed my mind.

For my $75 I want better than that. Actually, if it would have cost $10 I would have wanted better than that.

While there may be legal issues with the passport, I'm sure that they could have been worked out better than using the word "Fakes". As long as the cover looks genuine, the inside could be totally bogus looking, and I'm sure that would do the trick. I noticed that the demo video clearly reads "United States", although I believe that it is a genuine passport. Why not show the demo video with the props that you get instead of using a prop that you don't get?

Google "Buy fake US passport", and see how many things come up. I believe that these things are meant to be used for purposes that are not good, and I do not know what kind of trouble you could get into by buying one, but this seems to show that one could be made to use for magic without problems. Print "For magical use only- this is fake" in large type on every interior page and I think you're good to go.

There are legal issues with doing things with coins and bills, but I don't think any magician or manufacturer has been arrested for that yet.

Those that aren't bothered by it, buy it. Those who are, don't buy it. I won't be buying it. And you don't know how badly I want to get it!

Uh, oh- gotta run- the Secret Service is breaking down my door to examine my coins and bills! Snowden was right! They're coming up the stairs right n
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm not sure what the legal issues are with making a more real looking passport cover, but I don't think you can compare a passport to coins, since one is used for identity.

Here's a site that makes passport props:
http://www.magnoliprops.com/passports-ids-c-98_99.html
They're a lot more expensive than the real ones.

Here's a PDF you can buy to print a cover:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/130788149/d......odKiUAmg
Pretty cheap.

Issues with the wallet aside, I would rather use a real passport, that way you can show it and it's real.

Regal's Passport came with a faked passport as well, can't remember what it said, but it didn't look real either.

Unfortunately, this is sometimes where some effects breakdown, is in the quality of the props.
– Karl Germain
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I have two old passports so it's not an issue for me but if I had to use the one's supplied I wouldn't care. I just mirror practiced the display as described and the blocking action looks perfectly natural.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Agreed about the identity issue, motown, but, as you pointed out, you can still buy a PDF that does not say United Fakes for only $3.95. And the US government definitely takes money issues seriously. I'm sure that they take passport issues seriously also, although these days I'm not so sure. It seems like we're all citizens of the world now.

And I understand what you're saying, Jared, but it's still not for me simply because of the problem with the cover. I wouldn't care what was happening on the inside, but the outside bothers me. I expect more, especially since motown provided a realistic cover link for only $3.95. I'll bet they paid a graphic artist a bit more than that to come up with United Fakes.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Yeah - the passports it comes with are absolutely BS.
You'll need to either "lose" your passport and get a second one, since if you cancel it they clip it. Still a 68 quid expense ...Or use a clipped one, if they are the same identical covers ... probably not or borrow some old clipped ones (best option).

shame to pay the cost plus international fedex and get some BS props. I guess they are just about good enough for rehearsal with but yeah, demo video should have highlighted that and stated comes with cards and two BS passports.
Still the effect is good and lots of possibilites with this idea.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Pickpocket Passport Wallet by Alan Wong and Gregory Wilson (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL