The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penny Dreadful (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Anyone watching this on Showtime?

A really interesting concept pulling together many of the horror characters from 19 century fiction including Frankenstein, Dorian Grey, Vampires and possibly the Wearwolf. It weaves a tail that includes many of the principle characters from these stories using really good actors. I find the concept really interesting and the acting great but I haven't been pulled into the story as much as with other series.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Haven't seen it yet, but will check it out. I was following Fargo and I'm getting caught up on Orange is the New Black. Also saw the premiere of Tyrant last night and looking forward to The Bridge. Tried Black Box, but it didn't really hold me. Liked Resurrection. The best of the bunch for me, though (in the post Breaking Bad era), is definitely Fargo.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
But Fargo is over and I'm pretty sure it won't be back! (But you're right, it was great.)

I didn't watch Tyrant as the previews didn't catch my interest at all. What did you think?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'd be very (unpleasantly) surprised if Fargo didn't come back. For me, the jury is still out on Tyrant. Definitely trying to be The Godfather (in a different setting), as I suspected from the previews. Not sure how well it will succeed, but I liked the first episode.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
It may come back. Although if it does, it will be missing most of the characters that made the show so great this season if not all of them.

True Detective on HBO with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughy is another show which may be a single season show but if it does come back will also more than likely be missing the characters that made it so compelling.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Anyone watching this on Showtime?

A really interesting concept pulling together many of the horror characters from 19 century fiction ...

Up to episode seven - it's pretty good as a soap opera with special effects. Kinda like Dark Shadows in some ways.

If you like that kind of story you might like Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
[quote]On Jun 25, 2014, rockwall wrote:
It may come back. Although if it does, it will be missing most of the characters that made the show so great this season if not all of them.[/I]

Definitely not all of them...Allison Tolman as Molly Solverson is awesome, and imo gives at least the equal of the performance that won Frances McDormand an Oscar on the big screen. With her as Chief of Police, comparable writing, and a continued commitment to bringing in top stars like Thornton and Platt, I think it can carry on along its great initial trajectory.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm not arguing against it. I'd love to see them try.

Jonathan, ugh! Dark Shadows?!? You'll scare everyone off from even giving it a try!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
LXG comics were pretty cool.

Once you get past the idea of all the characters in the same place at the same time it is cool.

Ensemble pieces with epic characters is tough writing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The comics were cool, the movie was dreadful.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I liked the movie, but I didn't compare it to the graphic novels.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:

A really interesting concept pulling together many of the horror characters from 19 century fiction including Frankenstein, Dorian Grey, Vampires and possibly the Wearwolf.

When do Abbott & Costello show up? Smile
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
When I first read the thread title I assumed it was to bash
the Penny Forum because mentalism and I aren't close friends
and at times is indeed dreadful.

I took the time to click on this thread to commence the bashing.
Shock and to my dismay it's just about some silly shows.

I feel woefully out of touch, for I've not heard of most
of the shows mentioned.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Anyone know if AMC's "TURN" is coming back? Sure hope so. I love that show.
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
420 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
I only watched the amazing séance scene .... so good I ordered the first saison and I am looking toward to watch it over Christmas Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
I'm not arguing against it. I'd love to see them try.

Jonathan, ugh! Dark Shadows?!? You'll scare everyone off from even giving it a try!

I think he's talking about the series, which was pretty decent for the day as opposed to the film which was a parody of the series and didn't really work.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, rockwall wrote:
The comics were cool, the movie was dreadful.

I actually liked most of the movie. The only thing from the comic to the film that I did miss was the idea that Professor Challenger had become an addict after he became too old to adventure anymore. It was a great arc for him to have to get over that and I felt it's absence in the film.

Specifically what made the movie "dreadful?"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Prof. Challenger...? Do you perhaps mean Alan Quartermain?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
420 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Sir Murray is an explorer and hunter and could be Arthur Conan Doyle's Professor Challenger or Allan Quatermain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6755 Posts

Profile of magicfish
What's Showtime?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penny Dreadful (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL