The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First experience with Tarot. WOW! (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Well. I have been a mentalist for a while....a long time and I never dabbled in Tarot. I viewed tarot readers as psychics. People who use the craft of mentalism/cold reading to say they know the future. Just pay fifty bucks and they will tell you what the future will hold. Again, I am a mentalist but I'm also a Baptist Pastor. Lol seriously

So the other weekend, I was hired to do a show in Sedona Arizona (beautiful place)....Also it seemed like the capital of new age stuff and tarot readings. I was hired for a corporate event and they paid for my wife to join me also.. IT was a great show with some great people and my wife and I got a great little vacation. While we were there I wanted to experience my first tarot reading. Obviously I was skeptical and just wanted to see if they were good at cold reading and see if I could learn some.

I must say I was nervous, I expected the person to tell me my future. I expected it to be cheesy, I expected it to be a big hoax.

Instead.....what I experienced was life changing. It was amazing.

When I set down with the reader and I told him what I do...Mentalist/pastor I expected him to be nervous. I expected a cringe in his face like I found him out, or that I knew the tricks of the trade or that I knew he was a fraud. Instead, it didn't bother him at all, almost didn't seem to care.

He began with an astrological tick sheet that was great....he then asked if I would mined him using the cards. I told him I didn't.

Then he used the cards,,,,,,,,(again I know nothing of tarot) and he made two rows after I shuffled them. He would turn one card over at a time....tell me its meaning and ask how it fit with me. I would rack my brain to think.....at first I didn't want to give him any information, I thought he should know it or tell me. Then something changed....i realized that was not the point.....he truly wanted to know what that card meant to me. I began to open up as he turned over more cards and he began to tell a story about my life. Ways I might need to change and over come addiction. We talked about my father and mother, about my childhood and then what my goals in life were.

Being a pastor, I know a little about counseling . I also have been to therapist.....and that's what this tarot reader was to me.....one of the best therapist I have ever been to. It was funny, he never claimed to be psychic...he said he hates that word. he just used the cards to help me open up, to help me understand myself better.

I walked away in aww. I expected a psychic reading. I expected a hoax....I didn't know I would experience one of the best counseling session in my life.

My friends, is that Tarot? If so, then it was beautiful.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It certainly can be!

it can be more, less or something else entirely..

glad you had a rewarding experience..
I've asked to be banned
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
This is a great story. A little curious about one thing: do you know which deck was used? I'm assuming Rider-Waite-Smith
Ulrich
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Ulrich
This is such a wonderful post! I strongly believe, that the thing we call as Tarot is real, wonderful and natural. It is really warming to see how your perception has changed, I believe there is a real magic that many people sadly refused to feel.

Jung once said, that he is afraid of modern science, that came into our world with materialism expansion, which refuses anything that cannot be examined by our five senses. There are milion of things our senses cannot feel! Jung was an exceptional man and I believe he was right.

Thank you
Ulrich
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
That was an example of Tarot when the Reader removes his own Ego from the experience.

When the Reader's Ego is foremost, you get CR, guessing, attempts at strong hits and 'WoW, How Did You Know That?' kind of stuff. Much weaker, and of little value to the querant. The tricks and stunts are for people who use Tarot as a magic trick, who can't actually read the Tarot.

I've always felt that a good indicator of the effectiveness of a Tarot reader can be determined by observing either the absence of Ego....or its pompous presence.

Congrats on a good eye-opening read.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
What a great story, I have been reading the Tarot for 30 years and in all that time I have never claimed to be psychic or have any special powers. I explain that all I do is tell them what the cards mean to me. The purpose of the reading is to try and help the sitter with any problems they might have by helping them to see all the possibilities open to them.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
I'm glad y'all enjoyed the story.
billy Arce-the reader did say it was a Rider deck....thats all I know.

After my reading...my wife enjoy it so much that she had one. She also had the same experience I me.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I remember visiting an esoteric bookshop in london, and the phone rang - the owner answered, and was obviously listening to someone trying to find out about having a reading and asking if the reading could tell if her partner was cheating on her...

the owner was patient and kind, and after a while of listening and offering sympathy to the caller's plight just said "look, a real tarot reading won't be able to give you what you are after, speak to your boyfriend and be open and honest about how you are feeling - tarot doesn't work in the way you want it to, and if things continue - then speak to your doctor and explore your options for referral to a mental health professional...thanks for calling and I really hope things improve for you...but no, you don't need a tarot reading..."

i'm obviously paraphrasing, but it was lovely to hear someone being so upfront and honest...
I've asked to be banned
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
I enjoy this post a lot, it is simple yet inspiring for me.

To quote Enrique Enriquez: "Our aspiration should be to be useful for those who come to us, to let our querent leave us feeling empowered."
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1847 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, piyuyu wrote:
I enjoy this post a lot, it is simple yet inspiring for me.

To quote Enrique Enriquez: "Our aspiration should be to be useful for those who come to us, to let our querent leave us feeling empowered."

Wonderful Smile
AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Beautiful!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3432 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Yeap, that's how it should be. Great story and obviously an excellent skilled reader. Thanks for sharing. In many ways it's quite inspirational to hear experience's like yours in these forums. I wonder what system, if any he used. Perhaps he just had a firm understanding of human nature mixed with years of experience. To me, there was nothing mystical about what he did, just pure skill in using a tool to bring out what ever it was that gave you a great and meaningful experience. Inspirational stuff.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Great story. Your experience was exhilarating to hear. I'm happy it worked out for you.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I'm a Skepitc and a mentalist and a Tarot reader. I've had many a good discussion here on The Café. Many people think that I contradict myself because I do Tarot and yet I am sceptical about the existence of psychics. Well, hopefully the OP will help explain this and bring clarification on how the two can sit comfortably together.

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
966 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Read Enrique Enriquez and his approach to the Tarot
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2586 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
This.
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
I must have done thousands upon thousands of tarot readings since 1987. I believe 100% in it's power. There is no trickery used at all and this is the best way to approach it. The Tarot is REAL and works for logical scientific reasons. As for so called "cold reading" that is a very silly concept and should never be used in a reading. It borders on fraudulent practice and I cannot possibly approve.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Oh no. Not again.
I've asked to be banned
Ulrich
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Ulrich
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2014, jeremymar wrote:
I must have done thousands upon thousands of tarot readings since 1987. I believe 100% in it's power. There is no trickery used at all and this is the best way to approach it. The Tarot is REAL and works for logical scientific reasons. As for so called "cold reading" that is a very silly concept and should never be used in a reading. It borders on fraudulent practice and I cannot possibly approve.

Can you share with us these logical scientific reasons please?

If you are not using any reading system, does that mean you have powers?

Thanks
Ulrich
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
Of course I have powers. But then so does everybody. And no. I can't share it. Alas it would take too long and I am very old.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First experience with Tarot. WOW! (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL