The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First experience with Tarot. WOW! (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3432 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Interesting article
http://www.tarotwisdomreadings.com/FAQ/t......ion.html

personally speaking people shouldn't have a problem with the tarot, its certainly not occult or even mystical in my opinion...

Great article Ian, thanks for posting it
The Forgotten One
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of The Forgotten One
Can pastor read Tarot cards?
We can look this question from couple perspectives.

They are just playing cards (pieces of cardboard with pictures on them!) and if you use them as a tool to give some advice, what really is the problem? They are just cards with some explanations. Nothing satanic, or magical. Tarot cards are more psychological thing than anything else IMHO. From this perspective, I don't see any problems.

In the other hand, what Tarot cards really can give you? What you can do with Tarot cards what you cannot do without them? Do you really have to use them or can you achieve your goal without them? Or can you use something else instead of Tarot cards? (something what are maybe more acceptable in your community.)
Think what you can gain with the cards and what you can loose. If there is too big bet, don't gamble!

Other issues are that many people link Tarot cards with the new age and occult things. It might be hard to get people accepting them.
Top of that, they are device for card games/gambling... and many Christians don't accept any kind of cards at all. (Of course, do you really care what others are thinking about?)

Tarot cards can really work for pastor... It depend from many things. City where I'm living, you could easily be using Tarot cards in first Christian community and still be judged heavily in another one!
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Y'all have given some great advice.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, BlakeAdams wrote: I appreciate everyones comments.
Because of this experiences, I have been reading a lot of information about reading tarot. I began my journey with Kennton Knepper and the Complete Guide to the Tarot by Gray Eden. Im really enjoying it. What other material would y'all suggest?

Also, with the way the tarot was presented to me,i have no problem being a Christian doing tarot.....lol I'm actually a pastor. Am I missing something, should a pastor (lol baptist) not dabble in tarot? This might not be the place to talk about this, but I love yalls opinions.

I hope this does not stir up a hornets nest.

You claim to be a “Baptist” pastor.
You have a total stranger read some randomly selected cards.
You tell the stranger all about your life, from childhood.
The stranger, based on randomly selected cards, advises you about how you need to change to overcome addiction.
Based on what a stranger said about some cards, you had a “Life changing” experience.
You now claim that the stranger was “one of the best therapist” you’ve been to.
What’s wrong with this picture, Pastor?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Michael.....

Perhaps I'm not the type of Baptist pastor you think I should be. Im sorry I don't fit into your mold. He used the tarot as a tool to communicate to me. It was good advice that he gave. Good advice is good advice. sorry if my post upset u.
jaheath
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of jaheath
Thanks for sharing this story. When I use the cards for myself, I have found that I have use a deck that I can relate to. The imagery of the classic Rider deck never spoke to me, but once I found some decks that had art that appealed to me, the cards opened up to me. I have always viewed them as a kind of Rorschach test. The imagery on the card becomes an abstraction of a problem I am internalizing. At least, that is how I use them. I never "read" for others, though I have shared with friends my techniques for using the cards in this manner.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, BlakeAdams wrote:
Michael.....

Perhaps I'm not the type of Baptist pastor you think I should be. Im sorry I don't fit into your mold. He used the tarot as a tool to communicate to me. It was good advice that he gave. Good advice is good advice. sorry if my post upset u.

My mold isn't the one you need to fit.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Why the aggression?
I've asked to be banned
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Why the aggression?

Indeed. As the Black Eyed Peas once said, and I quote, "Where is the Love?"
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Sorry to side-track things just a little but I have a question...

I have never understood the word 'system' when referring to Tarot. Perhaps someone can explain.

When I started learning to read Tarot cards. I read a few general books about the meanings of the cards and different spreads. As I grew, I became more intuitive. I began to rely more on the pictures and my instinct rather then the textbook meanings. It takes courage to go with your gut sometimes. I don't use general statements or 'Barnum' type statements but I do cold read. That is, I observe the person and, rightly or wrongly make a few mental guesses about them. I note things like their age and gender, how they are dressed, how they speak, how they say what they say, do they have a wedding ring etc. I only offer advice when it's asked and it's always with caution. I usually let the sitter come to their own conclusions.

That's how I do Tarot. How does this differ from a 'system' ??

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
A system would be any set of guidelines or rules that you apply when consulting the cards...

when I personally say "a system" - that's what I mean, so after you absorb them, they become second nature, and you might well not even recognise you are using a system at all - but you are...its become part of your reading instincts (made-up term) and combined with whatever else you personally believe is in play when giving a reading...

anything that you apply systematically and consistently when doing "whatever it is"...

i tend to not pay too much attention to how well someone is dressed, nor how they speak - as I know some very intelligent people, who happen to speak kinda roughly, don't dress all that well but are infinitely more smarter than some well dressed and well spoken people that I also know...but maybe that's my own personal bias kicking in...

the only thing with clothing that I tend to pay attention to, is that women (especially) once they are over a certain age, they tend to dress in the same time period that they were happiest in...same with hairstyles... its why I believe those ladies who get divorced and instantly dress like their daughters are very much in the "now", whereas women who are happily married tend not to...its just a mental quirk of mine...i'm sure I have many more...

so derek, in my opinion only, I believe you are still applying a system, but either its second nature and doesn't feel like one consciously - or you have a different term for it altogether...those rules might be strict, or they might be loose...i guess that whats people different types of reader too...

i think what might be interesting to do downstairs is, is to pull 3 cards from the major arcana, and then we all write up the reading we'd give using those three cards and compare/contrast...as well as explain what our internal process might be too...
I've asked to be banned
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Thanks Iain, I've seen so many ads for 'systems' but never bought into them. Especially the 'Learn to do readings in 10 minutes' malarkey. Smile

FACEBOOK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It might just be a vernacular thing - I bet if you wrote up your thought processes in a bulleted list, that would be somewhat "instructional" and therefore, at heart, a system for someone else to look at and learn..

besides which, I am just using the term as I see it...not to be taken as gospel...

personally, I like a backbone to what I do, to give it consistency - and that's in part because even though we are individuals, we kinda experience and want the same kind of things, its just a varying degree dependent on bias and experience...
I've asked to be banned
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Hi there Blake.
I read with interest your post about your tarot experience.
And also your follow up questions about should you use tarot.

It seems to me that as much as it's about what you're happy with, it's also about what people would be happy to see you with.
I get the impression that some people may find you and tarot incongruent.

To that end I'd like you to take a look at this.
http://www.thoughtillusions.com/phopsypro.html

It's something I developed specifically for my own reluctance to use tarot

I'd be happy to send one to you free of charge.
See if it maybe would suit you better than tarot.

steve
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Blake, Listen to Steve, his thinking is spot on and his products are high quality and beautifully made.
(Steve just send the commission to the usual address - thanks LOL)

FACEBOOK
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Thanks Steve. I really appreciate that. its looks very interesting.
Blake
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2014, Stephen Young wrote:
Hi there Blake.
I read with interest your post about your tarot experience.
And also your follow up questions about should you use tarot.

It seems to me that as much as it's about what you're happy with, it's also about what people would be happy to see you with.
I get the impression that some people may find you and tarot incongruent.

To that end I'd like you to take a look at this.
http://www.thoughtillusions.com/phopsypro.html

It's something I developed specifically for my own reluctance to use tarot

I'd be happy to send one to you free of charge.
See if it maybe would suit you better than tarot.

steve

This look fantastic!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Beautiful story BlakeAdams!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I too have had some memorable tarot times, from both sides of the spread. Read up on them and go for it! You'll know soon enough if you're comfortable with them. It always depends how deeply you wish to go. There are so many decks out there to choose from. You'll find them cute and cuddly to strange and serious.

Happy learning!

-Alex
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Has anybody used/tried Innocence Cards by Charles Garner? Apparently this reading system was released Spring 2014, but I have not yet seen any reviews of Innocence Cards.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/innocen......arner-2/

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
This thread made me pull out my tarot stuff again just to play with it. I don't believe in any type of occult things, so like some of you, the tarot is not an oracle for me. I like to just apply the symbols and stories to certain situations to make me think. However, the situations presented in the cards are pretty timeless and universal, and they can really make you think.

As a side note: I am going to vegas in a few days, and I focused on how the trip would go for me and my wife. I drew the following spread:

Justice The Emperor The Devil in that order. Still thinking on this one...

I drew these three for my wife in regards to the trip:
Queen of Pentacles 6 of Wands 5 of Pentacles...hmmm...My interpretation was that my wife has always been conservative with money and decision making with spending and this has led her to a life where she is universally lauded by her friends and family as being wise and giving with her resources. This is reputation is well earned, and it allows her to be able to go on this trip without worry. The third card represents our trip to vegas in that we should not feel our success or failure is based on winning a jackpot. We are likely to get the opposite, but the message is not to miss the relationship and bonding of our marriage we can have while on our trip together.

If I was using the tarot as an oracle, I would say it means we are both up the creek without a paddle while on the strip! :o)
RedDevil's 5th Book of Close-Up Mentalism is here...
Pre-Order "FAUXLOGICAL" at www.reddevilmentalism.com

F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » First experience with Tarot. WOW! (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL