The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » How Annoying (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4337 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Just picked up two packs of red Bicycle cards from a local only to find some stupid freeapp advert on the box,thought it was a sticker NO it is on there so will not be able to swith these out,grrrrrrrrrrr.
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
569 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Buy two more packs of reds Bicycle cards from the same local and you should be ready to go.

Smile Smile
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4337 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2014, Bluesman wrote:
Buy two more packs of reds Bicycle cards from the same local and you should be ready to go.

Smile Smile

Good idea but the box does not match my Extrator box and the new ones have a dirty great big black an yellow sticker on the front,could hide it,but why not stick the dam thing on and at least that way it can be removed. The shop I get my bikes from are a good price ,but now will have to pay more to get them off a magic dealer,oh well.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5275 Posts

Profile of videoman
Penguin sells empty bike boxes for fairly cheap. I'm sure other dealers do as well.
Also, the Richard Turner bikes come in the old style box if that is what you are looking for.
Extractor 2.0 can be into into any card box with just a small amount of work, that's the main difference between it and the first version.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4337 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, videoman wrote:
Penguin sells empty bike boxes for fairly cheap. I'm sure other dealers do as well.
Also, the Richard Turner bikes come in the old style box if that is what you are looking for.
Extractor 2.0 can be into into any card box with just a small amount of work, that's the main difference between it and the first version.


Hi thanks for your reply ,i have extractor in red and blue the blue one being the most up to date version I can get extra decks down Alakasam ,my extractors are in good clean condition I am just peeved the two decks I have brought have a permanant marking on the box and they are all like it in the shop when I enquired,no worries I will get them somewhere else.I do not relish trying to change my boxes ,i am crap at DIY ,lol I will buy a new one when needed,all the best Shane
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
That is what I really hated about the switch to "Standard" from "Rider Back". I bought a TON of gaffed stuff over 20 years or so and 90% in "Rider Back" if a box was in play. Fortunately I have a shoebox full of old boxes (as I have OCD and don't throw things out often enough) so I too can manage - but agree with your point... Why should we have to? If it ain't wrong, WHY fix it? (And who cares about that stupid free app anyway. It is certainly not what got me to grab their brand over another.

On a side note. I have recently switched to Phoenix Brand and have had to make a lot of changes. I am a pretty handy DIY guy and enjoy that part almost as much as performing. Smile I have also ruled out the use of most of the gaffs I have bought over the years. Not because I can't change them over, many I could (or I could just use bikes for a show where I use that particular effect) but it is more so because I don't NEED gaffs to put on an impressive show. A lot of what I have collected through the years was out of pure laziness (let the gaff do the work instead of learning and perfecting another slight) or the constant quest for the Holy Grail of all magic tricks. Got it cause it was the coolest new trick that month. Smile I am pretty sure we have all fallen victim to either from time to time (otherwise all magic shops would be out of business).

I don't own an extractor gimmick, but I think I am a bit familiar with its workings and do know it can be "Re-skinned" to the box of your choice.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4337 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
That is what I really hated about the switch to "Standard" from "Rider Back". I bought a TON of gaffed stuff over 20 years or so and 90% in "Rider Back" if a box was in play. Fortunately I have a shoebox full of old boxes (as I have OCD and don't throw things out often enough) so I too can manage - but agree with your point... Why should we have to? If it ain't wrong, WHY fix it? (And who cares about that stupid free app anyway. It is certainly not what got me to grab their brand over another.

On a side note. I have recently switched to Phoenix Brand and have had to make a lot of changes. I am a pretty handy DIY guy and enjoy that part almost as much as performing. Smile I have also ruled out the use of most of the gaffs I have bought over the years. Not because I can't change them over, many I could (or I could just use bikes for a show where I use that particular effect) but it is more so because I don't NEED gaffs to put on an impressive show. A lot of what I have collected through the years was out of pure laziness (let the gaff do the work instead of learning and perfecting another slight) or the constant quest for the Holy Grail of all magic tricks. Got it cause it was the coolest new trick that month. Smile I am pretty sure we have all fallen victim to either from time to time (otherwise all magic shops would be out of business).

I don't own an extractor gimmick, but I think I am a bit familiar with its workings and do know it can be "Re-skinned" to the box of your choice.


Poof-Daddy I could not put it any better in what you say, I think my extractor box's are in good condition because I only use them from time to time and I do like to use slight of hand and switch box's so yeh I do know what you mean ,never rely on gimmicks all the time if you are good Magician you don't need them ,i went down a storm at a do last night with no gimmicks at all ,well nearly ,lol,all the best, Shane.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
If you want some boxes, check with Paul Gertner. He mentioned that he had a few hundred old fashioned red backed Bike boxes to unload. I bought a few dozen.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4337 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I do not think I have explained myself properly not after old box's happy to buy the current standard box but just not with this silly app ad on the box,lol.
Terapin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Terapin
I was also really annoyed to see the app ad on the side - I needed to buy a bunch more to have matching boxes. It's inconsiderate, especially if you're trying to sub the deck in for a found deck people are playing with!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2014, Terapin wrote:
I was also really annoyed to see the app ad on the side - I needed to buy a bunch more to have matching boxes. It's inconsiderate, especially if you're trying to sub the deck in for a found deck people are playing with!


Problem is, in a few months, that promotion will end and the boxes will change again. I am very happy with my switch to Phoenix Brand. As a fellow magician, Card-Shark really gets it. Bicycle Brand is just a business who sells playing cards.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2014, Terapin wrote:
I was also really annoyed to see the app ad on the side - I needed to buy a bunch more to have matching boxes. It's inconsiderate, especially if you're trying to sub the deck in for a found deck people are playing with!


Just as a complete aside, what's even more annoying is the app itself. You go into it, look up a card game you want to know the rules of, and then when you exit that game try to look up the rules of another game, it takes you back to the first game you chose. So if you need the rules to a second game, you have to exit the app and go back in. I couldn't uninstall the app fast enough.

And, more to topic, I feel your pain - I once bought a bunch of decks from eBay only to see "Free Texas Hold 'Em Rules!" on the side. I was livid. And because the boxes didn't match the one in the picture on the auction page, that marked the first and only time I've ever returned an eBay purchase.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I usually buy regular cards from my local Sams Club, its like a 10 pack of 5 red and 5 blue. I go through a bunch of the boxes hoping I may find some of the packs without that app thing, but to no avail. I hope they get rid of that soon, I am starting to see it everywhere that sells cards. Hopefully its a temporary thing- I pay a real good price for a 10 pack at Sams Club. The security guard there was looking over at me like I was going to steal something and I told him that I'm looking for packs without the app thing on it and I will put them back in the box, you only have to open the flap of the big box that they are in and re-close it when you are done, nothing gets ripped or anything like that!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
My source for card decks is Costco. You get 12 decks (6 red and 6 blue) for less than $15.00. And I've never seen an app sticker on any of them.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
It might be that Costco still has a lot of old inventory in the pipeline. Nattefrost's post seems to indicate that Sam's Club inventory is in a state of transition to the new box. Have to wait and see more new reports from Costco purchasers.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I think I should correct myself here. Like Arthur's, it is also 12 decks of 6 red and 6 blue. And it is $14.99. I originally thought it was $10. Sorry!
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
And I was just at Sam's club the other day and went through a ton of boxes again, all of them with that "app" thing still on it. Ugh!
tomboston
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
88 Posts

Profile of tomboston
I just bought some cards at Costco, and yes, the app "sticker" was on all those boxes too...
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Fire starter;
I feel your pain, I also have problems with card cases in more ways than just an app.

I buy cases of cards every month, and usually everything is fine, but for the past 6
months, I have had the following:

The cases as you have mentioned with the app printed on it.

Cases that do not have a card back on the back side of the case (that leaves out a few
gimmicks that I used to make for people)

Cases that have a big Bicycle logo printed across the back (what the **** is that for?)

and now many cases that the opening and semi circular cut out is in the FRONT of the box
not in the back.

I recently had an order of 5 cases come in, and when I was stocking them on the shelf I
had 2 cases that were not packed in dozens, but in twin cellophane wrap. These cards are fine
and the cases are fine except where a customer requests that the cello wrap stay on the case,
it cannot be done with twin wraps.

I have talked to the U.S. Playing Card Co. many times about all of these changes and it is
always the same answer. "well, they are playing cards, and the cards will always remain the same"
"What difference does the case matter."

It matters a lot when you try to maintain consistency in your product or product line. What I
have noticed is that all of the changes in box design and layout have all been from cards packaged
in Erlanger, Kentucky, and all that I have had come through with different cases have C2011 & C2012
on the ends.

One salesperson for them did tell me that the twin packs were a packaged item for Wal-Mart stores,
so I asked how I got them since I am not a Wal-Mart. All he told me is that they produce a huge amount
of product and it is possible that mixups happen in the warehouse.

Now cases are one thing, but the quality of their card printing also leaves a lot to be desired.

I actually ribbon spread every deck that I get to make sure the borders are proper. For cutting
Svengali decks, it is not too much of a problem, but if cards are to be used for hand making gaffs of
for other items where the borders need to be consistant, then every deck needs to be checked. On the
average, I pull about 9 to 13 decks from every case (144 decks) that cannot be used for my purposes.
This is a better average than 5 years ago when I was getting about 28 to 35 decks out of a case that
were not useable for all my needs.


Also I recently heard that the entire card production may travel to China within the next 5 to 10
years, God help us all if this happens. It may be better profits for them and thekir bottom line, but
it could be a nightmare for magicians.

Just thought I would toss all of that in, so you can see you are not alone.

All the Best
Marty
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4337 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Thanks for the insight Marty,interesting reading for sure,all the best.
Shane
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » How Annoying (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL