The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Invisible deck idea (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
143 Posts

Profile of nlokers
I'm sure its been mentioned way too many times here about having your invisible deck setup in your memorized deck order, but I had a thought today that I haven't ever heard before, interested if this is something that someone else has come up with.

You do an effect in which you claim that you flipped a card over in the pack before the show, as you are getting the deck out you can say something like "I remember it vividly, I went through the cards and found the King of Clubs and it was sandwiched between the Jack of Spades and the Five of Clubs, so I pulled it out flipped it around and put it right back where I had found it"
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
I don't get it?

Smile
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1197 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
One of the basic rules in using a MD is to avoid at all cost that you give the impression that you know the order of the cards by heart.
So don't do things that can even remotely hint to that.
That's my opinion.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
317 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
He means to add details to his story in order to make it more believable. Whether it improves the performance remains to be seen.

To the OP, try both and see which your viewers like more. If it makes the piece more effective, keep it. In magic if you can try to test your performances, as a scientist might, you'll be well on your way. Just be rigorous and exacting. Always challenge your beliefs.
Best,
Jed 6.28.2014, NYC
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
One of the basic rules in using a MD is to avoid at all cost that you give the impression that you know the order of the cards by heart.
That's my opinion.

This could be a weakness in Michael Close's ID routine. The moves of that effect put the reversed selection under the top card of the stack, and Close's recommended patter highlights that--"When you reversed your invisible card and put it back into the invisible deck, do recall putting it beside the Jack of Spades--because there it is!"

Maybe it's wise to avoid that. That said, Close's ungimmicked (but stacked) ID routine is a magician cooler….

Les
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
That's my opinion.

This could be a weakness in Michael Close's ID routine. The moves of that effect put the reversed selection under the top card of the stack, and Close's recommended patter highlights that--"When you reversed your invisible card and put it back into the invisible deck, do recall putting it beside the Jack of Spades--because there it is!"

Maybe it's wise to avoid that. That said, Close's ungimmicked (but stacked) ID routine is a magician cooler….

Les

Not so. His routine only puts it by the jack half the time, but always in the middle. But more importantly, he only calls out the card adjacent to the reversed card so it doesn't really suggest a mem stack. If anything, it's more of a convincer that he really did reverse one card earlier since he claimed to remember where he put the reversed card. I normally carry my mem deck prepared for this effect because it kills. It's also fun for those rare times someone's seen the gimmicked version, hehe.

I do agree with you on one thing though, the routine does cool magicians. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Invisible deck idea (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL