The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Deadly Marked Deck - by Daniel Meadows & MagicWorld (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Hi all,

This has just gone live and I'm really excited by the possibilities...

Here's some blurb:

We are EXTREMELY EXCITED to offer the first of it's kind... a deck so easy to read you could do it with your EYES CLOSED or blindfolded!

Yes you read correctly... This marked deck has been produced so you can easily read a Bicycle playing card without even looking at it. The markings are ever so subtle and invisible to anyone handling the genuine Bicycle cards and yet it's INCREDIBLY EASY to read the cards! We guarantee that within just 5 minutes you will have grabbed the basics of this deck and be reading cards without looking.

It doesn't suffer from the same issues that pegging cards does where it leaves an imprint on the face, adds no discernible thickness to the deck and the deck can pass the dreaded 'riffle test' if inspected.

The deck was previewed at the Deception Convention in Liverpool and received a lot of interest.

Anyone interested can check it out exclusively at Magicworld: http://www.magicworld.co.uk/magic-shop/D......uch.html
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
It's like a Braille marked deck eh?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Hi Saysold1. Yes that's the one. The official Bicycle Braille marked deck isn't that much use (I don't think) for anything covert as the markings are covering the index on the face of each card, and are clearly visible.

It's probably what Charlier would have come up with if he had access to today's technology! I think Charlier just pipped me to the overall concept though as he managed to sneak it into print about 120 years ago!

Currently this is only offered on Bicycle but if anyone is interested in applying the marking system to a brand of their choice then I'm sure that could be arranged...
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Do you have to have a good memory to identify each marked card? as mine is terrible ,lol.
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Hi Fire Starter - Nope. Tiny amount of memory work. It's more of a process thing. You get the motion down, and it is the same motion each time. So you don't really go hunting all over the card - you do the same thing each time in the same places.

The suit is CHSD order, and the value uses a simple counting system. Easy to do, and like I said most people will get this within minutes of playing with it (as attested by the visitors to the dealer's stand).

Another feature I didn't mention was that this works for lefties like me as easily as right-handers. The markings have been placed so that they are mirror imaged for each hand, and also rotationally symmetrical for both ends of the card (So you can pick up a card at either end, with either hand, and still use the same process for reading the mark).

The reading can be done with one hand with a deck in dealer's grip, but I do find it easier to bring my other hand over to assist. This wouldn't look suspect with a deck behind your back as it looks like you're trying not to drop the cards.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Nice idea, may have to get one.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I'm hoping a US dealer will carry this soon.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Hi Jerskin, at the moment it is an exclusive with MagicWorld who can ship worldwide. Each deck takes about an hour to produce and so we are not at the stage where we can offer this wholesale just yet, but we are actively looking at alternate production methods.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You're not making much ground here Daniel. It might be worth sending a couple of copies out to review. Have you tried WPR?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
What would you say the advantage is over this deck, which you have to hold to get the info, vs a regular gimmicked deck which lets you be hands off?
I've asked to be banned
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Answers on 1st post.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Wow. Imagine combining this with a memorized deck…you would be able to locate any named card blindfolded. Smile
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Hi Pegasus - You're right about the progress. We have sent out decks to a few people and are awaiting their additions to the booklet that will accompany the deck. The plan was to wait until all the contributed routines had been received and then to launch, but we were advised to launch early in order to try to protect the idea. So I know that things will be a little slower until the booklet is finalised, but then we should be in a position to hit up the review sites.

Hi Iain - Valid point and something that I have wrestled with, and a consideration was that it might have both markings. There is certainly no reason why you couldn't add your own favourite marking system to one and have the best of both worlds. (Pete McCabe's PM System and Marc Spelmann's NAMD would be my markings of choice). I think there are some routines that could be taken up a notch if you were legitimately blindfolded and the cards remained behind your back at all times. My original idea was to do a version of Bob Farmer's 'Markus Maximus' where the cards are handed to 3 participants in turn who all remove a card and then shuffle it back into the deck themselves. The cards could then be found and named all while truly blindfolded, or held behind your back at all times. I know it is a very niche product that won't be for all, but for a specific purpose might fill the void. There are quite a few 'seeing with the fingers' card routines. This might give someone another way to achieve that effect.

Hi Zack - That's another of the uses I had in mind!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Do like the sound of this deck Daniel,still having fun with infamous ,performed it again this wk end in my bar poor chap never knew what hit him,lol.
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Hi Firestater. Glad you're still rocking Infamous. It's slowly gathering momentum with a string of solid reviews. Hopefully the Deadly Marked Deck will be able to do the same over the coming weeks!
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I just got my hands on one of these decks.
I must say, for someone like me who makes Mr Magoo look like a sniper, it is just wonderful.

The markings for want of a better word are the perfect balance of invisibility and detect ability.
The system anyone can pick up in less than 60 seconds.
Then it's just about getting the "feel" right

A lot of work has gon into this.
They take ages to make.

I can't stop playing with it, and I don't even have any card effects in my repetoire.
(Yes, one of those no cards in mentalism, dudes)
But I may just change my tune now.

Oh by the way, unlike a lot of marked decks, this one is just the same for lefties as it is for right handers.

Steve
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thank you Steven!

I may need to grab one of these based on your raves.

No card effects? None? Maybe you've become too pure ! Hey thanks again for the Flexion replacement. You rock.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Hi Stephen. Thanks very much for adding your your thoughts here. I might have 'turned' you Smile

As a leftie I have always felt excluded with all the 'rightie-optimised' decks and moves. So my starting point was equality for all! I'm glad it generated a bit of buzz when it did the rounds at the MINDS convention in Newcastle. If all the routines are submitted as planned then the booklet could be something special!
ckelley
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, TN
110 Posts

Profile of ckelley
Hi where can I get one of these ordered in the US?
merlins1nd
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of merlins1nd
I have one of these Decks And It Tottaly Rocks... I handed this deck to my magician mate and he shuffled and did all the normal tests for a Marked Deck each time I kept saying normal deck right with a smile on my face .. he kept looking at me saying yes but then looking at me again to say hold on let me check again as I gave him the look of this is no normal deck..

He kept doubting but still could not find anything wrong with the deck.. it is so invisible its untrue.. but somakred that a blind man can use it .. <:OP

I have also used ti for Layman and it kills so what ever effect you do normally with a marked deck looks so much cleaner..

Well done Daniel and James.. for a great addition to my marked deck routines..

Its a no brainer and its fun to play with...

Grreat job
Stephen
The Spiral Princple & Beyond DVD out 17th Feb 2012 @ www.leathalweapons.co.uk and Blackpool
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Deadly Marked Deck - by Daniel Meadows & MagicWorld (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL