The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann tweets this... (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18819 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I would also add, that Boyzone were a hugely popular boy band in the uk for a few years - it doesn't actually mean that they were objectively good or talented...just well marketed and popular...there's no accounting for taste!
I've asked to be banned
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1581 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, IAIN wrote:
I would also add, that Boyzone were a hugely popular boy band in the uk for a few years - it doesn't actually mean that they were objectively good or talented...just well marketed and popular...there's no accounting for taste!

Boyzone were only a small cog is the massive wheel of manufactured crap! The bands come and go, but the wheel keeps turning. They are actually doing a reunion tour soon...

It is all subjective though with a heavy does of marketing and demographics.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1581 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I'm off to tweet Spellman now and tell him that is is all Boyzones fault! Smile
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2761 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
I think it's a misnomer that these guys really make any true money with these products.

I agree, most won't be buying a yacht anytime soon with the proceeds, especially after the jobber rates.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Anyone that knows Marc even a little knows that he is easily one of the coolest and kindest people in the business. He has generously shared his time and advice with me - without my asking I might add - and he is passionate about the craft he excels at.

His statement is true for him and reflects many others view as well ...and I respect that Marc chooses to be opinionated and speak his mind.

Making too much out of a Tweet IMO.

Marc remains one of the best people I know and we can all learn a lot from him. He is a giver and certainly no ego maniac.

He stays away from posting at the Café these days but I think he sneeks around when no one is looking.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12145 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
"I'm not aware of any other profession that is so bombarded with so many deluded novices." SPELMANN 2014 #spelmannsays

Frankly I find this very rude, insulting and full of hypocrisy.

This is the same guy who will have no problem selling his wares to the so called deluded novice.

Thoughts?

Try the financial biz. Try the computer repair biz. Try....
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I was not saying being on television means you are good, I was merely using it as an example. When I used to go to the magic circle I saw many wonderful performers who never got on TV, but they were much better than most who were.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
I have mixed feelings on the tweet. On the one hand, I have watched Marc's penguin lecture and it was excellent and he came across great. But I have to agree to a certain extent with what others and myself have said. If you have a problem with a lot of deluded novices, you should not be selling your effects to anyone that will take them.

I still believe that the term 'deluded novices' comes across as pretty harsh and speaking like you are above other people. I have never liked that sort of attitude. If someone is a novice and thinks they are better than they are - then maybe they should be given some critical advice but still encouraged. It never did me any harm!
There is no holy grail!
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
I have just checked my twitter, I have had interesting conversation with Marc. I must admit, nice guy - he did not have to respond to me. It would appear that this might have been more directed at a specific person that sent nasty correspondence to Marc.

Anyway, I thought I'd open the thread just to get thoughts on this in general and not as a personal attack on Marc. Some good thoughts.
There is no holy grail!
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1149 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
What is the big deal. Its obvious that this is the prevading sentiment of this forum.
Lakewood, Ohio
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Marc is a gem and very kind as a person - he really is.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
"I'm not aware of any other profession that is so bombarded with so many deluded novices." SPELMANN 2014 #spelmannsays

"I'm not aware" ... Marc is speaking from his experience and no one else's.

"of any other profession" ... Given he is a mentalist, then I think we can say thus far, in his experience regarding mentalism.

"that is so bombarded" ... there is a proliferation of something in mentalism.

"with so many" ... For Marc there appears a lot of this thing to which he refers.

"deluded novices" ... the proliferation of mentalists who think they are better than what they really are is that which Marc has referred to.

Notice, he did not characterize all novices as deluded. However, he did say there is a lot.

So, unless I am a deluded novice, I find nothing to be offended about.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1240 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
I love this topic! Just wanted to share that. This conversation applies to every human art/effort known to man.

I don't know/care what motivated Marc, but it is hard to argue that this planet is full of deluded individuals. He doesn't appear to be saying that novices, amateurs, or hobbyists are yech. Many of these folks know their limitations (and are thus not deluded). Many of them could have been professionals but chose different paths and are perfectly happy to keep it all in the hobby corner.

There is a difference between a knowledgeable novice with great potential and a deluded one. There is a difference between an experienced and capable hobbyist who knows his limitations and one who thinks he is Bob Cassidy and can't even order a hamburger without looking down at the counter and mumbling.
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Red Devil,

So, you were the one behind me at McDonald's. Dang.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1240 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Yes, I almost bought your meal for you, but you ordered a supersize with mayonnaise, and I just couldn't support the eating of mayonnaise...:o)
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I like a lot of Mark's work to be honest. Not to mention, he's the talk if the Café right now Smile
Twitter @darjames
Atticus R. Cane
View Profile
Regular user
since Mar 15, 2007 and still only
181 Posts

Profile of Atticus R. Cane
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, Clel-Mentalist wrote:

Graphic design is a pretty sad profession to be in these days.

I blame PowerPoint.
Richtofen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Richtofen
Marc speaks the thruth.
A proof:
Remember Ciel, you want to promote yourself as mentalist and you website was 100% a magician one and not a good one.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10067 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is so common it's not funny and still amazes me too. What happened to mentalists wanting to separate themselves from magic in the name of credibility and believability?

I guess this is the result of mental magic and watered down mentalism and those that still fail to accept or understand the differences, or try to be jack of all trades.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Lmao richtofen at least I have the balls to post my website. And I very much do mentalism with the odd magic effect. To each their own. I don't remember it being a rule you have to make it all real and all that bull.

It's usually the novices that whine about this though. I'm more interested in getting out there and entertaining people. I'm not interested in the bull of lying my ass off and saying I'm psychic or whatever.

Would love to see some of your work richofen - as my site is so bad would love to see your fantastic one and see where I'm going wrong.

And look again at my site, I mention magic show some cards but my video etc is all about mentalism. I'm just not interested in advertising as a psychic or anything. To me mentalism and magic are pretty much the same thing. Once I get in front of people I have no problem getting great reactions and people thinking it is real - although I'm always careful to explain it is no way psychic.
There is no holy grail!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann tweets this... (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL