The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann tweets this... (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Clel why would you be careful in explaining that what you do is in no way psychic?

Imagine if pro-wrestlers announced matches were fake before an event started. Just my opinion but I think this takes some of the fun out of things.

Cheers man.
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
This is so common it's not funny and still amazes me too. What happened to mentalists wanting to separate themselves from magic in the name of credibility and believability?

I guess this is the result of mental magic and watered down mentalism and those that still fail to accept or understand the differences, or try to be jack of all trades.

I'm not sure that's the point Marc was making, or even if he would agree with you judging by this showreel.
http://youtu.be/3xfMvEs3_lE
Richtofen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Richtofen
Edward, you should read the text in the link you put it on... he nowhere claims he's or does mentalism.
the day where people will start to read text is not close to coming...Unfortunately!
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Yes I deliberately do not mention mentalism because in the UK, no-one would use that word. You never hear of people looking to boom a mentalist.

I personally don't want to be associated with psychics as I think a lot of them prey on vulnerable people.
There is no holy grail!
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
You never hear of people looking to boom a mentalist.

I've been waiting to be boomed for years.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Richtofen, Marc is predominantly known for his mentalism. Why do you think this thread is in Penny?
Like most of your posts so far, the insult was uncalled for and says more about you than it does about me.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Richtofen I'm fairly certain is an experienced pro. Opinionated as hel but he's a master at the craft.

Fun to have him here as crazy as that may sound. Best not to take it personally - believe me I speak from experience lol.

We can all learn much from Richtofen - that certainly includes me 😀
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1047 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
I have just checked my twitter, I have had interesting conversation with Marc. I must admit, nice guy - he did not have to respond to me. It would appear that this might have been more directed at a specific person that sent nasty correspondence to Marc.

Anyway, I thought I'd open the thread just to get thoughts on this in general and not as a personal attack on Marc. Some good thoughts.

It certainly came off as a personal attack on Marc. This whole post is A typical here. You hop on, flame someone for whatever reason, then come back and post later that you have actually spoken with the person you flamed, state that he is a nice guy, and then state that there was just a misunderstanding. UGH

Here's an idea, why not try to correspond with the person you are so ready to blast here on the Café BEFORE you do so? Don't you think that would be the more sensible and mature approach? Of course, if your intention is simply to stir the pot, well have at it I guess.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
No flame at all - I posted what someone put on Twitter in public for anyone to see and gave my personal opinion and opened it for discussion. Nothing more.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, if richofen is soo experienced he should back it up with proof before taking a dig. As far as I can see he is a new poster with an attitude problem. If you want to give advice - show me where my website is goingwrong, that's great - show us what you do.

If not shut the hell up.
There is no holy grail!
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Clel how about just saying you wished the criticism was more constructive?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18819 Posts

Profile of IAIN
This is going well...
I've asked to be banned
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
About normal for Penny, I'd say...
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Yes maybe I should have just getting real tired of people hiding behind anonymous user names. At least I have guts to show who I am
There is no holy grail!
scalito
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of scalito
I tend to agree with what Marc posted but with only one sentence actually being evaluated here, it's tough to get a handle on his frame of reference or context. In my experience, all you have to do is go on Youtube and see all the 'deluded novices'.

Most peculiar!

Scalito
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3263 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
He's right up to a point. Though not all novices are deluded and quite a few of the deluded are not novices.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Bit of a storm in a tea cup. Spelmann is one of the most engaging and entertaining mentalist I've seen. Humorous yet credible when required. A very likeable character. As an entertainer he is on top of his game. As for his comment, certainly hard to say there is no truth in it IMHO.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12147 Posts

Profile of John C
I wouldn't be surprised if Marc released a new product tomorrow. After two pages of posts about him. hehehehe

Tricky-dicky!

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1245 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, John C wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Marc released a new product tomorrow. After two pages of posts about him. hehehehe

Tricky-dicky!

j

I'd give Marc more credit then that. Otherwise it's business as usual here. (The majority of posts here are about selling or promoting product)
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, IAIN wrote:
I would like to offer a different perspective...

i think modern life has changed sufficiently to allow/enable people to diversify...whereas a few decades ago, you could (from what I can see at least - might be wrong) - be able to tour a show for a couple of years, drop and switch maybe one or two items, but basically the same "thing"...

whereas now, the market wants something new every year...

and, because of that diversification, people no longer "just" work that show, they also release work, they lecture, they may even have other interests that are also revenue streams...others may even have such a rewarding job that they do not want to give it up, but still offer a pro-show, and do smaller tours...plus a few other things in between...

No...... A real full time performing mentalist THAT TOURS writes a new show every year.

I have toured a different show each year for the last three years and am writing my new one for next year right now. My first two tours were small self funded things of around fifteen shows in venues of no larger than 200 seats and my last one this year was my first "proper" grown up tour promoted by Eddie Izzard's promotor: http://www.mickperrin.com/tours/view/235

I don't think you can call anything under 10 public ticketed theatre shows "a tour" and you can't include lectures/shows for magic clubs (I've never done either) or runs at Edinburgh Fringe (although I've done three very successful ones of those), on that basis I think the only mentalists in the UK who've done solo tours in the last 12 months are myself and Derren Brown.

That said, it is perfectly possible to make a decent living not doing public shows - Just doing corporate shows and walk around and if you are doing that there is no need to produce new material each year. My corporate show's hardly change over the last 6 years.

Though if all the UK mentalists that claimed to be full time pros actually were this recession would have been resolved solely on their income.... Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18819 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Suffolk wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, IAIN wrote:

whereas now, the market wants something new every year...

No...... A real full time performing mentalist THAT TOURS writes a new show every year.

so that's a yes, really isn't it? the rest of my comments were talking about people who had an act a couple of decades ago - and then about the amount of people who gig, but also diversify and have other jobs...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann tweets this... (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL