The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann tweets this... (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
Labels, labels, labels. Why do we care? A guy who doesn't earn a dime can be as good or better than a pro. Who really cares?

You do. Take a look at your original post. Smile
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Ok I admit it, I'm not a novice, but I am dedicated deluded professional Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Suffolk wrote:
Professional in the context of an entertainer means performing as your main income with all the attendant risks & pressures that puts on each performance. .

Well, that statement is quite obviously and demonstrably false.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
How so? The primary definition of "professional" refers to doing something for a living rather than a pastime.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
I've always classed myself as a Semi-Pro. I used to teach full time and perform at weekends, however over the past few years I've found myself more and more booked up to perform at parties/weddings and events. I doubled my fee's and now perform more than most so called 'Professionals'. Ive won 2 awards for my business in the past year and have currently been nominated for another national award for 'best entertainment'

My teaching is now part-time as I near my transition toward full time performer. I've done it in increments and built up a good client base. I chose not to be a full time performer because it would have been a stupid and irresponsible decision in the economic climate. I would say however that the way in which I have built my business has been done is a thoroughly professional manner, and am by my clients considered a professional performer.

Kind regards
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
How so? The primary definition of "professional" refers to doing something for a living rather than a pastime.

Many of my close friends and associates are professional entertainers of one stripe or other. Some are actors, some musicians, some singers or backing singers, some comedians. Many of them are fortunate to earn vast sums of money doing what they do, others have to have another job to tide them over the periods in-between work. (Their is no correlation for the most part between their abilities and their earnings). That is certainly the reality for actors in the UK, whose daily rates have been destroyed in the last ten years. People who have trained for three years at some of the most prestigious acting academies in the world and have appeared in feature films, tv shows and the west end stage would rightly be greatly offended if you suggested they were not professional actors because they have to earn a living elsewhere between jobs. Same with some comedians and musicians I know. Some of them have performed on TV and alongside some of the biggest names in music and comedy-yet still have to earn money elsewhere to keep them going. Are we suggesting they are not professionals?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
They certainly are. The show business profession is notorious in that most of its members need to supplement their incomes with work in other fields, especially when they are first starting out. But those are usually fields in the service industries (waiting tables, bartending, cooking, etc.), where you can easily quit and get rehired somewhere else whenever you need to.

I, too, have had to take other jobs when the work was thin. My skills as a bartender and a short order cook saved the day on more than a few occasions.

But I don't think that's what we're talking about here. There are many who call themselves professional mentalists who are not struggling, at whatever cost, to make it in the business, but who are simply supplementing the income they get from full-time careers in other fields from which they have no intention of leaving.

The problem, obviously, is also semantics, since the secondary definition of "professional" simply refers to one who has the skills that would normally be associated with an actual professional in a field.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, Ulrich wrote:
From when is mentalism a profession?

We are hired to entertain, so we are entertainers. I can't see any difference in the final result between mentalist's performance and lets say stand-up comedian's (except our performances are much more better right? Smile)

Of course, if mentalist is good, he/she have the power to change perception of spectator, he can even change his/her life. You can't do that obviously when you are pushing a corn through your eye...

So with this being said, I think, that mentalism is the only entertainment, that can affect audience on a deeper level (as far as I know), maybe we are not as funny as comedians are, maybe we are not as sexy as lap-dancers are, maybe we can't sing so great as singers can (except Chester Sass, he is a really great singer!) but we can provide something really wonderful - an unforgettable moment. That funny guy will be fotgotten, that sexy girls will be forgotten, but that mysterious man, that knew how old I was when I first fallen in love and even her name, that guy will last forever.

So do I agree with him? Yes and no. The true is, that many novices and beginners can make mentalism look very bad, non-entertaining and non-affecting. That's bad for clients that hired them, and bad for us, mentalists, who are now in much harder position to get job, after such a horrible experience. But without novices, who would continue in making a wonderful history for mentalists and mystery entertainers then? Can you imagine Kenton Knepper saying to young Pete Turner, who approached him and asked him for help, saying "No, you are just a deluded novice, I don't care about you." Yes, we may lost one of the most wonderful performers and creators I have ever seen in my life.

I love Marc's material, his persona is really mysterious and entertaining and he seems like a good guy, so I'm sure he didn't meant to offend anyone Smile But sometimes, it's good to rethink what you are posting on social sites.

Blessings
Ulrich

Would it be safe to say that the entertainment profession is filled with many deluded novices? Check out how many "Got Talent" shows there are.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
There are even more deluded comedians......
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Having said that.... I once had a "pro mentalist" approach me at one of the few conventions I've ever attended and tell me how he opens "his corporate walkaround set" with a star sign revelation involving a progressive anagram.
Oh dearie, dear...... :-/
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
At least he wasn't telling you about his pet snake that the children love #nevergoingtoamagicconventionagain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marc Spelmann tweets this... (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL