The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommend some new tricks? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Terapin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Terapin
Hi there!
A friend gave me a fire wallet, and on a whim I put together a small routine with a disappearing coin and the wallet which enraptured my six year old, but I'm having trouble finding anything that will be as visually funny and engaging as the wallet - any tips on things that are as dramatic and engaging for kids?
Thanks!
Terapin
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Plenty of things, but it depends on what you know, what you're comfortable with, and what you like. I might be inclined to do sponge balls, but someone else might be inclined to do something with balloons, while someone else still might try linking rings. Don't underestimate the value of a really good vanish.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Terapin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Terapin
Hi there - I'm pretty new, and don't have any real practiced techniques - I've just managed to string together these tricks in a way that works, and am kind of hooked! What appeals to me about it is that the setup is a disappearing coin / appearing in the wallet, and then you 'teach' the kid how to do it, asking them to magically think of sending the coin to the wallet, only to have it burst into flames - it cracks them up every time, and younger kids accept the premise that they are just 'doing it wrong'. I was wondering about the silk to egg or something like that, but the fire effect is so compelling... I was really unimpressed with torch to rose - and was looking for other ideas like it... Thanks!
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Fire and Kids being entertained by it, I would venture to say that their interest is not in the magic as much as the FIRE!!. Colorful silk productions might be a better choice to judge there amazement by.Just a thought.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
Terapin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Terapin
I think you're right - they are completely unimpressed by the coin disappearance and transport, but crack up at 'messing up my trick and making my wallet catch fire"... Smile
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Having been through my own four kids, I would be very cautious about introducing "amazed with fire" as entertainment. If you are hooked on magic, go to the library and check out some magic books. Get one from the children's section and you can read it together, and he can help you decide which one you should do next.

Ed
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Magic that happens in their hands unexpectedly can also cause the same sensation as fire, and it is a lot safer. Sponge balls that vanish from your hand and appear in their hand are good for this, as well as card tricks where the change occurs when the card is in their hands (can be done with kiddie picture cards if the kids are really young). Cut and restored rope in their hands also is amazing to them. Look for a solution that involves them getting their hands in on the magic and you will be a great success even without fire.

From your post you seem to be into coin magic, so you might try a coin switch in the child's hand and see if it is as impressive as the fire trick.
Terapin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Terapin
Sounds good - what is the name of the vanish ball trick you're talking about?
Thanks!
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I think he's just talking about a standard sponge ball routine. You can get the balls online or at any magic shop (just ask for sponge balls), and you can find instructional information in lots of different books or DVDs. It's really good classic sleight of hand stuff, but because it's classic, you can find it just about everywhere.

If you don't like sponge BALLS, there are other options. They make them shaped like bunnies (sponge bunnies) or in a variety of other shapes. Jay Sankey has a set shaped like giant earplugs called Earplugs. They all work the same--it's just a presentational preference.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The one I was referring to is Qua-Fiki's Zippy Color Sponge Routine which uses two different color sponge balls and an optional Zipper bracelet. You'll find it in The Wizards' Journal #26. He also made a version for little kids based on a Dr. Seuss rhyme, but that might be too much for a beginner. However, for reference, it is found in The Wizards' Journal #20 and is called "One Fish, Two Fish" Color Sponge Ball Routine by Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki. You cut the sponge balls and glue them into the shape of fish using rubber cement and following his directions. Both of these have lots of hands-on roles for helpers.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6926 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki is one BRILLIANT magician! Yeah. Go with that! Oh, and welcome to the Café, Terapin! Smile And speaking of Sponge Bunnies, I like these:

Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere by Goshman
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S3241

3D Rabbits from Magic by Gosh
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-By-Gosh-3D-Rabbits/dp/B008Z21NXS

Doug
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1422 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Welcome to the Café Terapin. You might try vanishing and reappearing silk using a TT. Always goes over great and you won't be training young pyromaniacs. Just a thought.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Do no discount the 3 Shell Game. Not a good stage presentation but fantastic at a table for a few people. A good starting point is "School for Scoundrels" an Introduction to the shell game.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Terapin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Terapin
Thanks for all the ideas!
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1016 Posts

Profile of Ado
Sponge balls, paper balls, ropes.

P!
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
If I was 6.....not magic but balloons....then I can have crowns, and sword fights and weird animals.

but having said that Ed's idea of going to the library together is awesome.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
If the oldest is 6, I wouldn't do balloons just yet. A single small broken piece can block a child's airway and you have bare minutes to get help. If the youngest is 6 then a cheap kit from WalMart is a good place to start.

Ed
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Sugar Rush. A great trick for kids using candy bars.
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
103 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
Flash paper may prove a welcome addition to the previously mentioned sponge ball routines.
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
I agree that silk magic is great for kids. Lots of great material out there to learn about it...i would check out Duane Laflin.

Also having 5 kids of my own I can tell you just by jazzing around objects in there hands that change or disappear is another great route to go.
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommend some new tricks? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL