The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommend some new tricks? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
A small chop cup might just catch the imagination of your little one.
(Plus you can easily adapt a routine for adults, too!)

Julie
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Plenty of talk here about fire magic, but only one cautionary note. Certain types of magic should not be done for young children and fire magic is one of them, particularly flash paper. What does a piece of flash paper look like to a kid? It looks just like a piece of toilet paper and little kids are prone to try and get magic to work for themselves but getting a piece of toilet paper and then lighting it on fire. It's an accident waiting to happen. No fire magic for little kids!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DvhyWz-cv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrs-BX624cI

heres a couple sponge ball things I do and I get killer reactions with these. the vids were taken when I was still putting the routines together so I do them a lot smoother now but its just an example of what you can do with spongeballs .
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I do a lot of shows for kids and for me anything with fire or poking things with swords and spikes are real no nos. Kids like to imitate and you sure wouldn't want them copying fire tricks and knife penetrations. In addition to what's already been suggested try Tommy James. He has a lot of great effects for kids. Look into Silly Billy. He's supposed to be a top kid magician. I do vent and kids love puppets. Of course you have to learn ventriloquism first but it's well worth it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, MRSharpe wrote:
Plenty of talk here about fire magic, but only one cautionary note. Certain types of magic should not be done for young children and fire magic is one of them, particularly flash paper. What does a piece of flash paper look like to a kid? It looks just like a piece of toilet paper and little kids are prone to try and get magic to work for themselves but getting a piece of toilet paper and then lighting it on fire. It's an accident waiting to happen. No fire magic for little kids!

FIRE TRICKS -- FOR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!<<<<<<<<<<< NO! >>>>>>>>>>>> MRSharpe IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT~!!! BEFORE you do fire tricks for kids, YOU HAD BETTER BUY PLENTY OF HOSPITAL INSURANCE....AND PLENTY OF INSURANCE ON YOUR HOME....AND IF YOU ARE A WORKING PERFORMER DOING KID SHOWS, YOU HAD BETTER BUY THE IBM OR SAM OR CFA LIABILITY INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!

I strongly recommend that you visit the burn unit in the nearest children's hospital.

FIRE IS A GOOD SERVANT, BUT, A BAD MASTER!!! KIDS ARE FASCINATED BY FIRE!!! KIDS "PLAYING" WITH FIRE ARE AN "ACCIDENT"(?) W A I T I N G TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!

If you need to do fire tricks to "entertain" children, I suggest that you should go see a psychiatrist.

I've been entertaining kids for 68 years. A few of those who read my comments think that I'm a grumpy old man. Those who know me, know that I'm anything but.

PERCY ABBOTT once sold a kid "magician" a flash pot ("BANG/POOF"). The resulting law suit nearly put the Abbott Magic Co. out of business.

Flash paper, flash string, black gunpowder, ARE NOT TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2014, krowboom wrote:
I do a lot of shows for kids and for me anything with fire or poking things with swords and spikes are real no nos. Kids like to imitate and you sure wouldn't want them copying fire tricks and knife penetrations. In addition to what's already been suggested try Tommy James. He has a lot of great effects for kids. Look into Silly Billy. He's supposed to be a top kid magician. I do vent and kids love puppets. Of course you have to learn ventriloquism first but it's well worth it.

This makes THREE of us, who KNOW that FIRE and KIDS can be a LETHAL COMBINATION!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2014, Ray Bertrand wrote:
Welcome to the Café Terapin. You might try vanishing and reappearing silk using a TT. Always goes over great and you won't be training young pyromaniacs. Just a thought.

Ray

HOORAY RAY! At least there are FOUR OF US!

To those who recommended ALTERNATIVES to FIRE TRICKS::::::Thanks for your POSITIVE SUGGESTIONS!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, Ed_Millis wrote:
Having been through my own four kids, I would be very cautious about introducing "amazed with fire" as entertainment. If you are hooked on magic, go to the library and check out some magic books. Get one from the children's section and you can read it together, and he can help you decide which one you should do next.

Ed

Oops! I was reading rapidly, and "missed" your comment! THANKS FOR YOUR PRECAUTIONARY NOTE!
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
I agree no fire for kids at all!!!! I just tried the quiet approach of just mentioning something else. I know how some people are here at the Café and didn't want to start another riot thread. But since others have commented openly I would never do a fire effect for children. But hey silks are pretty...they would like that!!!
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks "M_M_J" for chiming in! Chicago schools have had several school fires with children DYING.

When I was a program consultant for the School Assembly Service in Chicago, I often "inherited" the MC job at our annual auditions for new talent. New talent would present about 18-20 minutes of the program that they proposed to do. We had an average of 20 school administrators, plus our staff of program consultants to observe how the talent's program would appeal to Jr. Hi kids.

We had several magicians auditioning that day. The first was a young man who opened a "box" and proceeded to lay various fire props on his table. I told him that schools in Chicago did not allow even lighting a match. He ignored me and set his props on stage. I opened the curtain, keeping one hand on the rope, and he lit a torch. Elizabeth Carlson,owner/manager of the SAS, came running down the aisle, screaming: "No fire!" as I closed the curtain I said, "Betty, I TOLD him!" He packed up and left.

Some adults are fascinated by fire (as most children are). Some magicians are fascinated by fire, too. When kids see adults (and magicians) PLAYING WITH FIRE, guess what happens.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
This morning on the national TV news:::::THE "LATEST GAME" FOR YOUNG TEEN AGERS IS THE >>>FIRE CHALLENGE<<<~!

Young kids are dousing themselves in FLAMMABLE FLUIDS, AND SETTING THEMSELVES ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Sounds like great fun, waste of time showing them a fire wallet then.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
LewisF
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of LewisF
Transpositions and vanishes are often not so impressive to kids (unless incredibly visual). Get them to interact a lot and you make stuff more impressive. Tricks like a lubor's lens are great because they involve an object doing something it shouldn't. Also jumbo coins are great and all wierd props are lovely for kids (and often adults as well).
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
There's a matchbook trick in Joshua Jay's book that I did for a guy whose kids were present. The next day my wife got a call from his wife, who informed us that she caught her kids trying to duplicate it. Their oldest is nine. So in addition to the many calls in this thread for no fire magic in front of kids, I would remind anyone of that which I didn't think about for so much as a moment: the presence of a parent doesn't make it any better at all.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
The Tamariz rabbits always goes over well with kids. You might have to search a bit for the cards though !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm glad that I'm not the only "grumpy old man" (!!!hee hee!!!) [see my very strong post on page 1 of this thread)

I'll add one more FIRE "story".....

Greg Bordner (current owner of Abbott's Magic Co.) was a teenage magician, MANY years ago! (hey...his dad owned Abbott's!).

Abbott's made and sold a FIRE BOWL. The bowl was fueled with a flammable fluid. It was ignited by tipping the bowl from "standing on edge" to a horizontal position. Two chemicals reacted. The ignition was instantaneous!

He had "safely" (?) loaded it backstage. Then, he noticed that his shoe was untied.

He bent down to tie his shoe--AND REMOVED HIS COAT IN RECORD TIME.

Abbott's doesn't make fire bowls anymore.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George~! Re: fire wallet post above -- du hast recht! vous avez raison, Hee Hee. --Maybe a fire attache case??? HEE HEE!
regimbeaup
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of regimbeaup
Not for kids obviously but the cigarette through lighter is really impressive, and you finish clean:)
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
Angle z by daniel madison. Extremely visual and you can make it funny
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Si Tomas! (HERE COMES THE "BUT"); BUT, FIRE AND KIDS DO >>>NOT<<< GO TOGETHER!!!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have a three year old daughter. She doesn't get cards, but she loves coin magic! Learn tenkai pennies and there is a slew of things you could do. I do a little routine where I show my hands empty, take a penny in one hand and say I'm going to make it go to the other hand. I close both hands and make a magic move. I open the other hand and it's empty. I open the first hand and it has a dime. I ignore that it's a dime and I say "Rats, it didn't work. Let me try again." I do this a few times, each time the coin changes from one to the other. My three year old picks up on it pretty quickly and starts laughing that the coin changed.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Recommend some new tricks? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL