We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Art Vanderlay excerpt (60 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Well when you put it like that Smile
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2979 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Art may well have used a stooge but it certainly isn't the only- nor the most likely- method. I can think of several methods to create this effect-some straightforward, some elaborate in the extreme. One thing's for sure-however he did it, he's got people talking. The same way they used to talk about Geller. Take it to the grave Art. The seed of doubt will kill them!
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Why are we still arguing about this? Can't we all just accept that Art made a blood pact with the devil in return for power over nature, with the caveat that he's never allowed to speak of the deal? It's all pretty obvious when you think about it! Smile
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1340 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1340 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Presumably this qualified as elemental manipulation and "Art" is selling these elemental manipulation weekends and DVD. The video is obviously part of a marketing campaign, as is the name Art Vanderly itself. To pretend otherwise is just rather silly.

Is it stooged? Don't know - but I think it very likely. I can't take an empassioned defence of the effect's plausibility from any third party seriously. Those that have been around can think of the likely 'solutions', they lead overwhelmingly to stooge or alternatives that would make the effect as percieved here overwhelmingly underwhelming.

It does of course reflect very poorly on young Art; as it does on those that are in this thread leaping to his defence. Of course, what goes around comes around and I believe I read Art giving the full weight of his belief to Peter Turners (honest it wasn't a set-up) PIN guess during the Penguin lecture in another thread.

It's really all quite embarassing.

Embarrassing indeed.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1340 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
What difference does it make? He's not selling it.

Dunninger once claimed to be able to make a battleship invisible. As far as I know he never offered the effect for sale and no one every criticized him for it.

That was before social media, the Internet and forums. If Dunninger were alive today, and made a similar claim, you can be *** sure people would be talking - and criticizing him, IF he could not substantiate the claim.

I knew Joe Dunninger. Joe Dunninger was a friend of mine. And let me tell you something, Art is no Joe Dunninger.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I propose a challenge!

Art Vanderlay, you simply need to tell me how you did it and I will inform everyone that it is a true method!

XP Kidding, of course. I don't know if this is stooged or not, but I know Art is a really stand up guy and I also know that people often limit their effects because they limit their methods. Art just doesn't limit himself.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Enotskcalb wrote:
Quote:

Dunninger once claimed to be able to make a battleship invisible. As far as I know he never offered the effect for sale and no one every criticized him for it.

That was before social media, the Internet and forums. If Dunninger were alive today, and made a similar claim, you can be *** sure people would be talking - and criticizing him, IF he could not substantiate the claim.

I knew Joe Dunninger. Joe Dunninger was a friend of mine. And let me tell you something, Art is no Joe Dunninger.

Actually, Dunninger was relentlessly attacked and exposed by magicians during his career- notably by Richard Himber. And he was challenged about the battleship thing- but long after the challenges were forgotten, the claim was remembered.

Whether or not Art is Dunninger is beside the point. (But nice allusion to Lloyd Bentsen's famous retort to Dan Quale in their vice-presidential debate, in which he said, "I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. And you're no Jack Kennedy.")

Besides, there is a very old optical illusion that most of you have probably seen in a different form, that would allow you to do something very close to Art's effect. Am not going to engage in exposure here, but let me assure you that it CAN be done without stooges. (Not saying that Art does it this way or not- just that it is quite possible and not at all impractical.)

BTW, did you ever hear Kreskin describe in his show how he once linked dozens of borrowed finger rings together so they formed a chain that spanned the stage? Have you criticized him for not substantiating the claim?

Did you ever hear of a thing called "showman's license?"
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
But nice allusion to Lloyd Bentsen's famous retort to Dan Quale in their vice-presidential debate, in which he said, "I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. And you're no Jack Kennedy.")

I knew that had a familiar ring to it. I was beginning to think we had the original Yrrah Enotskcalb haunting us.

By the way Enotskalb, every time I see that name I have a mental-micro-seizure. Don't ask me why. Smile
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
All I Read Was Corinda And Now I Have
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
Ok guys how about this:

Even though I am not selling anything, did not "leak" the video or use this to promote anything, it seems like a few of you want me to become a performing monkey and demonstrate it to you for free. Well that's not going to happen. The next time I will be performing this is during my next elemental manipulation weekend at the start of August and they are not filmed.

I will, however, allow you all to nominate someone of trust, like Bob Cassidy, Richard Osterlind, anyone who I do not know personally. I will explain my methods to them on the basis that they do not reveal it anywhere. They will then post here that my method is real, does not use stooges and names can indeed be spelled out in the clouds.

Sound fair?

If you still want to stamp your feet then as I have mentioned before, book an elemental manipulation weekend and witnesses it for yourself.

There are many ways to do this, others have posted ideas of their own that do not require stooges, some outright explained the methods they have in mind whilst others just hinted. Let me just say the method is not original to me and can be found in the literature that we read however the presentation and information obtaining is original to me.

Kind regards
Art
THE MAN WHO CONTROLS THE ELEMENTS!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2979 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:

I will, however, allow you all to nominate someone of trust, like Bob Cassidy, Richard Osterlind, anyone who I do not know personally. I will explain my methods to them on the basis that they do not reveal it anywhere. They will then post here that my method is real, does not use stooges and names can indeed be spelled out in the clouds.

Sounds more than fair.

I nominate you reveal the method to Martin Pulman. He has always seemed fair and objective in his comments and would be the only logical choice.

Yours,
Martin Pulman.
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
542 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
@ART:
Why should you reveal anything?
It's your effect, and you don't have to prove anything to anyone!!

People don't believe you? So what?
Your credibility and carrier is not depending on two or three people that don't believe you.

They won't buy anything you have to offer?
Great,makes your stuff even more exclusive when not everybody is buying!

I, for one, enjoyed the video (and I don't even WANT to know how you did it).

Regards,

Frank
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I wouldn't go to the trouble Art.

Even if you did get verification from someone that everybody believed 100%, those who have shouted SCAM (even though it is just their opinion)
won't be rushing on here to apologise.

!@#$ 'em. Don't dance to their tune.
You know if it's real or not.
As long as lay audiences buy it then that's enough

steve
♠Sylar♠
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of ♠Sylar♠
Don't do it Art, as you said, you are not a performing monkey that does this for free. If people want to see it they should hire you like everyone else. Now I want you to make clouds look like the star destroyer, how much ?

Sylar
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of rasp
Have to agree...... DON'T DO IT ART!!!

Rasp.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Enotskcalb wrote:
Quote:

Next thing you know someone will claim to be able to make the Statue of Liberty disappear or walk through the Great Wall of China.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

What is the world coming to????
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, Stephen Young wrote:
I wouldn't go to the trouble Art.

Even if you did get verification from someone that everybody believed 100%, those who have shouted SCAM (even though it is just their opinion)
won't be rushing on here to apologise.

steve

I agree, Art. If I were to verify that your effect works as described without stooges, those who don't believe it would simply not believe me either. (Trust me, it's happened before.)

But I did test the method I alluded to earlier and can say that it does work. How deceptive it would be on a long term basis- given a participant's ability to reflect back on what happened- I can't say.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18022 Posts

Profile of IAIN
A sense of entitlement without justification?
NEW - ECCE LOQUOR - how to read anything
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

BIG SALE ON...no code needed...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Sorry Iain for interrupting the flow there!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Art Vanderlay excerpt (60 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL