The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Pygmalion Effects: Reality as an Art by Aaron Alexander (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
hashtagmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of hashtagmagic
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2014, aalexander wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2014, hashtagmagic wrote:
TLDR: My review is unbiased. Aaron gave me a free book.

Sorry to butt in, this is just a perfect moment to explain how I try to operate:

To be clear, nobody got a free copy. Case in point: he probably doesn't know it, but "Hallucination" was the first person to buy a copy of PE (Alpha) back when it was a 430 page behemoth. I did not know him prior that, there were no reviews and, as I come from a different background, not a single performer anywhere knew who I was. I'm not sure, but I think he saw a clip from an old lecture and emailed me. After spending a year or so fixing up that version, I made sure that anyone that took a chance with the older copy would also get the polished book that I had originally set out to write.

Complete disclosure now: Of the final version, I gave only 2 copies out for no money, both from the first small run. One was for a huge stack of high-quality material, the other was a very special case. There were no review copies, no advertising or promotion, or anything but the work speaking for itself through the people who own it. Otherwise, in 2012 I sent copies of the older book to a panel of about 10 experts in various fields (including Bill, as he implied) for detailed comments and advice that would not be shared with anyone but me.

All of that said, nobody has to take a blind chance on my material. Anyone who is considering getting a copy can see an unlisted private page with full details and honest unpublished reviews, and I openly answer all questions (not the ones in my signature). It should always be honest and transparent, just not public.

tl;dr: When you spend a good fraction of your years on a particular project, you handle its fruits with a certain care and integrity - both on and off of the written page. I'm no exception. I hope everyone with any of my work will expect the same level of accountability that "Hallucination" was talking about.

-Aaron.

Ah, not to knock your product. I bought bridge and it's great. I was just being cheeky.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
500 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Many of the compliments that I could offer Aaron and his incredible PE have already been given in previous reviews and posts. I would like to add that my interaction with Aaron, both in purchasing Bridge and then PE, has been extremely positive--he's a great guy and extremely quick to respond!

By submitting this post I know it will bring this thread back to the top of Mentally Speaking and for me that realization is bitter-sweet. On one hand, Aaron deserves more recognition for this contribution to the community but on the other, I secretly wish this thread would disappear into oblivion so less performers would be aware of the power this book provides you.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of eric6
Drew I share everything you said above and I'm eager to see PE2. Aaron told me that it may come to life if enough people show interest : I do... Smile
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
958 Posts

Profile of shakuni
+1 for PE2.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
In general (with just one reservation) I like the book and contents. But as I get older I find I learn differently. As a book lover it pains me to say that I wish purchasers could have access to videos of Aaron performing the routines. This material is too good to just leave unused because of uncertainty.

Just my opinion of course. Pleas note I'm seeking clarity; I have no desire to copy anyone else's presentation!
One Eyed Jack
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, United Kingdom
44 Posts

Profile of One Eyed Jack
Another +1 For PE2.
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
I have to agree with Roylan and say that I would have greatly benefited from some videos of Aaron performing these effects. That said, Aaron has been very helpful in dealing with any problems I've had. Pygmalion Effects is a wonderful book.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2839 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Aren't the videos for at least two of the effects up on Aaron's site?
One Eyed Jack
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, United Kingdom
44 Posts

Profile of One Eyed Jack
You are right Bill. You can see demonstrations of both Push and Psychic Surgery (as well as Bridge) here; http://pygmalioneffects.com/
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
To be fair, you can see partial videos of 2 or 3 effects on the website. They are not complete and are not instructional (they aren't meant to be). I can understand fully why Aaron doesn't want to post public videos, but it's something that I would have liked. It's is quite a large investment in time and money and I want to do it justice.

However, I know that Aaron is committed to helping out purchasers whenever he can, and is certainly more approachable than some!
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Not long ago there were uncut public videos of everything but Ghost Touch. I didn't bother moving them all to the new web page. I do send links to people want a visual. As Roylan pointed out, though, they aren't video instructions. You see what the spectators see, so there's no discussion and the process is still invisible.

Part of the decision to not make video instruction was that the demonstrations are just that - demonstrations. What they demonstrate is something bigger that people will apply in their own way. Also important was that video would have been too easy to share. Both have to do with the thought that if the effects outshine and out-travel the rest, we would leave behind some key nuggets and just end up with another magic book.

That was the calculation at the time, anyway. I'll use the feedback I got and continue to get to improve the next project.
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of eric6
Hello Aaron
I would be pleased to receive the links. And what about PE 2 and other projects ? Smile
Thanks
Eric
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Is push really 100 percent reliable? what does the book cost?
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
It is!
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, Your Thinking Cap wrote:
It is!

Hmmmm, are we sure that 'it is' is a full and correct answer to a potential purchaser.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile pointing out that Push is very reliable assuming certain conditions are met. These include, but are not limited to, the experience of the performer, the connection with the spectator, the environment, the context, stage/spectator management, and performers knowledge/belief of the principles.

It's not 100% under all and any circumstances, but the above can help make it as reliable as most will need.
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
Fair enough. I was on the go when I wrote my initial response, so I didn't have time to write a full answer out. What you said is definitely true- a good performance is contingent on those things. In my experience though and with Aaron's tips, it is extremely reliable.
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Thx for answer.. do not know the method but if its about suggestion/nlp/psychology it is usually never 100% reliable.. could be something different with hypnosis..

anyhow: still curious: whats the price of the book?
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, backinblack wrote:
Thx for answer.. do not know the method but if its about suggestion/nlp/psychology it is usually never 100% reliable.. could be something different with hypnosis..

anyhow: still curious: whats the price of the book?

It's about £175 or US$270. It's a nicely produced paperback book that contains a lot more than 'Push'. Aaron can give you more details if you get in touch with him on here.

I think part 2 is coming out this year but again Aaron can tell you more.
eusbanger
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of eusbanger
I received the book and Aaron was VERY kind and helped with all he can, 10/10 customer service.

about the book... I only read it very fast and jumping from here to there, only stopping at "invisible rope" and "push".

I tried "invisible rope" and it worked wonderfully, very very entertaining.
"push" didn't go as planned, but I'm no dissapointed because my wife is VERY sceptic and difficult to work with (but she felt "invisible rope" very vividly).
with all the tips of Aaron, I can see it working almost 100%.

all the routines seems very engaging and I can see myself enjoying them very much. I'll write again when I tried them.

highly recommended book, worth the price.
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, eusbanger wrote:
I only read it very fast and jumping from here to there, only stopping at "invisible rope" and "push".

It sounds like you are talking about your first try before reading the book itself. That's a clear A+ for gumption, but also remember that each "effect" in the book is just a demonstration of a principle. If Push is taken out of its context and used like a mentalism effect, it is kind of neutered. Push is my go-to demonstration with skeptics for a lot of reasons, as is discussed elsewhere in the book.

Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, Rolyan wrote:
Perhaps it would be worthwhile pointing out that Push is very reliable assuming certain conditions are met. These include, but are not limited to, the experience of the performer, the connection with the spectator, the environment, the context, stage/spectator management, and performers knowledge/belief of the principles.

To be fair, a thumb tip is very reliable assuming certain conditions are met. These include, but are not limited to, the experience of the performer, the connection with the spectator, the environment, the context, stage/spectator management, and performers knowledge/belief of the principles. Without those, nothing works, not even After Effects, which is as it should be. The day someone writes to say that my work is perfect if you have no talent and hate your participants, I'm cashing in my chips and going home.

But when we imagine connection, belief, and so on, is it something that is "managed" or "used," or is it something that opens worlds for us? I think a big part of what we're really talking about here is whether something like Push has the same limitations as ideas that performers are familiar with, like postural sway suggestions or DR, when in fact it is an extremely different beast. Certainly these methods will vary depending on whose hands they are in, but we also know that several people are now using Push on stage or in high-stakes situations without any worry, as I have been doing for years. It absolutely will not fit everyone, which is, again, as it should be.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Pygmalion Effects: Reality as an Art by Aaron Alexander (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL