The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory training (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Http://wondergressive.com/experiment-in-photographic-memory/
Does anyone Know if this is real? Does it work?
Reality is a real killjoy.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Sounds like a load of you-know-what.

There's no such thing as a truly photographic memory. If you want to learn to develop your memory skills so it SEEMS that your memory is eidetic (or photographic) I recommend the works of Harry Lorayne.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
As usual, list to Bob. By the way, if you apply Lorayne's techniques for things such as a magazine memory test you will feel like you have a photographic memory. When they call out a page number you practically see that page in your head with all the photos, words, etc.

I felt like I had super human powers the first time I applied this method.

Here's a personal anecdote: When I was first practicing the magazine test I went one week or more without looking at that one particular magazine because I was working on something else. I happen to be visiting a friend and noticed he had the same magazine... which was now weeks old. I gave it a try and had him call out page numbers. WOW!!! It's one of those times that I startled myself. Everything came back. I was calling out facts, numbers, photos, etc, right and left. I think I was more impressed than my friend.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Thanks. I won't expect much, but I'm going to try it anyway just incase. If it does work it will be great and if not I don't honestly have much else to do, so it won't be that bad. I'll post here if it does work.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Good luck. Oh, and in my first line that should be "listen to Bob", but I guest Bob is on everyone's list anyway. Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
I think Lorayne's book (with Lucas) may have (literally) changed my life. I checked it out of the library when I was 10 or so during the summer reading program, and I gobbled it up. The reason I think it changed me is that while I don't do obviously use everything in it, I became enlightenly aware that the brain was a tool that could be developed (vs being born with a talent or not). I have been developing my own mnemonics ever since, and I credit my memory for being the main factor in any success I have had in school or my career as an educator.

I think reading that book literally made my brain work better, which allowed me to learn other things...and other things, etc. If you can find Dominic O'brien's book, that is a good one too. I keep both paperbacks with me always nearby in my house, if for only a reminder...:o)
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Jerry Lucas had nothing to do with the book except allowing his name to be used as a co-author. Everything in the book is Lorayne's.

I had the same experience, though, with his earlier book, "How to Develop a Super Power Memory," which is actually a bit better and more comprehensive than "The Memory Book" IMO.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I'll look at those also.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I bought the super power memory book and would recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their memory. In fact I tried to explain it over Skype to my 84 year old mother , who for years has been worried that she would get Alzheimer's disease. Within two weeks she was recalling a list ofv20 objects with no problem.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
I've got a copy of 'How to Develop a Super-Power Memory' by Harry Lorayne. Agree with Mr Cassidy - far more indepth than 'The Memory Book'

Helped both my mother and a friend who had a head injury, using the techniques in that book. Both saw almost immediate improvements. Likle George1953, a fortnight was all it took to get up to speed Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I bought the 'How To Develop A Super-Power Memory' book when I was in jounior high, and my grades went to straight A's.
I purchased 'The Memory Book' when ot came out, but preferred the former.
When I came back to the States in 1991, I got Harry's memory course via his infomercial.
This had a book and a group of cassestte tapes, I loved this even more than the books.

My problem now is the medication I'm on affects my short term memory. Smile

Tony
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I too have problems since I had a stroke a few years back. My short and long term memory are fine, but I have trouble with numbers. The peg system which I used OK now for some reason I can't get my head around it, another strange thing is that I like to be looking at whoever I'm talking to, answering the phone is something I avoid at all costs, I have no idea why this should be ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
I've been a fan of Harry Lorayne's systems for many years. It saved my bacon all through medical school, and I still use is to this very day!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
As powerful as the memory system that Lorayne teaches is (and this goes for O'Brien and anyone else's system as well), I haven't found that they can compensate for physical damage to the brain as one might endure as part of a stroke (for instance).

And while there are certainly some differences between the various Lorayne memory books, I believe any of them would provide enough training for learning a magazine test.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I have many testimonials from people who've had/have brain injuries, strokes, etc., who've applied my systems and some tell me that their memories are better now than before the injury/stroke! One of those (Bob Norland) can be seen/heard if you go to harrylorayne.com, and click on "Testimonials." Best - Harry L. (PS: Interesting to me that some here think my very first book on the subject (HTDSPM; 1956) is better than the one I wrote in 1973 (TMB). I don't particularly agree (I wrote much better in 1973 than I did in 1955) but, hey, so long as they help people obtain "a better than photographic memory"!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

In my case, Harry, it's probably because I read HTDSPM first and was using everything I learned there well before the Memory Book came out. Also, I didn't particularly care for Jerry Lucas getting half the credit for your work.

Good thoughts,

Bob

PS- And I think I learned as much about writing from you as I did about memory! IMO you are among the best writers in the business.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I think Bob nailed it. ^

I have the audiobook, Ageless Memory, which is what I am currently working though.

I love reading Harry"s writing, but I feel the enthusiasm from him when I listen to him speaking on the topic.
It is contageous and motivates me.

Tony
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
This system (the original, not Harry's) seems to be complete hogwash. But there are a few people with genuine eidetic memories. My brother had one through his late childhood and early teens. He lost it eventually. We first realised his gift while lost on a family holiday in the French city of Lyon. As my father cursed and swore, David got out of the car, walked over to a map, stared at it for a few moments, then got back into the car. Then he just called out left, right, forward until we had got through the city centre, out the other side, and onto the right road. Years later he recorded the highest score in the country in the final state exams after high school.

Like most here I found How to Develop a Superpower Memory the best of Harry's output. And still the best memory book out there. Though the work of Dominic O'Brien comes a close second. And his people are from County Clare, Ireland, which is a plus.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I own Harry' book but for the life of me I can't remember where I put it.

J
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:
Thanks. I won't expect much, but I'm going to try it anyway just incase. If it does work it will be great and if not I don't honestly have much else to do, so it won't be that bad. I'll post here if it does work.

So do you see some improvements ?
Do your best and forget the rest
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory training (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL