The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Appearing cane - Help needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin Reinertz
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Martin Reinertz
Hey, quite a while ago I purchased a metal appearing cane (brass colored). However, I have never managed to perform the effect well.

Basically, my problem is that when other people do it (like Oz in the video from Penguin Magic) it looks like they actually manage to grab the cane right in the middle when it's produced, which gives the production a very convincing look. When I try to do it though, I can simply grab it at the end and let it shoot straight out - which does not look nice at all.

What am I doing wrong? How can I improve my handling? Any suggestions welcome.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Martin,
Practice, confidence, eliminate fear!

Hold the unit in your dominant hand. Release the catch. Now, while the cane will appear perpendicular to the floor. Release the cane - slightly - then re-grab. The cane will appear, and you will be holding the center. It less then a second, relax - tighten you hand.

I did it only after the second try.

Bill
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Martin:

Yes, there is a knack to learning how to do, although it took me more than two times to learn to do it. It's a timing thing that you'll learn after practicing for a while.

Once you've released the catch, it's almost as if you let go of the cane for a split second. The top and bottom both shoot out in opposite directions, and then you re-grab it.

Don't give up - just practice and you'll get it. It's really not that hard.

Ron
Martin Reinertz
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Martin Reinertz
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!

I just tried the "letting go of the cane for a split second"-part and it really works! I stood there in my living room, holding the cane right at its center... competely amazed at myself.

Thanks so much!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Congratulations!!! I knew you could do it.

Bill
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
You could also just toss the cane into the air and catch it.

Ray
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Remember there are more ways to use an appearing cane than in a straight visual appearance! Yes, it is a timing thing and a bit of knack. Glad it worked out for you.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Here is a little production idea for the cane you might like to try.

Have a cane attached to a red silk in your Table/Case.
Produce a red silk however you wish. Now bring the red silk into your table for a second as though you are going to flip it over the edge of your table for display. Once the red silk is in the table let go and then flip the other red silk (the one attached to the cane) over the edge of your table. To the audience it will look as though you produced a red silk and then flipped it over the edge of your table, however when you are ready to produce your cane you already have it loaded on the silk for a nice silk to cane.
This is to be used in the context of a full routine so that the switch goes by without detection.
Hope you can use it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Appearing cane - Help needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL