The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading: Ian Rowland or Docc Hilford? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
conrad3000
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of conrad3000
I'm looking to pick up a good, impromptu cold reading technique. Does anyone have a preference for Ian Rowland's Full Facts book of Cold Reading or Docc Hilford's system 88?
Or does anyone recommend something else entirely that is also affordable? Thanks.
'
- Ryan
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Impromptu cold reading.......

Explain what you mean by impromptu cold reading? I ask because of your two selections that you want our opinion on.....

What is impromptu cold reading to you because I get a good feeling you are a little confused in it's meaning.

Ray
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2128 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I publish a (free) collection of cold reading resources that you might find of value.

Cold reading is, by definition, impromptu (that's why it's "cold").
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
For the record, these are 2 completely different things. As Ray says though, I think your a little confused as to what cold reading actually is.

System 88 is a good place to start. Full Facts is a book of techniques that can be useful, but a system is preferred when beginning.

Hope this helps.

Matthew
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
I'd suggest 'Quick and Easy Cold Reading by Richard Webster; its reasonably priced, a flexible system, and structured so the reading you give has a proper beginning, middle and end.
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Doug's resources on deceptionary are very good. Craig Browning also has a free PDF giving advice on how to get started on readings. It has a good list of resources, although more has come out since it was published it is still very useful.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/craig-browning/......796.html
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
915 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Learn a real oracle, Richard Webster's books are a great way to start with that.
Reader discretion is advised.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, GothicBen wrote:
I'd suggest 'Quick and Easy Cold Reading by Richard Webster; its reasonably priced, a flexible system, and structured so the reading you give has a proper beginning, middle and end.

This 1000 times. Get it, absorb it, go out and do it.

Mix in your own observations about and experiences of life and you'll have all you need for brief impromptu readings.
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
182 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, GothicBen wrote:

My big ditto to this
& with the addendum of Doug's resource page above, complimented with his 'Cold Front' "a study tool... designed to be used in stand-alone fashion, or studied in conjunction with Mr. Webster’s original text, which provides a variety of additional supporting material.designed to speed this critical element of the learning process."

This would be a package to travel or study on the fly to maximize your time and efforts.
Good luck,
Larry
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
What do you want to do with it?

If you want to do readings, then you should learn an oracle. The above mentioned Richard Webster is good in that it uses palm reading as the oracle. Ron Martin's book is also good. When you use an oracle, you don't need to cold read (though you can), just read what the palm, cards, numbers.

If, on the other hand, you want to be able to tell people about themselves like Sherlock Holmes or Patrick Jane, Passages by Gail Sheehy is a great place to start. Pick up a book like The Writer's Guide to Character Traits and learn it and apply it to the people you want to read. It has personality profiles and psychological studies on different types of people.
conrad3000
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of conrad3000
By impromptu, I mean without props, oracle and the like. Appearing to read people.

I am looking for a system.
- Ryan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18574 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, conrad3000 wrote:
By impromptu, I mean without props, oracle and the like. Appearing to read people.

you are confusing the terms I think...

you can give tarot readings without using a physical tarot for example...
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Quote:

Then why did you mention System 88? This has cards, tick sheet, table and what ever else you need to make it look,cool.

Why wouldn't you want to learn an oracle?

You are after phases that can be said to anyone. Is this what you are really after? Simple, easy and no fuss. The easy way....... Yes?

Best
Ray
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Learn a physical oracle and you will then develop the skills without. It will teach you the areas that interest people, the language and give a structure to a reading while learning.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5944 Posts

Profile of george1953
If you are looking for a system two of the most popular are tarot cards and reading palms. You should consider both and see which feels right for you.
A search here on the Café will give you plenty of suggestions for resources on both systems.unfortunately until you have 50 posts you don't have access to the secret sections where you will get more help. It won't really take long to get to the required number of posts, good luck with whichever system you decide on.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Can anyone speak to the difference/similarities between Cold Front and the flash cards that are included in Bev's Speed Learning Palm Reading (I think that's the name of this product).
conrad3000
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of conrad3000
I didn't know System 88 used cards. Thanks for the info. And thanks all for the suggestions. I have much to look at. I have thought about the James Bond course as well.

Ryan
- Ryan
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Quote:
I didn't know System 88 used cards. Thanks for the info. And thanks all for the suggestions. I have much to look at. I have thought about the James Bond course as well.

Ryan

Not playing cards, cards to write on.....billets....

Ray
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

[quote]On Jul 6, 2014, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Quote:

Ryan

Not playing cards, blank cards or paper to write on.....billets....

For what you want, the James Bond reading is exactly what you need...... Get it and enjoy.

Ray
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
System 88 uses a tick sheet, this is totally customizable and can be as large or as small as you wish.
You don't even have to use a physical tick sheet, but it is nice to give away something with your contact infirmation and serves as a reminder of the experience you gave.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading: Ian Rowland or Docc Hilford? (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL