The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » What is the best TNR (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicHelp
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MagicHelp
I would like to add a good TNR to my repertoire but I don't want to have to keep buying new cards. Is there one that doesn't actually tear cards but is still visual.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Why worry about the expense of buying new cards?

Just use all of the cash you make doing your new effect using the convincing control I told you about!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
So buy used cards, but really $0.06 to do a effect isn't bad. You might be able to get it cheaper. I used $3 for a pack.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
MagicHelp, Andy and Kabbalah have given you excellent advice. If you are going to perform TNR, your audience HAS to see something being torn. I would never rip my Tallys so for TNR effects I either use worn out decks or, I hit the ol' Dollar Store where I can buy 10 packs of card for a dollar. Also, if you are on a budget, buy a few packs of lower priced cards like Aviators or Mavericks.

And that said, I would advise picking up John Lovick's Reparation. It looks as good as Guy Hollingworth's Restoration but is easier to master. It still requires study and I hasten to add that my suggestion is personal preference. But, Reparation is a well thought out and well structured approach to a great card magic plot.

Best,
Vlad

PS: I never judge a magician's experience by the amount of posts she or he has on The Café. Some of the most knowledgeable magicans on here have very few posts. But, if I may ask, how long have you been studying card magic? What would you assess your skill level and knowledge to be? Knowing these things would help us to help you. Smile
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Dani DaOrtiz has a really really easy TnR effect which he often does within a signed card routine.
He teaches it on his Utopia DVDs. There is a whole TnR-Section on the DVDs, where he teaches other effects with torn cards as well.
MagicHelp
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MagicHelp
Vlad I have been studying magic for around 3 years . I never got a MagicCafe account until recently because I never really needed one.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Torched & Restored by Brent Braun.
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, nonvpro wrote:
Torched & Restored by Brent Braun.

This is a great version but you still have to rip up a card each time you do it.
RayChance
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of RayChance
Reformation - Guy Hollingworth though your problem still exists.
Use old cards Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I can think of at least one method that is the opposite of what you ask. The card is ripped, but not really restored...but can still be given away to the spectator as a keepsake and they won't know. Ray is right, the best TnR I've ever seen is Hollingworth's Reformation. Very visual, very difficult.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Albo card is an excellent TnR effect. Check out Ammarmagic.com.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I think it's also know as Backward in time. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Yep, you're right.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
I would have to agree with vlad_77 for purchasing packs of cards from the dollar store or using worn out packs of cards . I personally use worn packs of cards to perform my TnR effects . One pack can easily perform 52 TnR effects which is a lot to me.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
My favorite TnR effect would have to be Aftershock by Justin Miller . It's fast ,clean,and super visual .
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I love Daniel Garcia's Torn. (the first one, not torn 2). So visual. Looks like real magic.
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Heinstein's Dream by Karl Hein
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Nothing, NOTHING- comes close to actually tearing a card right in the specs face and restoring it. Torn is my favorite, and I can do it over 4 dozen times for about $2.00! One of the least expensive effects there is...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
My all-time favorite torn-and-restored card effect is the one published I think in _The Card Magic of LePaul_ as "An Impromptu Torn and Restored Card" where a freely chosen card is torn into four pieces. One piece is handed to a spectator. The other three pieces are vanished. Then the deck is riffled and the chosen card pops up out of the deck so that it is out-jogged. When it is removed, it is seen to have a torn corner that perfectly matches the corner held by the spectator. The way the card pops up when the deck is riffled is a surprising and magical effect!

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Arabian tricker
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arabian tricker
Buy The One Way Force Deck , best refill for TnR
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » What is the best TNR (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL