The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Base for Roll On Table: How to make one (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Hey everybody,

I'm working on making a pretty standard roll on table. The table top I can easily make and also make it to fit my needs perfectly. The problem I have come across is how do I make a base? I would want to make one that is a single metal tube down from the middle of the table, then splits into four "arcs" which each one has a wheel on. I think this is a very ordinary design so I think you know what I am talking about.

Also, I have heard of using a metal flange and attaching the male end to the bottom of the table top, then making a base which has a female end on it which screws into place. This way, you can make more table tops and all you have to do it attach a male end flange to it and you can solidly connect it to your base.

Do they make a base like this I could get at a place like, lets say Home Depot? Or is there a different website, which sells these? (Preferably non-magic related since I believe a magic site would charge a TON for one).

Any ideas would be a wealth of help. Thanks,

Evan
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
A Flange you can pick up in the plumbing dept I beleive. usally where they sell the pipes their not very much or you could have like a whole table. Don,
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Most of the bases for the type of table you are describing come from the restaurant business. Check restaurant supplier and you'll likely find several to choose from, although they are still pretty costly.

If you don't need something really heavy duty and you don't mind a base without caster, Viking Manufacturing makes an excellent, light-weight aluminum base.

I just checked out the site and they also have a heavier duty base. Here's the link for the standard base: http://www.vikingmagic.com/cgi-bin/dc.pl......tml=full
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
Hmm that looks pretty nice.
Might also check out some sites like Musiciams Friend
http://www.musiciansfriend.com
Check the stage and PA equipment.
Some of the stands used for PA speakers are pretty heavy duty and reasonably priced when on sale.
Another site
http://www.samash.com

Worth a shot I guess.
Hope it helps
Nick Zender
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Thanks for the links guys. I have found some ideas from restaurant stores, thanks Mike.

I still would like to know a few other places where I could find one WITH casters though instead of a tripod-type stand.

Any other ideas?

Thanks - Evan
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Take a look at the base of your office chair.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Evan,

I'm not sure how much you want to spend but Chalet Magic sells a terrific table base. It's just like you described. It costs $125.

I couldn't find a picture of the base itself, but here's a Chalet Silk to Rabbit with the same base: http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=005124

You can buy it directly from Chalet. (www.chaletmagic.com)
I used to have a Chalet-built Laflin Table, which also uses the same base and believe me, it's rock solid.

Michael
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Salazar took the words out of my fingers...

Check out anyone that sells second hand office supplies. Many times they purchase a whole office of equiment and this includes chairs that are not good for sitting in but the base is ok.

I have made several stands out of these with PVC painted with chrome paint for the upright and a quarter inch hard board for the top. They look nice and cost about $10.00.

Kent
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Thanks a TON for the ideas and links guys.

Evan
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-01-18 19:57, Evan Williams wrote:
I still would like to know a few other places where I could find one WITH casters though instead of a tripod-type stand.

If you can find a tripod type stand in which the ends of the tripod are tubular and either perpendicular to the ground or flat and parallel to it, you can add casters to it.

There are casters made which can be inserted into tubing and others which can be bolted on to flat surfaces. There is a very good reason that tripods are so common and popular. A tripod will sit steadily on any surface as long as the center of gravity falls within the triangle described by the feet of the tripod. Four-legged stands are much more difficult to stabilize.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Cymbal stand
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Base for Roll On Table: How to make one (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL