The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Teenager's Point of View Reviews (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Oh and one more thing. 3.7K on a site may not seem like much to some but it is amazing when some of my favourite creators send me emails through the contact form about how much they like the site. My goal in life is to create and perform magic, that's all I want to do. It's great getting supported by people and also getting critisized as well, which can somemtimes be a blessing. Overall negative comments don't upset me, they make me strive to work harder. You will be seeing a lot of me throughout the magic community as I get older. I hope you all stay with me through this journey. As for changing site builder - it is working fine right now.

Anyway, I am off to school
Thanks guys!!!!
James
ireviewmagic.weebly.com
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
James-

I like your style. You remind me a lot me me fifty years ago.

Good thoughts,

Bob
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
James-

I like your style. You remind me a lot me me fifty years ago.

Good thoughts,

Bob


Thanks Bob,
That means a lot - I loved your Penguin lecture!!!
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
658 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2014, James Conti wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
James-

I like your style. You remind me a lot me me fifty years ago.

Good thoughts,

Bob


Thanks Bob,
That means a lot - I loved your Penguin lecture!!!


You're right on track if you are like Bob Cassidy 50 years ago…

I like your reviews! Keep them coming. Smile

Zack Johnston
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Will do Zack Smile
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
Genie Gene
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Genie Gene
For what it's worth, I also believe a move to wordpress is solid advice for reasons already mentioned here. You can start on wordpress.com for free and take your database with you when/if you decide to get a new host. Nice job on the reviews keep it up!
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2014, Genie Gene wrote:
For what it's worth, I also believe a move to wordpress is solid advice for reasons already mentioned here. You can start on wordpress.com for free and take your database with you when/if you decide to get a new host. Nice job on the reviews keep it up!


I will look into it Smile glad you like the reviews
James
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Just wondering, has anyone found any technical issues within the website or found any typos or grammar issues?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated Smile
James
ireviewmagic.weebly.com
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Good news guys! The site is finally in it's completely finished state and is now easy to find the reviews YOU want to read! Feel free to read through the review catalogue and have a look. I would love some feedback! I would like to thank everyone who has stuck with me through the first few months. Also, check back regularly as I am posting a few reviews every few days!!!

Here is the link - http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com/product-reviews.html

Enjoy!!!!!
James
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Because you specifically asked for feedback on grammar and typos, I took a look. Here is a sample paragraph from your review of "The Imaginary Ball" with corrections added in bold and deletions in curly brackets:

This is kind of confusing so I will try to explain the effect. You introduce a non-existent, invisible ball. You then have the spectator close their eyes (or even wear a blindfold), and put out their hands. You drop the imaginary ball into their hands and they close their hands exactly as if the imaginary ball had{would have} hit it {if it were real}.

All in all, not bad though. I've edited much worse from other magicians.
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2014, writeall wrote:
Because you specifically asked for feedback on grammar and typos, I took a look. Here is a sample paragraph from your review of "The Imaginary Ball" with corrections added in bold and deletions in curly brackets:

This is kind of confusing so I will try to explain the effect. You introduce a non-existent, invisible ball. You then have the spectator close their eyes (or even wear a blindfold), and put out their hands. You drop the imaginary ball into their hands and they close their hands exactly as if the imaginary ball had{would have} hit it {if it were real}.

All in all, not bad though. I've edited much worse from other magicians.


Hey!
Thank you so much for your time and helping me out. I really appreciate it. I will try fix that by the end of the day.
I hope you enjoy the site,
James
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2988 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
"Teenager's Point of View Reviews" - funny, I thought Craig Petty had that covered on WPR.

Good luck with your site, James. As a side benefit, the exercise in articulating why you think certain effects and routines work better than others may help you discover your own philosophy of magic performance.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2014, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
"Teenager's Point of View Reviews" - funny, I thought Craig Petty had that covered on WPR.

Good luck with your site, James. As a side benefit, the exercise in articulating why you think certain effects and routines work better than others may help you discover your own philosophy of magic performance.


Hey Smile that's a really good point. Thank you for checking out my site. Also what happened on the Wizard Product Review? I only started watching it around 8 months ago, what have I missed from Craig?
Many thanks,
James
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2014, writeall wrote:
Because you specifically asked for feedback on grammar and typos, I took a look. Here is a sample paragraph from your review of "The Imaginary Ball" with corrections added in bold and deletions in curly brackets:

This is kind of confusing so I will try to explain the effect. You introduce a non-existent, invisible ball. You then have the spectator close their eyes (or even wear a blindfold), and put out their hands. You drop the imaginary ball into their hands and they close their hands exactly as if the imaginary ball had{would have} hit it {if it were real}.

All in all, not bad though. I've edited much worse from other magicians.


I agree. It's not bad at all. But there is another common error that I also have made on occasion:

"You have the spectator close their eyes (or even wear a blindfold)."

"Spectator" is singular. "Their" is plural. The sentence should read "You have the spectator chose his eyes...

(Or "her eyes," or "his/her eyes") "Their eyes" is only correct if there is more than one participant involved.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2988 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

I agree. It's not bad at all. But there is another common error that I also have made on occasion:

"You have the spectator close their eyes (or even wear a blindfold)."

"Spectator" is singular. "Their" is plural. The sentence should read "You have the spectator chose his eyes...

(Or "her eyes," or "his/her eyes") "Their eyes" is only correct if there is more than one participant involved.


I think that particular use of "their" has gained currency recently as an effort to avoid gender specification (sexist!) and the truly clunky "his/her." If we had a gender neutral third person singular pronoun - as some languages do - in English without the dehumanizing connotation of "its," then we'd probably be using that instead. It used to be understood that "his" could serve as an all-purpose, gender-neutral default, but that went out in the 1960's when the paternalistic assumptions of that default were challenged. Remember when the collective totality of homosapiens could be referred to as "man" or "mankind" without causing offense?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I solved the problem in my own writing simply by saying up front if the participant is a man or a woman.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2988 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
That's one way to do it, but it's also a rather deliberate way of compensating for a failure of the English language. It shouldn't be necessary to specify gender when we're really just referring to a generic human being. Which is why I think there's a rational basis for allowing the use of "their" in the singular. Evolution of the language to fill a need, and all of that.

OK, back to this young man's review website (sorry)...

James, if you really want to get accolades from the senior magicians (and as a percentage, a lot of magicians are "senior," as you know if you go to magic club meetings), try occasionally dipping into some older material from books or pamphlets, and show how you can sell it to a modern audience with an updated presentation, sort of like what Dan Harlan is doing with the Tarbell books on Penguin. They'll love ya. Even if you only do that 20% of the time, and spend the other 80% on the latest and greatest, it will give you a reputation of seriousness that will set you apart from your peers.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
professorwho
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of professorwho
One thing that springs to mind is that it would be good to have an update of the reviews once you have been performing the effects you review for a few months so you can say whether your first impressions were accurate. Sometimes something that seems to be wonderful at first turns out to be not so good when out in the real world.
I love sponges
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, professorwho wrote:
One thing that springs to mind is that it would be good to have an update of the reviews once you have been performing the effects you review for a few months so you can say whether your first impressions were accurate. Sometimes something that seems to be wonderful at first turns out to be not so good when out in the real world.


Good point. I was thinking about that before and I really should start doing that. I appreciate your feedback.

And to everyone else, thank you for all the suggestions and debate about my grammar. I always try my best and will fix those issues. Just remember I am still only in year nine. But I appreciate all the support and advice, it really means a lot. I hope you enjoy the site, despite he occasional grammar mishap.

Best wishes,
James
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I enjoy your reviews, James. But I don't see why you have to call them "Teenager's Point of View." They stand on their own merit regardless of your age. I'd just call them "James Conti's Magic Reviews." (That way you can keep some continuity after you turn twenty-one and you won't be inadvertently limiting your audience to teenagers.)

IMO, one of the greatest magic books ever written is Henry Hay's "The Amateur Magicians Handbook." But I observed when I used to work in a magic shop, that many refused to buy it because of the word "amateur" in the title- and that wasn't even Hay's fault since the book was released as part of a series of "Amateur Handbooks" on ham radio, carpentry, photography, etc. If it was called "Hay's Handbook of Magic," I believe it would have had a lot more readers.

And if you drop "teenager" from the title, I think your reviews will have a lot more readers as well.

Not to derail this any further with the grammar thing, but I don't agree with Maxfield that "his or her" sounds clunky at all. It is simply correct when the subject is singular.

See: https://www.uwgb.edu/writingcenter/handbook/TheirHisHer.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Teenager's Point of View Reviews (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL