The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Sewing pockets to liner of suit jacket (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
I've done some basic sewing in the past, and am getting a sewing machine. I don't want to go to a seamstress, as I want to learn to do these types of things myself.

I am going to sew several utility pockets to the inside of my suit jacket. These are just to hold small props, TT, rings, coins, etc.

Can a sewing machine do that kind of stitching to the liner of a jacket, or would it go straight through to the outside? Does this need to be sewn by hand?

Thank you any help.
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The stitching would go thru the jacket. Alternatives would be to sew to the inner ling by hand, or separate the inner lining from the jacket and sew the pockets with your machine. You would then have to re-attach the lining by sewing by hand unless the stitching goes thru to the outside, where liner meets outside material. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
Okay, gotcha. Thanks for the info. Saves me the trial and error guesswork.
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It's not like taking clothes to a seamtress is expensive. Besides, I'd rather spare my jackets from damage and have someone work on it who has years of daily experience.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Try safety pinning or basting (sewing with large removable stitches, often in a contrasting color for easy removal) patch pockets into your coat first to check placement.

You can use any old cloth for this testing. You are just trying to establish size and placement.

Try reaching for the items you need and see if the pockets are too deep or at the wrong angle or if things fall out of them if you move, you know, beta test 'em.

I know it's a hassle but it can save a ton of trouble over sewing them in the wrong place.

If you have a friend who is needing the same project, two heads are better than one (and four hands will help too).

Good luck.

-Mary Mowder
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Hand sewing.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
421 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Here is a Sport Coat that may save you some stitching, its got 23 pockets:

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/SeV-S......pd_video
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Tazbo,
Have you actually worn one of those coats? What are they made of? How is the quality and does it "wear" well? Just looking for your opinion.
Thanks
B
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are book on sewing cloths, when I started sewing my own pockets, I purchased a book by Singer. It helps to have the pictures and illustrations.
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
421 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2015, Blaine G wrote:
Tazbo,
Have you actually worn one of those coats? What are they made of? How is the quality and does it "wear" well? Just looking for your opinion.
Thanks
B

Hi Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have just received one of these sports jackets.
http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/SeV-S......pd_video

There are many pockets but one in particular is an iPad pocket on the left inside of the jacket. It measures 18 inch along the bottom hem from the button section of the jacket. the pocket height from the bottom hem is 15 inches.
I believe this could easily be converted into a Michael Ammar type topit or similar without too much work.
One thing I noticed is that there are no traditional inside breast pockets in the jacket but it does have 2 inside pen slots on each side of the jacket.
If anyone wants more information on this, just ask.
Kind regards
JoshRyan
View Profile
Regular user
Kitchener, ON, Canda
123 Posts

Profile of JoshRyan
I think sewing is such a useful skill to have as a magician ... thanks grade 7 home economics class
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I would only sew pockets in for loads, not storage. It seems that you would want to appear to be reaching into the actual jacket's pockets to pull something out. Just a thought.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Sewing pockets to liner of suit jacket (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL