The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A little help, please! (On the border) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I always depend on Chow Chilla Patriot for my news.

:)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Fwiw, I snuck through your northern border today. The northern attack as it were.

Smile

On my way to Santa Barbara even now. Plan to catch the footie game in an Isla Vista pub tomorrow, then sign me up for some of them free benefits on Monday.

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2014, balducci wrote:
I always depend on Chow Chilla Patriot for my news.

:)

Uhhhh yeah...or ABC News affiliates, in case you couldn't tell from the OP:: http://www.10news.com/news/video-shows-o......11262013

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2014, balducci wrote:
Fwiw, I snuck through your northern border today. The northern attack as it were.

Smile

On my way to Santa Barbara even now. Plan to catch the footie game in an Isla Vista pub tomorrow, then sign me up for some of them free benefits on Monday.

Smile

Thanks for the quick reply...I can check one off of my "Gee, what's the problem?" list already. We've been expecting you.

MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I went to college at UC Santa Barbara. While in Isla Vista, be sure to grab a burrito at [url=http://www.cantinaiv.com/]The Cantina[/u]. The owner, Sherri, is the de facto adoptive mother of nearly half of the student population of UCSB for the past 20 some odd years. And for good reason.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Thanks, I may try that for brekky or lunch tomorrow. I need a pub in Isla Vista where I can watch football tomorrow. Any ideas, preferably in the same area as The Cantina (or anyway close to UCSB since I have to meet someone there soon after the game ends)?
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

No ideas in particular... it's been a good 15 years since I've been to Santa Barbara, and I'm sure that has changed. But for what it's worth, I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to find a place. Strange as it sounds, there weren't too many (if any?) proper pubs in Isla Vista while I was there. Most of that scene was in down town Santa Barbara, on State Street. But there are plenty of places that serve the same purpose as a pub. Woody's Pizza comes to mind, if it's still there. They have all the right ingredients: beer, plenty of seats, and a few TVs.

Lame as it sounds, they will probably also be showing it on campus, at the UCen. Although it's a far cry from a pub, they DO serve beer in the food court.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

If it's not too late, I just remembered a late-night spot in Santa Barbara that was one of my favorite places to hang out: Mercury Lounge (map).

It's tough to describe this place. It's a bar, but to say it's a bar misses a lot of the point. It has a very relaxed atmosphere, with the right mix of bar seating, tables, couches, etc. There never really was much a crowd when I was in Santa Barbara. It's not that the Mercury was a hidden gem -- but it was known to just the right amount and mix of people. It's never dead, but never crowded. There's always music, but never too loud. There is a TV or two, but it's not a sports bar. It's just... it's like Nirvana. And they're open 'till 2:00am, which is something of an unfortunate rarity in Santa Barbara.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I may be able to drop in Mercury Lounge later in the week.

I tried a chicken cantina burrito at The Cantina today ... pretty good, especially considering that I am not a burrito or Mexican food fan.

Spent a couple of hours walking through Isla Vista to UCSB and then along the beach. Made it all the way to the Beachside Bar Café in Goleta which was quite nice. As I had eaten a big burrito a couple of hours before, I just had a couple of drinks and watched most of the footie on the big screen. The food menu looked pretty good, though. If I have time, I may be back there in the next couple of days.

Now just cooling down until a late afternoon reception and dinner I should attend.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply...I can check one off of my "Gee, what's the problem?" list already. We've been expecting you.

Lobo, all I ask is that you just pay your taxes promptly so I can receive my free benefits on time. Healthcare, foodstamps, all the good stuff.

Smile

FWIW I am only visiting because (1) some private organisation is paying me 50% above my costs to do so, (2) Santa Barbara seems like a nice enough place for me to visit at least once in my lifetime (especially when I am not paying), and (3) coincidentally I have some relatives (U.S. born and raised) passing through here later in the week so we can all meet up for a day or two.

Smile

Regarding your comment and the video, yes I suppose I do not quite see what the problem is. It was filmed last Sunday? Some organized protest? It seems it was being filmed for some purpose, but at the moment no one (on your side) knows why? It's not like it was a serious threat to your national security, though, was it?

Clearly they were not really trying to break through. If they wanted entry into the States, surely they would have taken a different less secured route of entry.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, balducci wrote:
I may be able to drop in Mercury Lounge later in the week.

I tried a chicken cantina burrito at The Cantina today ... pretty good, especially considering that I am not a burrito or Mexican food fan.

Spent a couple of hours walking through Isla Vista to UCSB and then along the beach. Made it all the way to the Beachside Bar Café in Goleta which was quite nice. As I had eaten a big burrito a couple of hours before, I just had a couple of drinks and watched most of the footie on the big screen. The food menu looked pretty good, though. If I have time, I may be back there in the next couple of days.

Now just cooling down until a late afternoon reception and dinner I should attend.

Excellent, bringing back fond memories as I do my best to live vicariously through you.

I didn't realize how good I had it at UCSB. If you can believe it, I basically had my head in one math book or another virtually the entire time I was there. I literally never set foot in the ocean, not even up to my ankles. (And not for some kind of fear of the ocean. Just liked math.) Wasted youth...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Seriously? You had time to hang out at The Cantina and Mercury Lounge and NEVER even dipped a toe in the ocean? Where were your priorities? How about that Rudin, though, eh?

Saw the Study Hall this afternoon. It looks bigger in the pictures online, unless there is a backroom or downstairs I missed.

And I stopped in at Hollister's brewpub this evening. But I think that appeared on the local scene since you were a student.

Along the walk there I noticed that a new ice rink is being developed in the area. I was amused at that.

And just to keep sort of on topic with the OP ... Also on the walk there I stopped in at The Home Depot to see if it had something I needed. I was amused to notice that the aisle signs there were in both English and Spanish.

Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, balducci wrote:
Seriously? You had time to hang out at The Cantina and Mercury Lounge and NEVER even dipped a toe in the ocean? Where were your priorities? How about that Rudin, though, eh?

Saw the Study Hall this afternoon. It looks bigger in the pictures online, unless there is a backroom or downstairs I missed.

And I stopped in at Hollister's brewpub this evening. But I think that appeared on the local scene since you were a student.

Along the walk there I noticed that a new ice rink is being developed in the area. I was amused at that.

And just to keep sort of on topic with the OP ... Also on the walk there I stopped in at The Home Depot to see if it had something I needed. I was amused to notice that the aisle signs there were in both English and Spanish.

Smile

Many Americans speak Spanish primarily or exclusively...not too unusual. I wonder if the new rink will have curling?!?!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/us/21r......all&_r=0

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"I wonder if the new rink will have curling?!?!"

I don't know, but it looks like this has been in the works for years now.

http://www.independent.com/news/2010/mar......reality/

The official website suggests that the project may have even been moved from Goleta, where I saw the vacant site and sign, to Santa Barbara:

http://www.iceinparadise.com/

(Unless the address on the website is just a corporate mailing address for the project in Goleta.)
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Many Americans speak Spanish primarily or exclusively...not too unusual. I wonder if the new rink will have curling?!?!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/us/21r......all&_r=0

What does that (rather old) link have to do with what I mentioned?

Or with curling?

Smile
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, balducci wrote:

You spake the magic word! Maybe you can identify (commiserate? sympathise?) with my mathematical obsession. In fact, one book or another of the Rudin trilogy accompanied me a lot of the time I spent at either the Cantina or Mercury. I used to LOVE studying at Mercury.

Where were my priorities? Clearly messed up -- with a downright hedonistic obsession with math. (But don't get the wrong idea. Although it's not sounding like it, I really DID have friends. I'm pretty confident they weren't imaginary either.)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's not at all unusual around here- in fact it's pretty common- to see signs in both English and Spanish. We are a multilingual nation, after all.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
So your saying... It's not unusual?

And it happens everyday?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You got it! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A little help, please! (On the border) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL