The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Meeting of the minds (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
So a whole load of the best mentalists in the UK and Europe come to my home town, shepherded by Michael Murray (no relation Smile ).
For one day only, lectures from: Michael, Mark Elsdon, Ben Cardall, Colin (Mac) Cloud, Atlas Brookings, Pete Turner and Luke Jermay.
Not too shabby, eh?

So what happened? Well no one did a hard sell. Everyone showed something new/never discussed before.
And every single one of them amazed a group of people who, between us, knew every previously documented trick/principle/effect and made us feel like laymen again. And above everything else, feeling like a layman again was the best bit.
Well, almost....

Michael opened with his brilliant no gimmick principles that can be used to add to any effect - springboard, CUPS, are two principles that have already been adopted by the top names.
Mark was his usual amazing self, adding to equivoque above and beyond what we already know. The only disappointment was him giving no firm date to his book on the subject.
Mark's use of nonevoque was a revelation: confused? I'm not telli! You should have been there!

Ben Cardall was staggering at the start if his set. Some great tips and tricks, to be fair, he then got a bit of the Heeby jeebies, which was a pity as he'd already secreted the love and respect of us all. His "deductionist" framing is fun and playful. And with the Gatiss "Sherlock" in the Emmy's I think this is going to be a great avenue for framing a performance

Colin Cloud started his set by being awarded. PEA award: not a bad way to kick off really. Colin was fab: really classical effects brought up to date. Amazing, engaging, and 100%, just using pen and paper. Basically he gave away his close up act, as he no longer needs it it seems! A joy to watch and even better to have presented to the audience.

Atlas.
Oh my.
I have two of his manuscripts, and you know? I dismissed the train tracking thing as a bit of hype, not for me.
1 hour later I was scurrying off to the ATM to secure a copy.
And then today, I mentally removed "The Prodigal" from my mental bottom draw....
The man was awesome. And I don't mean American ""Aw-sum", I mean awe inspiring. The next big thing. That turning point in the history of peoples mentalism. A pivotal piece.
The hype? Believe my friends. I'm sorry I doubted.
Every single person with half a brain and a passing interest in mentalism will find a way to present Mr Brookings works: at home, at work, in the bar, out with old friends, or even in front of 100 UK mentalists. This is the stuff. Watching Atlas was a revelation; seeing and meeting him was the bridge between reading a manuscript and then realising what I actually had in my hands. His "old" stuff (The prodigal, the real thing) slayed. Train tracking took me to new impossibilities. Atlas sir, I salute you!

Nex up was a new guy called Pete Turnip. He was ok, but a bit disappointing. You see, he is just a real psychic, and so you can't really learn that. And a great story teller. I don't think Michael should book the real thing - I only like tricksters. Also, he made me cry a little bit with his stories. He made me question stuff. It wasn't easy listening. ,I'm sure he will find a niche for this...

Luke Jermay, like Colin, did classical mentalism, but with "layers" (as he terms it)). So like the effect we all know is like the plate the cake is on. The. You've got the cake. Then the icing . Then the cherry. And then Marilyn Monroe leaping out.
Turns out Marilyn was overheard on her phone.
Can't describe the wonderment. The pacing, the energy of Luke make the whole. Again, I felt n the presence of a true psychic. It just flowed, and made me feel like a layman again.it was so BiG. "More than the sum of its parts" is how Luke seems to work at all levels.

Ok, so I know I'm gushing, but honestly, I don't usually. I think I was lucky enough to come to a meeting that was unique. An alignment of the stars, if you will. In every sense.
Oh my, the future of mentalism is in great hands. I was privileged to be there.
I will remember that day for the rest of mine.
Smile
[
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
That's a group I want to have a beer with.

Next year I think Michael Murray should get you all to come to Orlando, FL or Fort Lauderdale. I'll buy the beer.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
I live in Newcastle too. It is a fantastic place for anyone to live if they have an interest in magic/mentalism.
We have Magicbox and the rapidly rising phenomenon that is Michael Murray (aka Celebrity in the Café)

We already have the South Tyneside International Magic Festival (STIMF) convention just over the river in March each year but on Saturday we had this new event with a stunning line-up of world class mentalists. Docsteve has already given a review of the lectures.

This event was so good that Michael Murray already has world class performers knocking on the door and wanting to be part of next year's event.

'Meeting of the Minds' started on Friday night with a gathering at a local function room where we were entertained by Mark Elsdon doing a stand-up comedy routine. Let's just say he did his routine 'by the book.'
Then we had Tom Binns and his comedy psychic act as Ian D Montfort. Absolutely hilarious. (I think you can catch his performances on YouTube.)

The lectures took place in the historic lecture theatre of the Mining Institute. Lecturers performing 'in the round' surrounded by hundreds of old photographs of past presidents of the Mining institute on the walls. The place has a certain atmosphere and great acoustics. I am sure the old presidents were highly entertained as well. Lunch was in the old-worlde library with it stained glass windows and hundreds of book shelves and reading areas.

I learnt a lot on the day. Took a lot of notes and, as a bonus, each lecturer also contributed an original piece that appears in the free book that we each received.

I also pre-ordered Train Tracking and picked up my copy on Saturday. This is BIG and powerful stuff. The demo of train tracking by Atlas during his lecture was just jaw-dropping.

Cant wait for next year's event !
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Sounds like it was great. But there are two things that are potentially a bit misleading- First, the Meeting of the Minds is the name of the annual PEA convention and has been called that for over thirty years. This year it was held in Baltimore in the last week of June. Second, Colin's award was presented there. My guess is that he merely announced that fact at the English event.

The original post, by combining these two elements, gives the impression that it was a PEA function. It was not.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
You are absolutely correct. I think the clash of names was noted at a very late stage in the planning of this event and I am sure there was no intention to deceive anyone. The UK event was renamed to MINDS.

The PEA award trophy was handed to Colin at this event in Newcastle in front of many of his peers in the UK.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9522 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Sounds like it was great. But there are two things that are potentially a bit misleading- First, the Meeting of the Minds is the name of the annual PEA convention and has been called that for over thirty years. This year it was held in Baltimore in the last week of June. Second, Colin's award was presented there. My guess is that he merely announced that fact at the English event.

The original post, by combining these two elements, gives the impression that it was a PEA function. It was not.

This was exactly what I was thinking too when I read about this. I know this has been addressed with another person who was interested in planning another mentalism convention with many of the same names being involved. Both Bob and myself addressed this with them. While he claims he had no idea, it now seems like this name is intentionally being used to gain credibility for something that is new and doesn't yet exist.

The PEA has members worldwide and of course it's name and awards are used and recognized worldwide. This is very misleading and not right.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I think Michael changed the name early on to MINDS as soon as he realised.

Colin was presented with an award that looked like a glass ball on a plinth but I didn't catch who it was from. I do remember the guy that presented it saying it was an American award and Colin was the first English person to get it.

It was a fantastic day, great fun and all credit to Michael Murray for organising it so well.

And when Atlas did Train Tracking, the revelation was a real shocker to everyone in the room.

Best,
Sean
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yes- that would have been a crystal ball on a stand. The PEA logo is inside the crystal. It was the PEA David Lederman Award for Creativity in Mentalism. Colin is the first from England to receive that particular award.

The complete list of all PEA award winners can be seen at: http://www.p-e-a.org/awards.html

Colin's award was well deserved and he has our congratulations.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Ah yes, thanks Bob, you've reminded me of a moments confusion I had at the event... When Colin was handed the award I thought the presenter said it was the David Letterman award! I thought that was a bit strange and maybe a joke but I obviously misheard!

Best
Sean
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Sean, I'm really sorry we never got to chat.
There were so many people I would have liked to talk to, but the day was so crammed with stuff there was little time left for hanging out.

Next time.

And as for the name thing. I'm pretty sure Michael wasn't trying to use it to "gain credibility."
Once this meet was announced, with its fantastic line up, it would have sold out even if he'd called it "Some Blokes Having A Chat And A Curry"

steve
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Likewise Steve. I spotted you about halfway through (doing the photography) but you were constantly surrounded and in conversation 😄 Next time I hope we can find time for a chat.

BTW are you going to be publishing your photos anywhere? I'd love to see them.

Best
Sean
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
Looking forward to 'even more blokes chatting and eating curry' again next year. I'll bring poppadoms.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I just uploaded them to the PC back at the studio.
So I'll find a way to get them online for people over the next couple of days.

I never normally share my pictures online so not sure what's the best option.
Piccasa, Vimeo ?

Any tips appreciated.

steve
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1576 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Bob and Mindpro, when this event was being pieced together I gave it a name that I thought was unique. Two of the members invited who are members of the PEA quickly pointed out this oversight and the name was quickly changed to "MINDS".

I emailed an update to everyone detailing the name change and reason for this and all of the promotion on the day listed the new name.

As someone who not only invited PEA members as delegates but also had a PEA member as a performer it would have been foolish to do this for promotional purposes. On top of this I had hoped to join the PEA myself but realise that my oversight on this matter may have jeopardised this opportunity Smile

I'm truly saddened to think I have upset anyone through this.

Allow me to apologise publically for this mistake, no malice or alteririor motive was intended.

My sincere apologies are extended to all of the PEA organisers and members.

Best Wishes to all Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Michael, I think the only misunderstanding is from the OP mistakingly using the old name and from Mindpro with his conspiracy theory 😉

You Michael are one of the best and ethical beyond doubt.

Best,
Sean
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
Michael, I think the only misunderstanding is from the OP mistakingly using the old name and from Mindpro with his conspiracy theory 😉

You Michael are one of the best and ethical beyond doubt.

Best,
Sean

Absolutely correct.
And mainly because I was sitting with Roger Ferreby and talking about Meeting of the minds a lot that day.
And also mainly because I had enjoyed a bottle of red wine and the world cup final before writing.

I don't believe Michael has anything to apologise for.
I apologise to Michael for causing the initial misunderstanding.

It's ludicrous to suggest he could be cashing in on the PEA's name.

Steve
[
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1320 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Was lovely seeing you there Steve Smile

I never got a chance to talk to you about the balloon!! I loved that.

Oh and I haven't been called Pete Turnip since I was a kid, you horror Smile

Thanks for coming everyone x

P.s Michael I am sure everyone that knows you would know you would never do anything like that intentionally you are too much of a nice guy. x
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I hope it's clear that I wasn't suggesting that anyone had done anything wrong. I was just trying to clear up a potential misunderstanding arising out of the thread title and the mention in the OP of a PEA award. (As a PEA founder I can be very protective of our organization.)

Good thoughts,

Bob

PS: Wish I'd been able to attend
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, celebrity wrote:
Bob and Mindpro, when this event was being pieced together I gave it a name that I thought was unique. Two of the members invited who are members of the PEA quickly pointed out this oversight and the name was quickly changed to "MINDS".

I emailed an update to everyone detailing the name change and reason for this and all of the promotion on the day listed the new name.

As someone who not only invited PEA members as delegates but also had a PEA member as a performer it would have been foolish to do this for promotional purposes. On top of this I had hoped to join the PEA myself but realise that my oversight on this matter may have jeopardised this opportunity Smile

I'm truly saddened to think I have upset anyone through this.

Allow me to apologise publically for this mistake, no malice or alteririor motive was intended.

My sincere apologies are extended to all of the PEA organisers and members.

Best Wishes to all Michael

No problem Michael. I doubt very much that this would have any bearing on your admission to the PEA should you decide to apply. I totally accept that this was an honest mistake that was corrected. I was simply reacting to the title of this thread. The OP obviously forgot about the name change.

Good thoughts,

Bob
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3049 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Look forward to be there next year Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Meeting of the minds (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL