The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do we think about? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Wow! Amazing read. Thank you for that!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
As an aside: That 10,000 hr estimate, In my view, is a "very" conservative estimate. You are not going to "master" the piano in 5 years practicing 5-1/2 hours per day. You'll be good if you practice the "right way" but you won't have it mastered. Plus his idea that innate talent has nothing to do with a person's ability to assimilate information is incorrect in my experience as well. Some brains are wired to do certain things than others.

Something to consider is a lot of us aren't consciously aware of exactly "what" we are mastering over that 10,000-hour period. "Perfect" practice makes perfect... or at least critical/focused practice. I try to remind myself of this often.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
All true. As to whether or not it is a "myth," ask the Beatles.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Exactly, you ain't learning songwriting like Lennon and McCartney no matter how many classes you take!

I was writing my comment while Iain was posting his link... I think this supports what I was saying!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17829 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
All true. As to whether or not it is a "myth," ask the Beatles.

they did it Eight Days a Week...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Seriously, though,there's no doubt that you haven't mastered something until you can do it in your sleep. Only when the necessary work and script become hardwired into your brain and hands, will you be able to effectively improvise and create on the fly.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Had to post this... my nephew (Ringo's left) the other night up at Santa Barbara before the show...

Click here to view attached image.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
And to prove it's not the hours, here is my 2nd painting EVER in my life!

I drew like a 5yr old that can't draw until I read a line in a book that just clicked! I painted this a month after that. Never drew or painted before!....

This is a 30x40 of "The Gleaners" by Millet.

Click here to view attached image.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17829 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I first started to play the guitar when I was 13, didn't stop playing it every day til I was in my mid-twenties...then sold off everything in my early 30s...past year or two I've drifted back, and this week I treated myself to a nice resonator...i've found my style of playing completely different, my techniques have changed, as have my strengths and weaknesses... really enjoying it again... sometimes a break from the things you enjoy doing can make a big positive change...

the muscle memory is still there, going through the pentatonics and so on, but the way I now use them is entirely different...no real point to this post other than "hey! I bought a new guitar!" its very pretty...
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
En Joy!
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, IAIN wrote:
"hey! I bought a new guitar!" its very pretty...

Congratulations! Play it in good health...

Best,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17829 Posts

Profile of IAIN
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

A resonator! Love it.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Very cool...
'Curiouser and curiouser."
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
And to prove it's not the hours, here is my 2nd painting EVER in my life!

I drew like a 5yr old that can't draw until I read a line in a book that just clicked! I painted this a month after that. Never drew or painted before!....

This is a 30x40 of "The Gleaners" by Millet.

Amazing! Excellent work.
Interested to know the line you read in the book...
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2014, edwardsausagefingers wrote:

Amazing! Excellent work.
Interested to know the line you read in the book...

Thanks for the nice comments. I PMd you.
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
273 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
Thanks for the correction Bob I knew it was worthwhile but didn't know the exact source. Great refresher to read this a few times a year. Great Guitar Iain, I have a Fender Resonator as well, which is my second favorite guitar.

Well back to the practicing part only 9500 hours left to go.
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I think Pablo hit the nail in the head. I think a distribution channel such as Amazon.com is perfectly fine for mentalists. My hypothesis is that our secrets would only be bought by those who are genuinely interested in learning the art form. I'm not sure why someone would spend their hard-earned dollars on Amazon (or any other retailer) on something that meant nothing to them.

Simply, our worry should not be Amazon. It should be on YouTube (and other) exposure that impairs the viability and sustainability of our field by giving away our secrets for free to those who could care less about our art.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, Amirá wrote:
Offering magic/mentalism secrets on public spaces has obviously different ethical points of view, but whats the difference of this and read magic books on a local lybrary? Or a open magic shop?
I don't see myself buying a book in modern dance arts because I don't have interest in learning those topics. Normal persons thinks the same.

Some close persons, relatives and friends knows that I publish material for other performers, but they don't buy it.

We are in a digital era where information moves quickly and open. I still believe that our secrets are safe.

Best
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17337 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2014, insight wrote:
I think Pablo hit the nail in the head. I think a distribution channel such as Amazon.com is perfectly fine for mentalists. My hypothesis is that our secrets would only be bought by those who are genuinely interested in learning the art form. I'm not sure why someone would spend their hard-earned dollars on Amazon (or any other retailer) on something that meant nothing to them.

Simply, our worry should not be Amazon. It should be on YouTube (and other) exposure that impairs the viability and sustainability of our field by giving away our secrets for free to those who could care less about our art.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, Amirá wrote:
Offering magic/mentalism secrets on public spaces has obviously different ethical points of view, but whats the difference of this and read magic books on a local lybrary? Or a open magic shop?
I don't see myself buying a book in modern dance arts because I don't have interest in learning those topics. Normal persons thinks the same.

Some close persons, relatives and friends knows that I publish material for other performers, but they don't buy it.

We are in a digital era where information moves quickly and open. I still believe that our secrets are safe.

Best

I agree with Mike .. It's this giving secrets away on Youtube that really upsets me ... especially when they do it under the guise of protecting you from scams.

Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
It's not a thousand performances we were talking about. The discussion was about Malcolm Gladwell's conclusion that it takes TEN thousand HOURS of practice to truly master something. See: http://www.wisdomgroup.com/blog/10000-hours-of-practice/

I have sang/sung the song Soul Man over 11,000 times in public performances since 1989 ..... I don't sing it that much better now than then ... HOWEVER .....There is nothing like repetition to help with muscle memory and control. Genetics only goes so far.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Davidzajac
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Davidzajac
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Mentalism is being cheapened, trivialised and vulgarised like never before. Our secrets are hawked around in public, years of hard work is stolen and dumped on torrent files and pros have their a*us pixilated on TV in an attempt to pass the first round of a tawdry, amateur talent contest.

If this is evolution, take me back to the primitive days of Berglas and Chan Canasta. They had more theatre and mystique in their little fingers than most of the new breed of mentalists.i

Yeah sounds good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do we think about? (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL