The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do we think about? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11512 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
Everything in life boils down to perspective. No perspective is right. No perspective is wrong.

Doesn't it though depend on your perspective?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The Forgotten One-

Of course we're talking about mentalism. This is, after all, a forum about mentalism
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
Everything in life boils down to perspective. No perspective is right. No perspective is wrong.

Doesn't it though depend on your perspective?

Hmm, your post makes me wonder, "What if there were no hypothetical questions?"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, Syndrome wrote:
If I may...I would suggest that the most fundamental asset to our craft has become a lot better...our storytelling abilities have become exceptional since Wonder Words arrived.

Some people's story telling abilities have probably gotten better. Others have gotten worse. But, sorry to say, story-telling, though fundamental in magic and bizarre magic is not, and has never been, the "the most fundamental asset" of mentalism.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

Some people's story telling abilities have probably gotten better. Others have gotten worse. But, sorry to say, story-telling, though fundamental in magic and bizarre magic is not, and has never been, the "the most fundamental asset" of mentalism.

How so?
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Simple. Mentalists generally do NOT do storytelling.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

How so?

Here's an idea, pick up his book, The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, Volume 2 and read the section on "Fundamentals."
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Thank you for the suggestion. I certainly will. Perhaps my understanding of storytelling is flawed.

Wikipedia: Storytelling is the conveying of events in words, and images, often by improvisation or embellishment. Stories or narratives have been shared in every culture as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation, and instilling moral values. Crucial elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters, and narrative point of view.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
It's not that your understanding of storytelling is flawed, it's your assertion that storytelling is the most fundamental asset to mentalism that is.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Oh, okay. Can you say what the most fundamental asset to mentalism is then? I'm here to learn.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Again- your definition of storytelling is correct. But the fact remains that very few mentalists do it, so it is hardly fundamental to the art.

We write scripts. But scripts are hardly ever "stories," in the sense that most people understand the word.

But, yes, we do use words. And the words we use and the way we use them is very important and could be considered fundamental.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
... I'm here to learn.

If you really mean this then I highly recommend you pick up the book... The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, Volume 2
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Syndrome, pick up one other thing while you're over there. "Mental Miracles" by Bob Cassidy. These are some of THE BEST effects you'll find in mentalism!
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Sandsjr:

I think I bought that DVD 10+ years ago. Have to check in the basement abyss...yep, got it. I haven't watched it since I bought it. Looking at it, I imagine I've got the 2002 release. Will watch it again tonight.

A little background: I've just recently returned to performing. I took about 10 years off. Performed very little in the last 10 years, but never lost interest. 2 months ago I started to dust off the synapses and build up a show. I've done a few days of performing at the mall and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Started reading up here at the Café recently and have pulled out a few books again to get the juices flowing. I'm grateful for the advice and direction from all the members and look forward to contributing to the craft.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Do it up Syndrome. Good luck!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2946 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Get Cassidy's Billet Killers download while you're at it. I can't stop watching his first b***** s*****. It is a work of art.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Thanks!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
273 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
I don't honestly believe anybody but teenagers, and people with inferiority complexes really want to know how mentalism or magic is really accomplished. It is simply the first words that come to their mind, "Wow how did you do that." and other such comments. I have asked if they really wanted to know, they usually say, that they don't. The bad ones, felt like I was trying to trick them, these one have the inferiority complexes.

99% of time people just enjoy the performance, I try to teach them a simple bar bet type thing, and they are more than happy when I show that I am not trying to trick or fool them.

Practice your performance and perform as often as you can. I am also guilty of the not performing enough. I am only 125 or so performances into performing a 1000 times or more, that is when you can consider yourself an almost seasoned performer. Well that is what I heard at one of the lectures at Mind-Vention last year.

Just my 35 cents.
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

It's not a thousand performances we were talking about. The discussion was about Malcolm Gladwell's conclusion that it takes TEN thousand HOURS of practice to truly master something. See: http://www.wisdomgroup.com/blog/10000-hours-of-practice/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17910 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do we think about? (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL