The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finding magic shops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I don't know of any magic shops in my area. It's a real dead-end town - Jasper, Alabama. But there are several big cities surrounding it, and I was wondering, is there any search on the 'net to find magic shops? I realize I can order stuff easier online, but I'd like to go in and see some tricks demonstrated, maybe show the owner a trick or two, you know, it's just not the same ordering something online as going into an actual store. I've actually never seen the inside of a magic shop. If I could find one, I might could work there. I tried the online yellow pages, but they want you to pick the type of business, and I couldn't find "magic shop" anywhere. I typed in "magic shop" and "novelty shop" and it was always rejected. Does anybody know of a search to find magic shops or maybe just anyone else on here from Alabama know of any magic shops in the state?
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
I'm not sure if this will help but http://www.linkingpage.com/ has a directory of magic shops in North America. Click the dealers link, then go to the FAQ section 4 link.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Thank you very much, Kernel.
Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The "Magic Shop" is slowly becoming a thing of the past...The internet is partly to blame. Here in Fort Myers, Florida, we lost one of the best...right on the beach, Don's Magic & Fun Shop...

Don Hillebrands was (is) one of the best people I've ever met in the business. He sold the shop to someone, but it quickly went under. That, plus the Sarasota-Bradenton shop closing, pretty much spelled the end of magic shops in this part of Florida.

Then, just recently, a shop opened in South Ft Myers, and is now closed! I mean mere MONTHS...gone. I never even got to see the inside of the place...I drove 18 miles down U.S. 41 to the shop one Friday, around 11am, and found a sign on the door, "Back at 2pm"...

That was it...

Now I understand there are others going belly-up, due to the insurgence of on-line "shops" that are giving incredible discounts, and are supposedly selling inferior product. I have not ordered from those places, but am constantly reading about disappointed buyers.

This is a sad time for those who are just getting into magic, as there are very few "Brick & Mortar", magic shops left. I miss Boston, as Hank Lee is still going strong. That's a REAL magic shop!

New York City had Flosso-Hornmann, with good ol' Al Flosso, the man who gave me insight into the workings of the Cups & Balls, and would not let me leave with the set until I could prove to him that I could perform the simplest of routines...that is now a museum, of sorts...Tannen's is still there...another real Magic Shop...

There used to be Abracadabra in Rahway NJ, and it was a biggie, but I never got to see it...

But the closing of Don's was devastating to the local IBM/SAM folks here.

I miss the good old Magic Shop...you could really go away with the feeling you got what you paid for...WITH personal instruction. You could see tricks performed before you buy, and the demonstrators KNEW their craft. The thing I really liked about Don, was he could perform ANY trick he sold. I wonder where he went and how he's doing?

Doug
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
I'm fortunate enough to live where we still have a real magic shop, Eagle Magic, in downtown Minneapolis. I've discovered that, as others have said, online ordering can be cheaper, but there is just something about talking to the owner and having him demo the trick for you that can't be replicated online.

Jeremiah
ByranNewell
View Profile
New user
Huntington Beach, CA
29 Posts

Profile of ByranNewell
I forget which magazine has it listed, but it's either Genii or Magic, and I believe it's the latter. There is a listing in the back of the mag that has all the places where the magazine is sold. That's a start. Second: Is there an I.B.M (International Brotherhood of Magicians) ring in your area? Local magi probably know where to find a magic shop. Or call up S.A.M. (Society of American Magicians).

Hope that helps.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Looks like there are a couple of magic shops in the Atlanta area (Decatur & Kennesaw). There are also a couple in Memphis, Tennessee and one other in Chattanooga, Tennessee. No shops in Mississippi or Alabama. These are the shops that are listed in MAGIC magazine. Those are probably your best bets to start.

Good luck,
Steven
Coram Deo
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Look thru the "Linking Ring" magazine. Join the I.B.M. just for this cuz it's worth it! They have a lot of ads from magic shops all over the country.

Also check in the Yellow pages (or the online Yellow Pages) in your area for "Magic dealers" or even "Joke Shops" (Don't understand the last one myself but it is a regional term for magic shop.)

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Serling307,

You lucky rascal you! You live in Alabama! Me too!

First, I want to invite you to Ring 35 meetings in Homewood (Birmingham) on the first Tuesday night each month at the library at 7 PM.

ring35.org

Secondly, you can go out on the Internet to

allmagicguide.com

for magic dealers, products, prices, etc. (It is not a substitute for The Magic Café. You still need to talk to someone who owns one of whatever it is you are spending for. Besides that, we are so good looking! If you've been looking at coal miners, you need a break.)

And third, contact me. I'll keep you in all kinds of magic trouble. It's my job!

Sweet Home Alabama!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JEFFC
View Profile
New user
RI
70 Posts

Profile of JEFFC
I tried superpages.com and had good luck. I didn't get good results with yellowpages.com.
sfx
View Profile
New user
South Africa
12 Posts

Profile of sfx
Hi All,

Talk about living in the back of beyond. I live in a city called Nelspruit which is near the Kruger National Park in South Africa. I am the only magician in the area , which is great. unfortunately all my ordering has to be done via the net or fom the Magic Shop in Cape Town. The nearest bricks 'n mortar studio is about 400km's away and magic shops in this country don't have a partucularly good rep.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Quote:
On 2004-01-26 19:51, Steven Steele wrote:
These are the shops that are listed in MAGIC magazine.

But those are just the stores that sell Magic. For example, Frankel's in Houston is not listed because they no longer sell Magic magazine.

It is a start however
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
huggie50
View Profile
Regular user
North Las Vegas
109 Posts

Profile of huggie50
Go to the Magic Dealers Association @www.magicdealer.com
They list all good dealers.
Magically yours,
Huggie
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
If you ever venture through Little Rock, AR, you HAVE to stop by Mr. Magic and Novelties. It's one of the largest magic stores in the country. I think at last count, Jim had over 8000 items in the store. He has a small section on clown and vent stuff, but the other stuff is magic. I call it my second home!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
partymagic
View Profile
New user
Ft. Myers, FL
1 Post

Profile of partymagic
[quote]On 2004-01-20 07:54, Dougini wrote:

Then, just recently, a shop opened in South Ft Myers, and is now closed! I mean mere MONTHS...gone. I never even got to see the inside of the place...I drove 18 miles down U.S. 41 to the shop one Friday, around 11am, and found a sign on the door, "Back at 2pm"...

That was it...

We actually are still around!!! You can find us in a kiosk just outside Spencer's in the Edison Mall!!! Drop by and see us!!!
Kenny & Lori
www.magicalmania.com
maniac
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga
65 Posts

Profile of maniac
Quote:
On 2004-01-26 19:51, Steven Steele wrote:
Looks like there are a couple of magic shops in the Atlanta area (Decatur & Kennesaw). There are also a couple in Memphis, Tennessee and one other in Chattanooga, Tennessee. No shops in Mississippi or Alabama. These are the shops that are listed in MAGIC magazine. Those are probably your best bets to start.

Good luck,
Steven

The ones here in Atlanta don't make it just selling magic, one is also a costume shop. The other has a stage and party area they sell magic birthday partys, also saturday nite magic shows to promote business.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they would make it just selling magic (what a shame).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finding magic shops (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL