The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis Q & A (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
I am committed enough to learning it. I have spent well into the $500 on books, and home study courses. Just hard to beleive it is as simple as it appears to be
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
Thanks Anthony
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Danny.

These effects, and the 'reality is plastic' book were my route from magician to hypnotist.
I no longer rely on outs, I have seen the light and can now use hypnosis in its purest forms to achieve some amazing results. These effects gave me the confidence I needed.

I do however have a life on both sides of the fence and some days I perform magic, some days I am a hypnotist.

There is no great dividing line for me. The common factor is 'entertainment'

<end of>
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
Exactly my point Gordon and exactly what I am looking to get out of these beginner effects in hypnosis even just suggestibility tests are great confidence boosters
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody says don't be a magician. Where did I say that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
Nobody said you did danny
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9582 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
You are looking for a magic trick that looks like hypnosis. Searching in the hypnosis section is pointless.

Quote:
On Jul 15, 2014, TravisNye wrote:
I am committed enough to learning it. I have spent well into the $500 on books, and home study courses. Just hard to beleive it is as simple as it appears to be

Seems there are two things being sought here, linked by an observation or perspective that may be incorrect or counter-productive.

As for mind eraser, it is not hypnosis and only resembles hypnosis with it's pattern interrupt. Their video is quite deceiving. It likely has less than a 50% success rate, yet it is not shown or addressed in the demo. They likely had to shoot 50, 60 or more attempts to get the few successful outcomes. This is not they type of material any serious performer would want in their performance as is more than inconsistent and quite unfavorable to the performer.

If it's actual hypnosis you're interested in I have found that any magic performance or skills typically works against you more than not. I would much rather training someone with no magic or other skills at all from scratch rather than a magician, DJ or other types of "performers."

I do think many over simplify the process of learning and performing hypnosis. Books, dvds and even some trainers would like to make it seem easy and practically effortless to learn, perform or apply. There's much more to it than that. Magicians are among those in my opinion that use this over-simplistic approach and belief, greatly impart to the way they approach hypnosis and also by the way hypnosis has been marketed and targeted to hypnotists, DJs and comedians.

You're not going to learn much by reading books and DVDs (while some have most don't), but rather by proper and formal training in a personal or perhaps small group, hands-on setting or tutoring.
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
Yes I am getting training from a local certified hypnotist who is in my SAM group
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
I agree, books and tricks are second class compared to real hands-on training.
However that sort of training can be very expensive so most people just have to take the plunge and jump in.
Sure there will be failures and lots of lessons to learn but the best advice advise is 'just do it'
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9582 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree that reading, dvds and research are great starting points and preparation for actual live training. It's a way to start the educational process until one can be financially positioned for live training. But just because someone is a certified hypnotist and in a SAM group does not in any way mean they are your best choice from which to learn hypnosis. There are thousands of certified hypnotists that run full-time clinics and operations daily, that I would not recommend or waste my time with to learn performance hypnosis. As I said, there is much more to it than it appears.

Personally I would immediately question a SAM member to even consider teaching me hypnosis rather than approaching it as someone credible. Same for just anyone from the National Guild too. Some of the worst hypnotists I've ever seem have been part of each of these groups. Remember, anyone can be a member of either, and being a member doesn't mean they have instant credibility.
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
The convenience factor of having a local person who is also a friend who performs stage hypnosis on a weekly basis ranks high on my scale of where to get my training. Like I said he is a good friend so the fee for learning is very reasonable. Anyone who has experience can tech it no matter how good you are its up to the person learning to better themselves from experience.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not all teachers are the same. The idea that anyone can do it is ludicrous. Just a silly statement. So is just do it.

All that being said having hands on a guy who works weekly teaching you is in my view probably better than any book or dvd or even live course you can imagine. Watching and talking about the shows will be incredibly valuable.

One thing I would suggest. Forget getting information here. Let him teach you his way, don't cloud the issue. Don't get confused with other opinions till you have enough knowledge. It will make your learning much easier. You have a pretty good way to do this may as well make it as easy as possible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
I 100 percent agree with Danny that you should be very careful about listening to other opinions if you are studying with one particular person. It can actually interfere with your studies because opinions often conflict and it can confuse you because without experience you don't know who to believe. However, I also agree with Mindpro that you have to be very careful who your mentor is in the first place and be REALLY sure that he is someone with the relevant experience and knowledge to guide you. If you have the right guy then you have a priceless resource. If you have the wrong guy you can waste a lot of time and retard your progress. You will have to use your own judgement regarding this and it sounds like you have.

On a personal note I learned it all from a book! Not necessarily the best plan but luckily for me personally it worked!
Wyld2006
View Profile
New user
If only I was clever enough to come up with something witty to back up my...
41 Posts

Profile of Wyld2006
Travis have you checked out "Hypnosis Installed"? You mentioned a few times, "It's hard to believe it is just that simple". It took me a long time to figure out that, it in fact is (and it isn’t too, but that’s a longer conversation). I kept looking for that one book, or DVD that held the secret. It isn’t out there. Hypnosis Installed by Jonathan Chase really taught me what was important. It's simply to "Be the Hypnotist". As long as your subject believes you can do what you say, and what you say fits a pattern similar to what they expect, you will have success. Once I realized there is no one single way to hypnotize someone, I had more guts to try things with people, and there has been no greater teacher than experience.
I also learned a lot from Anthony Jaquin's "The Trilby Connection" and "The Manchurian Approach". I am still waiting for him to release "Reality is Plastic" as an audio book! (Please Anthony?)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Forget all that. Listen to your teacher!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Forget all that. Listen to your teacher!

Agreed.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
208 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Hi Travis, bet you're confused now? I speed read the threads and I know I am. Of course I agree with Wyld about Hypnosis Installed but have to declare an interest.

The thing is all verbal misdirection works on a similar principal to hypnosis. That is engage the imagination, or subconscious or whatever word we use to describe the non conscious process. However that isn't what the vast majority of people are doing. The so called 'Phenomena' is basically down to persuading the victim to agree that something happened when it didn't. And as for stealing memory or creating amnesia, well that in most cases isn't what's going on. Mostly all you have to do is film flam the brain with enough gobbledygook to create confusion, once confused ask a question like what their name is repeatedly and, here's the real secret, whatever you do do Not give them time to think. Do that for fifteen seconds, that's long enough to convince even some hypnotists that the phenomena has occurred and then tell them the name has returned. Do this fast enough and it looks like hypnosis in the same way that a reel thread can look like real prestidigitation.

The fifteen seconds is important, the confusion is real hard to keep going longer than that as the brain figures it all out.

Then claim in a definite and authoritative voice that 'amnesia' occurred, especially if you are selling the routine ;-£ Most people will believe you because they are as confused as the victim was.

Now in real hypnosis of course you can tell the person they will not be able to remember their name, or change it for a different name which is harder and way more convincing. You can then do other stuff, lecture, do a trick with someone else, have a dance, and when you come back the name is still lost or changed. And will remain so for as long as it does, certainly for an evening, my record is 36 hours, then it stopped being funny.

So to recap, confusion will get an apparent phenomena, hypnosis will get a real one. The results are the same as having a quick burger or a five course fine dinning meal. The first leaves the audience and victim wondering what happened, the second leaves no doubt at all.

As for teaching Hypnosis if they can't teach you everything you need to know in a hour long Skype call or a 40 minute video then they don't know what you need to know. In my opinion of course, but I do hour long a Skype calls so what do I know.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
JonChase this was very refreshing having someone answer a question I posted instead of people bashing hypnotist vs magicians idea of the amnesia effect and what hypnosis is. I am looking to do the real thing. I have purchased Hypnosis installed and while the video itself doesn't give any straight forward training it is surprisingly forward when watching others do the inductions. It also clarified that it is as simple as it says it is is many books I have read. I may reach out to you if I have any more questions. Since I have purchased hypnosis installed I was successfully able to hypnotize my wife however once she was under hypnosis I did not know where to go from there so it was more of a therapy relaxation session which I feel was best since my wife is afraid to be hypnotized lol. It left her feeling really calm, relaxed and happy hopefully I can get her to volunteer again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis Q & A (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL