The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What Supernatural films or any film fill you with emotion? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Again, (and knowing many of you here were probabby born after this film) I recommend the cassic, gothic film by Ingmar Bergman, 1958 "The Magician". Not the TV show with Bill Bixby!(And I know subtitled films, as this is in Swedish,are an anathema to young folks these days, but it is worth it for the period styling, theme, mystery and creepiness of the gothic genre presented)
Here is a link to check out an excerpt, although not the best one representative of the film unfortunately.

Http://www.criterion.com/films/27521-the-magician

There also is a better and longer review by Bowie if you Google the film title,
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Ooops, sorry, not Bowie. The brief trailer and review of the 1958 Bergman classic, "The Magician", is by film critic, Peter Cowie;
Www.Youtube.com/watch? V=YDOzeEh5d7c
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, Eddie Garland wrote:
Local Hero...makes me crazy homesick.

...Yes it is supernatural...it has a real Mermaid...and Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who.

And a great soundtrack by Mark Knopfler. Smile

My choice: "Jacob's Ladder"

"Jacob's Ladder" awesome film Mind Guerrilla fantastic twist at the ending.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Fire Starter wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, Eddie Garland wrote:
Local Hero...makes me crazy homesick.

...Yes it is supernatural...it has a real Mermaid...and Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who.

And a great soundtrack by Mark Knopfler. Smile

My choice: "Jacob's Ladder"

"Jacob's Ladder" awesome film Mind Guerrilla fantastic twist at the ending.

Another good one THE JACKET a 2005 psychological thriller film directed by John Maybury ,a man is bound in a straitjacket and then placed inside a morgue drawer and experience's extra-corporeal time-travel.
phil_n
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
28 Posts

Profile of phil_n
The Book Thief - not supernatural although it is narrated by Death
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I gave a copy of ET to a friends kid as a gift about 12 years ago. I asked him later what his kid thought of it. He said "honestly man, it scared the **** outta him" I was shocked as I remembered it being such a tear jerker. He reminded me that when I saw it there were happy meals featuring ET and toys and commercials etc. When his kid saw it it was just a creepy alien hiding in a little girls dolls at one point etc. I never really thought about how much those things influence perception. That experience definitely made me become more aware of the manner in which something is presented and how the elements around it can alter perception.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
ZoOpDoG, that is really fascinating. Who would ever have imagined ET frightening anyone? Yet, it does make sense. I would also guess that there are dozens of similar displaced "Hollywoodonian" examples of perception vs. reality.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I took a first date to see ET, I was holding back tears and she showed no emotional signs. (why I remembered,Her!)
Her comment was something like this " It's just some ugly alien creature ".

I think she could eat her, young ! lol
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
You gotta stop dating sociopaths G Smile
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
@Brynmore14..." If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with " lol

(Julie Newmar, Cher, Elvira, Marsha Brady, were always somewhere else at the time !) Smile
And, Yes they were older !

I always wanted a 'Cougar' ... Then, NOT NOW ! LOL
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Well, not so many, to speak the truth...I can be interested, amused etc. but 'filled with emotions' is rare.
However :
As for moving me I'd say The Elephant Man, The Circus ( Chaplin ), The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, Kotch.
As for conveyed "sense of wonder", I find the '66 Fantastic Voyage unbeatable.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Elephant Man had me bawling. Barber's Adagio for Strings played in the background of any death scene will bring on the water works.

Everyone in Spooky should watch this film. It's Lynch's masterpiece in my opinion, and has his signature touches all over the place...steam, fogged glass, the hum of machinery...the circus scenes are especially disturbing. Hopkin's face when he first sees Merrick is priceless. It's worth watching just for that.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Yes ! The Elephant Man, was touching. Smile

Not sure why this one did not come to mind, until just now.

"Somewhere in Time", starring Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve, from 1980 .
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Yessss! Also gets me every time even though it's corny as h*ll. Jane Seymour is always easy to look at though. Dang.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I am I the middle of watching Hugo, and it is vibrating my heart strings. My wife saw this ages ago, but I missed it.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I have also thought of two of my all time favourite movies that have strong magical themes,Excalibur and Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Louis Cypher
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of Louis Cypher
Ooh "something wicked" what a great film.

Not film, but I remember "puff the magic dragon" being played on the radio as a small child and being totally wreaked by it, unfortunately my mum had just told me that "if you listen carefully, some songs tell a story". Well she wasn't wrong, It still gets me all these years later. Soppy sod Smile
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Polanski's "Ninth Gate" filled me with emotions. The two main ones being intense rage and bitter disappointment.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I thought it was ok, but haven't read the book, so nothing to compare it to.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
I thought it was ok, but haven't read the book, so nothing to compare it to.

I recommend you read the book. It is soooooo much better than the film. They stripped out a very significant strand of plot when making the film, which diminished the intrigue and impact for me. It also meant the film made less sense. And I thought the art direction was more "Murder She Wrote" than "Rosemary's Baby", which pretty much turned me off. Oh, and the ending was really, really sh*t and strayed absurdly and inexplicably far from the book.

In some ways I can't blame Polanski for ballsing it up. The novel is basically about an unsympathetic anti-hero traveling around, talking to people about books and solving a cerebral puzzle - not the easiest thing to turn into a silver screen smash. But it didn't stop me being angry and disappointed.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What Supernatural films or any film fill you with emotion? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL