The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to maximize the impact of this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I found a "mental magic" routine that sounds like it would play well in my mentalism show. My premise is that there is a flow that connects the thoughts and actions of all of us, and I'll show you how to tap into that. Caveats here: I've done a few mentalism effects here and there, but never a full show with this premise. And I've never presented this actual routine to anyone.

Two sets of identical cards - could be playing cards, Zener cards, anything like that. It was written up with five-card sets, but I think I would be more comfortable with four. After showing the card sets as identical, I can hand thme to a volunteer and never touch them again. The stacks are mixed and then the two top cards removed as a pair. Continue mixing and removing until you're at the last two cards. I can have the volunteer call to random people for advice on the mixing - move a card from the left or right stack to the bottom of that stack - so it can involve several people.

The original target was to have the last two cards as an identical match after all that random mixing and removing. Again, I don't touch them, so there's no "card moves" of any kind. And it is a match. Let that moment sink in, then remark that they may be better at this than they imagine. Reveal each of the other pairs to also be exact matches.

Of course the intent is to have the volunteer and audience helpers dropping jaws and freaking because this is so incredible!!! Um, yeah - maybe in a few decades I can get that. I can also see them turning over the cards and seeing the matches - and all they give up is "That's cool."

Is this a routine that can have a decent impact? (As I become a better performer, of course.) Or is this a routine that is destined to be nothing more than a blinker?

If it sounds like it has potential, what aspects do I need to look at to maximize the impact? I know I've got to keep the middle from dragging with the mixing and removing. But I'm also thinking of the end reveals: are the second, third, and fourth anti-climactic? How would you build this for greatest impact?

Ed
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It sounds a bit convoluted for an out come that is not a huge pay off. However, check out Zenvelopes. It sounds similar and is an excellent routine.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
This sounds very much like Larry Becker's "Will the Cards Match?", which is a very powerful close-up card/mentalism routine.

I use it frequently.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I'd love to see your version of "Will The Cards Match" I do it with Mexican Loteria cards.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I did some Google searching and it is indeed the same as "Will the Cards Match" (except I would use whole cards on stage). Where I learned it, there was no spelling, just moving cards. So it is a viable and potentially powerful effect.

Which of course does not guarentee that I can can pull it off with all its potential unleashed. The question in my mind is: is the mystery of what happened during the random mixing enough drama and tension to give the audience the most entertainment from this? I guess that will be more dependant on who I have become to them from the beginning of the performance until this time, yes? Are there any nuances to pay special attention to that a novice like myself would easily miss?

Ed
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
You might want to check Colin's DVD Opening Minds to see his stage version of this routine. It uses ESP cards and has a prediction for an ending.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thank you all for your help. I'll look into the Larry Becker and COlin McLeod resources mentioned. (Good excuse to get more learning material!!)

Ed

PS - Greg: I still use the Twisted Sister routine you posted here on the Café some time ago. Great stuff!! Thanks!!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Thanks, Ed. That routine has served me well over the years. Definitely look at Colin's version because I think it will fit what you are looking for. He especially made it so it can be a large stage item and have a prediction that is kind of used as a kicker. I believe he just calls it Will The ESP Cards Match.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to maximize the impact of this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL