The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Email Hacked (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, RedDevil wrote:
I fell victim as well. My gmail password was stolen. These guys are smart, and they probably realize that the password we use for gmail is used for facebook, apple, etc. I changed mine for every major account I have.

It’s a problem remembering different passwords for different sites, and writing them all down sort of defeats the purpose, in my opinion. Here’s a quick fix that I’ve been using for a while.

Use two common words and “faro” them together. For FaceBook (for example) you might use Candy and Crush, merged to make CCarnudsyh. The words can be mnemonically recalled by your favorite method, and look like gibberish. When I “have” to change passwords, I just make up new mnemonics.

If you want numbers there are several “self-generating” algorithms. The simplest is numerology based; take two digits and add them together, dropping the tens, and that becomes your third digit. Do the same thing with digits 2 and 3 to make a fourth, 3 and 4 to make 5, and so on. Thus a starting pair of 37 gives you 3707741561785381…..

Mix these techniques together and you have a Gmail password of A2d3d5r8e3s1s and all you have to remember is Address 23.

As stipulated it’s quick and dirty, but it works a treat when Comcast gets pi$$y.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The best passwords contain upper case letters and lower case, numbers and symbols. There are many programs available that will generate random passwords and then "remember" them all for you.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
One that works well for me is to use an old Mailing address from childhood. For some reason I remember many of mine.

They might look like:

133BDaisydriveburkton
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Now put a symbol in front of that and behind it to make it &133BDaisydriveburkton! and you'd have a pretty solid password.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
One technique I've used is to create separate emails for different types of accounts: magic, social, financial, and so forth. Create a base password that you can associate with each account. Then create your account on a web site using the base that goes with the email and add a symbol plus three or four letters associated with the web site. For instance, for the Café: if my base is "magic" I might use magic#caf.

(I know this went beyond the scope of only email passwords, but I had the same issues - partly because I was reusing my passwords on various sites. This helps a bit.)

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Email Hacked (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL